Author Topic: Pre 95 Class for NSW VMX  (Read 62596 times)

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 95 Class for NSW VMX
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »
sounds like fun i will dust off the wr500 (" wernt they just a lazy490") start sprucing it up , anyone know how to stop this thing igniting and lurching through corners

Bigger pilot jet.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »

"I just spotted it myself Geoff :-[.....I'm starting to worry now. I only came onto the forum at 9.30 and that's when I spotted the petition thread. All I did was fill it in and press the button once...at least that's what I thought I did. Maybe I did catch a dose of dementia at the hospital this evening ;D. I thought the dog was giving me some extra attention ;D."

Still your on the list Mark and that's good. ;)    ;)                                  Now about losing ya marbles.............. :o
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »
Signed #77
All the best mate.. From Victoria!
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
Hey Nathan
Any word on the 1st social ride day?
Venues maybe

Louee or mt Kembla?
'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

albrid-3

« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »
l have signed

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
I  dont come on this forum very often , mainly because of above, I find it very interesting HEAVEN was founded on the 20 ys & older rule,  funny I heard the same thing 10 yrs ago with pre85 then again pre90 ??????? dont get me wrong I have bikes from pre 65, pre70 , EVO & pre 90, & race EVO & pre90, & will have a pre70 persang ready in the next few yrs, so Im not anti "OLDER BIKES", nearly everyone that races VMX do so on a bike that means something to them, either it was what their dad raced, the bike their hero raced when they were a kid , their favorite bike they raced or the bike they wanted but couldnt afford in the day, which is is the reason I race the bikes ive got + I have an EFI CRF450 as well, when I spoke to nathan he asked me what I thought about PRE95 & my answer was    "it will happen as it is a natural progression in the older bike racing cycle", so please remember why you are racing your bike as there is younger people out there that thing the same as you about pre95 , cheers middo

Well said Middo,

That isn't the first time I've heard that about "HEAVEN" that it was founded on a 20 year & older rule, which I quite like in some resects. I got into VMX 3 or 4 seasons ago when I found out there was talk of "PRE-90" As these were what I rode & grew up with. I will be 43 next year & race EVO, PRE-85 & PRE-90. The reason I race all these classes is the fact I rode a lot these bikes back in the "so called day". For eg: I started riding a 1980 YZ80G & the last bike I owned back then was a 1989 KX500E1. I don't really have a desire to ride "PRE-95" bikes, as I didn't have anything to do with them. After selling my 89 KX500 I stopped riding for 20 years. Since getting into VMX I am finding an interest in older bikes that I wasn't brought up with. As for "PRE-95" good luck to them! I haven't got a problem with people wanting to play with their old toys! Lets ALL just keep in mind why we are doing it!  ;)
One thing that I point out every time this subject comes up, is the fact that the first vintage meeting was started when a pre 75 bike was 15 or 16 years old.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2013, 01:25:10 PM »
I don't think the age of the bike is the deciding factor in vmx anymore. In 1990 when vmx was up and running a 74 250 elsinore was only 16 years old but it LOOKED and rode like a vintage bike compared to a 1990 CR250.
Now a 94 CR250 might be 19 years old but it looks and performs like a modern bike and can hardly be called vintage. Sure there is a place for pre 95 and pre 2000 mx bikes but I don't think it's at your local vmx meet. I think they need their own Retro series or to be run as a support class at a modern club day..

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2013, 01:52:34 PM »
I don't think the age of the bike is the deciding factor in vmx anymore. In 1990 when vmx was up and running a 74 250 elsinore was only 16 years old but it LOOKED and rode like a vintage bike compared to a 1990 CR250.
Now a 94 CR250 might be 19 years old but it looks and performs like a modern bike and can hardly be called vintage. Sure there is a place for pre 95 and pre 2000 mx bikes but I don't think it's at your local vmx meet. I think they need their own Retro series or to be run as a support class at a modern club day..
That's the point I've been trying to make all along, but keep getting shot down by the usual subject as some sort of baby boomer Adolf Hitler of VMX. The differential in technology has closed up to the point that there is visually very little difference between a 1995/2000 bike and modern, the suspension is virtually the same and with the exception of the two stroke/four stroke thing, engine development, especially in the two stroke has hardly moved. Cut back to 1988 and the 16 year gap in technology is as wide as the Grand Canyon. It had jumped from primitive 7"x 4" travel that had hardly changed in the preceeding 20 years to the sophisticated linkage suspension and large diameter cartridge forks with up to 12 " travel, single leading shoe drum brakes had been replaced by twin spot disc brakes and air cooling had all but disappeared for liquid cooled engines.
I too think there is a place for the bikes of pre 95 or pre 2000 even but please don't call them vintage bikes. Their natural place in the scheme of things is as an extra class on a modern program or even better, as John says, with their own series.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:57:31 PM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »
I've held-back on entering this discussion, I think as riders of certain bikes (Pre 95) appear so will classes for them.  I do tend to agree that LTR bikes will chop a track up quicker than a bone-jarrer, so maybe not combine the classes at riding events but I really want to see them together at display events.

I definately feel there is a place for Pre 90 & Pre 00, anything that is not current and has an enthusiast following should & will have a place.

Here in Vic it's crazy having three bodies for older motocross bikes, suely CSC should combine with VCM and cater for up to Pre 78 or maybe Evo, and Viper should cater for Pre 80 (Evo),Pre 85, Pre 90, Post 90 2-stroke, Pre 2000.

I think Viper pretty-well cater for those classes save Pre 2000 (they do have a modern class),  Once a few Pre 95 & 2000 riders appear I am sure Viper will include them.

Hell I enjoy a '98 RM250 just as much as '69 DT250MX.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2013, 07:26:59 PM »
at what point does this forum stop becoming OZVMX?  By all means if the later guys want something great - as mentioned go Retro or something - but I thought here was for old clunkers?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2013, 09:25:03 AM »
at what point does this forum stop becoming OZVMX?  By all means if the later guys want something great - as mentioned go Retro or something - but I thought here was for old clunkers?
Why try and keep this such a cliquey group? They are all old bikes, it's just perspective. Maybe overlook the fact they aren't true vintage as we see our old bikes. Why not include and encourage? You never know, they might buy an older bike to compete in another class. Surely there is enough room in here for everyone.
You can say that about your 89 cr250. Just because of time restraints you couldn't add another class to what we already have. Another club would have to emerge, such as a long travel club. Say evo and later so as to be viable.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2013, 11:25:13 AM »
so I say again brad - at what point does this not become OZVMX - as I believe was the orginal intent.  Didn't complain about it - asked a question - should there be seperate threads on here that us old buggas can stay away from or should somebody start a new site - is this becoming the next www.MXTRAX.co.uk????
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
It has it's own thread I'd think.. Probably not clicking on the thread title with pre 95 would be a good start mate

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »
Why try and keep this such a cliquey group? They are all old bikes, it's just perspective. Maybe overlook the fact they aren't true vintage as we see our old bikes. Why not include and encourage? You never know, they might buy an older bike to compete in another class. Surely there is enough room in here for everyone.

Like Brad said about guys now buying older bikes to compete on the older old bikes... That's exactly what's happening. I have young guys asking me continuously about what old bikes the goods and is there any for sale.

TM BILL

« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2013, 03:33:46 PM »

Spot on John  very well said .

For some reason the pre 95 mob feel the need to aligihn themselves with the vintage movement and i cant understand why . Set up your own movement from scratch ( like VMX did ) and you have all the room for expansion into later eras without gate crashing and already established party where the majority of poepole involved dont want your later bikes , you are welcome but bring a bike that fits the already established movement .

Ross has already mentioned MXTRAX the Poms website and forum, they have a vintage forum and a 90s forum cos even the Poms with their liberal and fuct up twinshock rules recognise that 90s bikes have SFA to do with Vintage MX .

If there is the huge demand ( as you guys keep saying )then the things gonna fly and before you know it you will have your own series and nats and maybe even your own website  ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:45:36 PM by TM bill »