Author Topic: eBay RL250  (Read 11487 times)

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
Re: eBay RL250
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »
That home-made looking Suzuki by Peter Gaunt always reminds me of one of the bikes that gets ridden in pre-65 trials class in Brisbane by Robert Legatt. Its a pre-65 four stroke honda single road bike also with no front frame section and stripped down for competition. Someone who saw it for the first time thought it was a postie bike. Robert also built up a pre-65 Honda four stroke twin cylinder trials bike I think it was 175cc or thereabouts but was aparrently terrible to ride so he went back to the 125 single. I reckon a Jap two banger (pre-65 and preferably Suzuki cos I like Suzukis too) like you are talking about would leave Roberts Honda for dead in pre-65.
I don't think I have a photo of it to share (I'm not much of a Honda fan).
Doc have you thought about coming for a look at the goings-on at Brooweena this year. It's on 5/6 July and is an event for Classic and Twinshock trials bikes only. Run by Maryborough MCC. It's good camping and a very social atmosphere. Good spot to ride your RL around too without entering the event. Last year lots of people from the Historical MCC came along on their old road bilkes for a look too.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Doc

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 06:10:59 PM »
Feetup, no I haven't been to any twinshock trials meetings though I would like to. The pre '65 Gaunt replica is a possibility as the bike I have is '65 (same as '64) but it'll have to wait till I have spare time before I can go any further with the idea ;)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 11:52:57 AM »
Hey feetup, here's a couple of shots from June 07; a Trials meet near Beaudesert Q.
Can you identify the bikes and Riders?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

firko

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 12:20:29 PM »
This is an interesting thread considering I originally only put up an eBay Beamish and thought it'd die after one ot two hits. I love it when these things take on a life of their own. Speaking of Peter Gaunt (somwhere back there), Brian O' Connor, the Massachusetts Ducati guru I bought my Hindall Ducati motocrosser from has a rare Peter Gaunt framed 250 Ducati. It's a pretty slick thing I reckon
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 12:22:15 PM by firko »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »
Nice one Firko, I love Ducatis and I particularly like this one you've posted.
I'd love to ride that one to the shops on a regular basis - very sexy!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 07:31:19 PM »
Hey feetup, here's a couple of shots from June 07; a Trials meet near Beaudesert Q.
Can you identify the bikes and Riders?

Hey Wombat yes easy to do that - they are Classic class regulars Robert Eyres (Triumph) and Peter Sampson (James) and both of them are also sometime Twinshock class riders.

If you want to see lots more old trials bikes in action, come along to Brooweena. For the Kawasaki people, there will be at least two KT250s there.

Regards
David Lahey

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »
Sounds good - where's Brooweena in relation to Brisbane?
Here's some more shots from same meet.

On a personal note this was the first Trials meet I'd ever attended as a spectator.
I was dead set keen to find an old bike (it had to be old, something I could recognise as a Trials bike...) and scoured the 'for sale' ads for quite some time.
But then I went to a VMX and fell in love all over again...

Doc

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 09:50:40 PM »
Jeez that is one nice deadcat Firko!

firko

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »
Doc...Brians got a collection of "Ducks" (as he calls them) that are amazing. He's literally got a Ducati for nearly every AHRMA class from motocross to trials, dirt track and road racing. I'll sway from the thread just for a moment to show just a couple including this 450 powered Elsinore.

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 03:58:59 PM »
wow that red one looks great what a collection he must have

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »
To look that good AND sound like a Ducati...Mmmmm, sensory overload.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »
Sounds good - where's Brooweena in relation to Brisbane?
The big guy (Darryl Martin) on the yellow bike (SWM) from Toowoomba is a top class rider - many titles in twinshock trials including Aussie Champ.
Sidecar trials is sick and my favourite to watch.
Brooweena is about one stubby west of Maryborough (consequently some of the riders coming are also flat track racers).
It's an old sawmilling town and is on most road maps. The trial is just outside town -about 3 minutes North?
There are usually signs from the town centre. If you're serious I'll draw you a mudmap from town to the property.
David

Doc

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »
Not vintage sorry but check these out!

I maybe a little behind the latest greatest around (old) but I've just discovered another Yamaha I'd have grace the garage space at Suzuki Central..I'd not seen one before tonight and I'm quite taken with them after having a good looky  ;)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=99fDZdjYTpg

this little vid I just had to throw in for the shear fact this guy has unbelievable balance  :o

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh3DhRQu70A&feature=related
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 08:24:36 PM by Doc »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 08:41:54 PM »
Thats a nice little bike to ride to work Doc. prolly wouldnt hold many mowers though.
 It does seem like a nice bike to ride with Very soft suspension and the specs say its a lot heavier than i would have figured and underpowered more than id thought fpr a modern  ..94kg for the pro  and only 19bhp and all down low as expected.

i do like the styling of the pro cept that orange ring on the engine case and those knobs on the axles look like used plastic cups . Last bike i remember yamaha made that was black and orange was the first TT and they were and still are a damn Nice looking bike

Doc

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2008, 05:03:42 PM »
yeah, would be nice little commuter scooter eh Pokey. I agree those orange bits have to go, looks like BMX crap and yes somewhat underpowered but no less power than I am used to playing with on the old beasts so there has to be some fun in there somewhere :D