Author Topic: RM'ing an 81 PE  (Read 9831 times)

mainline

RM'ing an 81 PE
« on: July 01, 2008, 07:02:08 PM »
As I'm likely to be picking up my new (1981) PE175 from mr holeshot buddy on the weekend, I wanted to start picking brains on how to MX it a bit.

I know they were based on the RM's but how closely?

Apart from the obvious, like taking the lights off, how much of the RM stuff, like tank, seat etc is a relatively easy or direct swap?

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:23:06 PM by mainline »

oldfart

Re: RM'ing an 81 PE
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:20:48 PM »
I have a Pe 250 and Rm of the same year being 1980 - they are very similar and share a lot in common . With the Pe 175  the seat it is different at the rear mounts ( kicks up alot more ) - side cover is different due to size of baffle and also fixing points ( Rm tank on pe Frame fits - big gap between seat and tank) easy fix if you spend some time on it.

mainline

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 07:24:21 PM »
thanks for that, were the pe's based on a 125 frame or 250 (or a mix)

are you using that rm tank you mentioned? ;D

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 07:29:05 PM »
Are you going to be at NUDGEE on Sunday ,and how did I know you where going to ask that question.( in between mix ) 

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »
Mainline I have a mate about to sell a fair to rough  81 PE ,is a parts bike or rebuilder as seems to have shit bigend bearing. No I do not have a price or photo and it is located in Echuca  Victoria.  Pm me if ya interested for his contact number. Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:33:07 PM »
Hi ,
I have both A  81pe175,x( last twin shock) and an 80 Rm125T(also last twin shock,)
some parts interchangeable, seat base is same part No.  but different mounts and foam, but will bolt straight on,
tanks should also bolt up with the right mount plates
engines will bolt in either frame but not all parts are interchangeable athought some internal parts cane be used
ie clutch plates are the same but PE has more plates than RM therefore clutch baskets are not the same, etc
  my RM has remote canister shocks PE standard
Rear wheel /brake setup  Pe has brakes and sprocket together on same side for quicker removal,
If you need any specific info I can go and have a look if that helps.
cheers
Noel
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:23:32 PM by Noel »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 10:34:13 PM »
Yep all that but the real difference is in the exhaust port height and the transfers.In effect the PE is just a detuned RM which would probably make it a delight to ride.
Jesus only loves two strokes

mainline

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:11:43 PM »
thanks guys,

just picked up a front number plate, so now all I need is the seat (possibly), tank and rear guard.

oldfart, yep I'm trying to get to Nudgee on Sunday but I won't be riding. What bike number are you?

Thanks Tim, but the bike I'm picking up doesn't need anything other than the visual makeover I have planned for it. Thanks though.

Noel, thanks very much for the info, I may have to take you up on the offer at some stage in the future.

Is there an online Suzuki parts reference anywhere?

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
paul i might have a rear guard you can have ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »

mainline

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »
thanks for that Noel, let the research begin!

and Rusty, are you from Syria, or are you being cruel and referring to the one already on the PE?

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 07:54:23 PM »
I'll bring an Rm tank up as a loaner so you can set your seat up . Not riding this weeked as I have too much on . Be there at about 11 ish

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 10:21:01 PM »
no the guard i had is a petty yellow
guard that was on my rm370
i dont need it so its yours ;D
follow me to first turn

mainline

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »
alrighty, the stripping has begun (the bike not me) looks like the 125 tank is a perfect fit although one bracket is different. Rusty's seat may fit with work, and the guard is probably a goer.

I'm thinking of using the muffler i made for my YZ on the pe/rm or is it a pm? , so it looks like Rocksberg will be happening one way or the other!! , thanks guys for your help.

And can I just say, having owned Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis, that the Suzuki foot pegs are the best I've come across so far!! ;D

oldfart

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
Message sent with regards to guards    http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/1581