Author Topic: Pre 95 Class for NSW VMX  (Read 62597 times)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 95 Class for NSW VMX
« Reply #195 on: December 11, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
Good work Nathan, keep it up.

It's a real shame people have to go all the way to Bumf..k Louee just to have a ride. The sooner Metrop Sydney has a facility the better.

I and one other are putting a preliminary plan together at the moment ( very early, rough draft ) as to which angle to attack it. As I am heading OS in a couple of weeks we will not be having any talks with Council till early February.

This proposal has merit, will be very well patronized and is long overdue.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 11, 2013, 06:49:47 PM »
Cheers mate

would be great to see Penrith go ahead!

Like i mentioned, i am more than happy to help in any way to get it off the ground and running:)
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

TM BILL

« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
Lots of talk and not one mention of a meeting to take place between Pre 2000 enthusiasts.

Talk is cheap. Get off your arses. Throw some coin into a hat. Book a track and see how many show up. There will be your answer.

Wooo hooo, Its happening Ted old mate, i am working feverishly behind the scenes to get this happening! hence why i have been missing online for a few days!! All will be announced soon:)
How did you go with the council?

Problem being about gauging interest by how many turn up... Is that most people excited about the concept of above pre90 won't have suitable machines to be able to turn up and ride.  Once we all know the concept is serious and enough interest is out there, I think there will be enough numbers to enjoy social ride days together

Dont  bar up or take this the wrong way as im serious , wouldn't you open it up to any bike built pre 1990 1995 at least for a start . As what your proposing is still in its infancy i would have thought a lower age limit would be counter productive . I dont imagine you would have large numbers of pre 75 bikes rolling in , but maybe some evo and pre 86 bikes could make up numbers .
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:17:24 PM by TM bill »

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 11, 2013, 08:23:37 PM »
Lots of talk and not one mention of a meeting to take place between Pre 2000 enthusiasts.

Talk is cheap. Get off your arses. Throw some coin into a hat. Book a track and see how many show up. There will be your answer.

Wooo hooo, Its happening Ted old mate, i am working feverishly behind the scenes to get this happening! hence why i have been missing online for a few days!! All will be announced soon:)
How did you go with the council?

Problem being about gauging interest by how many turn up... Is that most people excited about the concept of above pre90 won't have suitable machines to be able to turn up and ride.  Once we all know the concept is serious and enough interest is out there, I think there will be enough numbers to enjoy social ride days together

Dont  bar up or take this the wrong way as im serious , wouldn't you open it up to any bike built pre 1990 at least for a start . As what your proposing is still in its infancy i would have thought a lower age limit would be counter productive . I dont imagine you would have large numbers of pre 75 bikes rolling in , but maybe some evo and pre 86 bikes could make up numbers .

Ahhhh yep, anyone is welcome, i thought that would be given!

we're not planning to exclude anyone who shows any form of interest. even if you don't have something of the era, but are interested, roll up on your modem bike.
Cheers

Nada

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 11, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »
Good stuff. It's great to read that there are people putting in the hard yards to achieve what they believe in. Well done.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2013, 08:50:06 PM »
Is that sunday/monday?
Or am I mistaken?

'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »

we're not planning to exclude anyone who shows any form of interest. even if you don't have something of the era, but are interested, roll up on your modem bike.

Bingo, perfect attitude.

I will be there. :)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 12, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »
Count me in, I'll bring my 440 Maico (evo) till I can get my 91  Kx 5 built

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2013, 08:51:24 PM »
Cool cool!! Yeah sorry weekend of the 1st & 2nd March 14!!

sorry. I was looking at 2015!!

I'll be there on the Saturday and Sunday:)

Hey ya Nathan S! I have my 92/93 CR 250:):):):):)
Cheers

Nada

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »

Hey ya Nathan S! I have my 92/93 CR 250:):):):):)

I want to see it in Herring/Castrol colours or I will be disappointed!

Have you registered on Retrodirtbike.com yet?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 12, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »
I'm in
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline middo24

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 12, 2013, 11:07:43 PM »
I don't think the age of the bike is the deciding factor in vmx anymore. In 1990 when vmx was up and running a 74 250 elsinore was only 16 years old but it LOOKED and rode like a vintage bike compared to a 1990 CR250.
Now a 94 CR250 might be 19 years old but it looks and performs like a modern bike and can hardly be called vintage. Sure there is a place for pre 95 and pre 2000 mx bikes but I don't think it's at your local vmx meet. I think they need their own Retro series or to be run as a support class at a modern club day..

every time I hear someone say just like a modern , I want to scream, ride a modern bike then ride a pre90 YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND
just an old fart with a  69 250 Persang, C&J XR500,89 YZ125 ,89CR250 & CRF450

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 12, 2013, 11:35:24 PM »
I don't think the age of the bike is the deciding factor in vmx anymore. In 1990 when vmx was up and running a 74 250 elsinore was only 16 years old but it LOOKED and rode like a vintage bike compared to a 1990 CR250.
Now a 94 CR250 might be 19 years old but it looks and performs like a modern bike and can hardly be called vintage. Sure there is a place for pre 95 and pre 2000 mx bikes but I don't think it's at your local vmx meet. I think they need their own Retro series or to be run as a support class at a modern club day..

every time I hear someone say just like a modern , I want to scream, ride a modern bike then ride a pre90 YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND
I have a 2010 CRF450 and a 89 CR250, I know the difference! The lap times between the 2 is not that different, it is not anywhere near comparable to the difference between a 74 CR250 and 90 CR250.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2013, 09:43:18 AM »
When you see the lap times published at a VMX meeting, there's remarkably little difference between the eras - far less than most people would expect.
The only real gap is Pre-75 to Evo, but if the track is smooth then even that gap is smaller than you would expect.

Personally, I go about as fast around an MX track on virtually any bike - while certain bikes do some things better its all swings and roundabouts. My talent and my balls limit my speed more than the bike does. That makes me slow on a modern, but reasonably quick on a Pre-78.

The reality is that we seperate eras for reasons other than their actual speed. Those reasons apply equally to Pre-95 vs moderns.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2013, 11:20:18 AM »
When you see the lap times published at a VMX meeting, there's remarkably little difference between the eras - far less than most people would expect.
The only real gap is Pre-75 to Evo, but if the track is smooth then even that gap is smaller than you would expect.

Personally, I go about as fast around an MX track on virtually any bike - while certain bikes do some things better its all swings and roundabouts. My talent and my balls limit my speed more than the bike does. That makes me slow on a modern, but reasonably quick on a Pre-78.

The reality is that we separate eras for reasons other than their actual speed. Those reasons apply equally to Pre-95 vs moderns.

Exactly.  I call it my "internal governor".  I have a certain comfortable speed and jumping distance.  I do not really care to go beyond that, because there is no Factory contract waiting for me, but I do have a mortgage, a wife and two young daughters to raise.  If I were 17 again and did not give a shit (Young, Dumb and Full of C*m) I would probably be doing everything I could to get faster each season.  I'm in it for the cool bikes and the fun times.  I can adapt to any era, but I will always have that special time in MX history that matters more than the others.
 ;)
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen