Author Topic: So…..Why are you NOT racing???  (Read 71357 times)

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
So…..Why are you NOT racing???
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:04:41 PM »
After a few discussions with people recently regarding VMX in Victoria its becoming clear to me that in some clubs numbers seem to be dropping off, no its not diabolical panic stations yet but it is cause for concern and addressing it is important to those who wish to see the sport continue to grow in this state. So i'd like to know why aren't you racing? I'll make it very clear though, this is not an opportunity to have a cheap shot at a: club, individual, track, policy you don't like etc. Nor does anyone wanna hear pointless nit picking for any reason at all, or to settle an argument. I and others are interested to know why, be as honest as you can in your answer as it will help form some sort idea as to the direction required to seek growth. Are you more keen to ride Vinduros? Is it cost prohibitive for you? Do you think your riding skill level is not of a high enough standard to race? etc etc etc, the more informative and honest you can be the better….

So, why are you not racing??

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: So…..Why are you NOT racing???
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »
#1 - $$$
#2 - Time to practice to be comfortable out on the track.
#3 - Some of us are our own worst enemies (me), we see lots of models we like so we buy them and then leave ourselves short for time and money to get to events.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
Injury and lack of funds. :'(

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 11:53:13 PM »
Work every week for me is only three days .... Wed, Sat, Sun .....Notice how inconveniently race meetings are more than mostly on the weekends.......

Still I have four days off every week ;D

and possibly a few relativity annoying personal health matters too, like avoiding having another heart attack.....  ::)   

And I gotten bloody lazy..... ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:03:07 AM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:57:23 PM »
Gmc hit it on the head I would say yes to all points I actually went riding this weekend on a mates bike because I didn't have one of my own registered bit upset by that some one with more than 10 bikes should have one registered and ready to go.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 06:51:38 AM »
If I pay $280 a year reg I can ride on almost all of Australia and the view is always different.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:16:04 AM »
As the secretary of Viper here's how I see it, mostly an expense factor with a few other considerations. For us it starts with a $70 membership fee per annum cover the clubs infrastructure & gets you started with M.A. To go racing we have a $70 entry fee which covers (hopefully), the cost of the track preparation, flaggies, first aid, track steward & M.A rider levy. There ain't much left out of that which our club actually keeps. On top of that if you haven't got an M.A race license, you need a one day license @ $55.00, all this to be "covered" by M.A insurance. I don't know anyone who's actually called upon M.A after a racing accident (big or small), & been helped by it, can someone give an example? Throw in fuel, food, accommodation & it's a big expense for average Joe to go racing. We dropped the junior entry fee this year (juniors ride for free) to assist with costs of those who have a number of kids racing as well. Chuck in the bit of pressure people's minds put on them when they hear the word race. I have many conversations with guys who say they just want to ride, not race. It's no wonder the ride parks which are charging $25-$40 to ride all day with no other costs are kicking goals.
I too am a tad gun shy after a huge crash I didn't cause & was left in a world of hurt for some time. Really got me thinking as to why I do it? I have been heard recently saying although I love to ride, I'm not sure I want to race anymore & the costs involved sure sway that in my head.
Mostly a cost thing which is the way of the world these days, every part of life seems to be a money grab by the powers that be.
K
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:05:59 AM by bigk »

albrid-3

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 08:07:53 AM »
I do a lot of milage during the week and when the weekend come around I don`t have the interest to drive anywhere.
1. Trying to retain the fire in the belly for racing.
2. $$$$
3. I buy to many bikes, thinking that I can do it all, my slush funds run short, then I starting selling, loose interest, I need to stay and keep one bike only. I am my own worst enemy.
4. cost of entries to high.
5. Far to many tracks.
6. 5-6 Round Victorian State Series. ( thats how it was before the split.) all work together.

Offline Spanish Armada

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »
1. Club costs (all insurance body's)
2.Travelling
To many clubs so to all to survive there is a definite need to get heads together to have one central track which would confirm to all classes from pre60 to pre 90 and juniors like Mick just said if the ride parks can do it then there's needs to be some serious thought put into it .

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 09:25:36 AM »
I race But its really putting a strain on
home duties
funds
time
its had my minister of war and finance confronting me on a number of occasions, and bullshit can only last for so long :-[
Has anyone got any new fabricated stories to help get me through :P

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 09:43:50 AM »
Personally....all of the above.
My thoughts a few years back were that we should just do more CD and HBBC type events without the hassles of big insurance and bike cover and then just a few "race" type events in each state that lead up to the nationals.
The rest of our riding would be covered on low key "practise" days.
We recently went out to Dalby where the club put on a practise day with sidecars invited. We had 4 or 5 20min sessions with about 40 mins in between each where the solos and minis went out....low cost ($40.00 per outfit) and low key. Started at a reasonable time(9.30) and finished at 3ish.
Best weekend in a long time. Soi much so that the sidecars decided not to do the following club round and went "practising" again instead at Harrisville.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »
I race when it suits me and time permits. My main reason not to race is apathy and time restraints. I will do more Vinduro ASAP. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:11:59 AM »
We had our 1st rd. of our new series yesterday , natural paddock $50.00 for one bike or $60 for as many bikes as you want . No other cost i.e. licencing or anything and if you pre entered then lunch included in the price .

With the format on one bike you get between 5 and 15 races depending on the model and Era.

Regional Prize giving afterwards 1st to 3rd in each class , Classics , Twinshocks and Linkage and 1st 125 recognised as well.

No club membership to pay

No licence fee to pay

Guidelines rather than hard and fast rules and we the rider organisers on the day have the final say there and then on the day .

Entry fee includes series points for big prize giving at end of series

Since last season we reduced the entry fee and are having extra regional races with prizes and numbers were up 30% on last year .

I know its different here but we don't get held up with scrutineering or long winded briefings , so racing can get underway early .

No red tape and no governing body raping the riders so all entry fees go back into running the events .

The Dick Mann theory works well for us  ;)

Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
I am still racing but I am racing less.

Why?

MONEY is the main reason.  Maybe the clubs need to get together and run meetings together.  Try to reduce their costs and give better value.

The cost of going to a race meeting is not just the entry fee.

Bike prep
Fuel and oil
Travel to the meeting
etc etc.

Then if you want to ride reasonably you need to practice more.

Really it is just a sign of the current times.  If you still have a job you may not want to risk injury which could lose you your job.

The clubs just need to give the best value you can.

MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline foxy999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »
Like this Kev see you there    ;)

Run by QVMX
19 Oct 2014

QVMX and BMCC Interclub Echo Valley
Race Day - Echo Valley Toowoomba