Author Topic: eBay RL250  (Read 11481 times)

firko

eBay RL250
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:16:36 AM »
Here's are rare bike at a very good price. Beamish frames were the go back in the day to sort out the supposedly overweight and poor handling RL. As a collector of aftermarket framed bikes I'd be bidding on this if I didn't have too many projects already (and a cash flow deficit!) eBay # 220240367552

Doc

Re: eBay RL250
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:08:20 PM »
The Beamish RL's are still pretty popular in Europe and not expensive as this bike shows Firko. About $1500au for a pretty decent normal RL is near top dollar here but I doubt a Beamish would go for much more in the UK. You may see them advertised for more but they don't have the following of trail or MX bikes and rarely would one fetch $2000. If you look around most older trials bikes are reasonably cheap unless it is something super duper rare or from the 50' and 60's. The Beamish RL's a rare thing here alright but not so rare over yonder motherland. Plenty of parts available and anything not available genuine is available via reproduction parts. I can probably get more reproduction and improvement parts for an RL than I could for the TM or TS. As much as the RL325's are supposedly the ducks guts I reckon they look absolutely pox in the styling dept. compared to the very appealing Jap versions. A stock RL weighs sweet fa too..about 89kgs..less than a TM125 and they actually handle pretty well if your not overly trials fanatical and just play around like moi. I've got 2 RL's now and even stock standard they are nothing short of bulk fun to ride. They have decent ratios with a good top end unlike most trials bike and this makes them a great playbike and not so serious trials mount. I love em' in case you hadn't noticed ;D this sounds stupid but for mine I'd begrudgingly take a Beamish RL over a stocker of the same condition only because of peer pressure( and a little common sense), they really do nothing for me unlike the 74 and 75 models  ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:13:15 PM by Doc »

firko

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:11:10 PM »
I bow to your knowledge on RLs Doc. I've got no doubt they're not too bad a trials bike but I they're uglier than shit, the Suzuki styling department must have been on strike that week. I wouldn't know a decent trials bike from a good one but must wonder why it was deemed they needed an aftermarket frame, you don't see too many aftermarket frames for other 70s issue trials bikes. In fact, you see more Beamish Suzukis than genuine RLs in the UK. There had to be a reason the stock frames were replaced so often. Maybe that's why Suzuki quickly got out of the trials business.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
There had to be a reason the stock frames were replaced so often. Maybe that's why Suzuki quickly got out of the trials business.

You can buy a frame brace kit from the U.K to suit the stock RL frame as it was prone to cracks and breakages at the rear of motor/ frame to tail section
Ban BLACK rims NOW

mx250

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:18:27 PM »
I remember talking to a bloke from AMCN who slammed the bike mercilessly but by the time his article came out it was the best thing since the Sammy Miller Sherpa. I wonder if the full page Suzuki ad across the page from the article had anything to do with his change of heart.
;D it wouldn't happen, not our objective 'by motorcyclists for motorcyclists' press. ;D

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 07:03:51 AM »
I bow to your knowledge on RLs Doc. I've got no doubt they're not too bad a trials bike but I they're uglier than shit, the Suzuki styling department must have been on strike that week. I wouldn't know a decent trials bike from a good one but must wonder why it was deemed they needed an aftermarket frame, you don't see too many aftermarket frames for other 70s issue trials bikes. In fact, you see more Beamish Suzukis than genuine RLs in the UK. There had to be a reason the stock frames were replaced so often. Maybe that's why Suzuki quickly got out of the trials business.

There were also Miller Hi boy frames for Honda TLs and Whitelock frames for Yamaha TYs, these were both popular conversions in the UK in the 70s :)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 08:25:24 AM »
You can also add Majesty frames for the TY250 and 175 Yamaha to your list of after market frames for Jap trials bikes.

I still have my Kawasaki KT250A (my first bike bought new in 1975) in the back of the shed that I intend to rebuild one day, along with 2 Bultaco 350 Sherpas.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

firko

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 09:18:25 AM »
Ok, Ok!  ;D I knew well that there were aftermarket frames for TY and TL trials bikes but they are pretty rare when compared to the Beamish Suzuki frames. Nearly every RL on Brit eBay is a Beamish, in fact there are two at present and no genuine versions at all.

Trials bikes are becoming more and more popular with vintage fans looking for another outlet for their hobby. I've got my unique Maico trials bike and a TY250 hiding in the shed down on the farm waiting for it's turn in the resto room. A mate has imported two Mexican made GRM (Cooper)trials bikes and another has just picked up a rough but going TL125 $100 via his local rag. Yet another mate is collecting parts to build a Villiers powered Wassell. I've been looking for a bare Beamish frame for a project I have in mind for down the track.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:42:35 AM by firko »

Doc

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »
Sticks and stones eh :o ..RL's fat an' ugly eh!  ::) ya nothin' but a pack of jealous buggers! :P :D

Just a sec, I'll put on my yellow goggles..'I' still say they are a beeeeeuuuuuutiful bike and shear bliss to ride! ;D If one was 'half serious' about trials then yep..stuff the old jap shit..buy a new Sherco or something half decent ;) Now this from a non trials but vintage trail enthusiasts view... I do agree the frame left a lot to be desired. The main reason was not geometry but simply because it was a first attempt at a 'production' chrome moly frame from Suzuki and they sadly stuffed it up. It has slow steering and a comparatively long wheelbase but this matched with wide TS250 ratios in 3rd 4th and 5th make for a bike that is more like a super super light trailbike to ride. The grunt of several angry mountain goats down low, the weight of a 125 or less and they are stable at 60mph on the open fire trails. Something that scared the piss out of me on my brothers twitchy TY was anything over 60kph. Interestingly the Japanese RL's performance seems to have been reassessed in more recent years with suggestions that it is/was more forgiving for average riders than the subsequent Beamish framed examples that followed '76 thru '79 and onto the 325's. The original Jap 250's are now commanding as much money and attention as the Beamish counterparts and they are still relatively cheap in comparison to vintage MX'ers. I dislike the Beamish RL simply on the asthetics only cause I'm like that. I'm not foolish enough to doubt the Beamish engine, handling and workmanship superiority . After they introduced the reed valved engine I lost all interest completely as it became too 'modern' in the engine department. Different strokes for different folks, oddballs included, I think they are a fun bike and I have 2 if someone wants to go for a ride sometime and see for themselves they are not as bad as everyone would have you believe ;) and just for the record..after the RL my next pick would most definately be the KT250 such as col has tucked away  8)

that original ebay Beamish only sold for about $700au but don't despair..here's another and Firko, he has other parts..maybe a frame 160245297344
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 05:18:40 PM by Doc »

mx250

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 05:58:33 PM »
I'm with you Doc. I think the RL looks okay. It looks 'wrong' for a trials bike (long and rangy, not short stubby and business like) but it looks neat tidy and together (unlike the Spanish and brits that looked cobbled together.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 07:47:04 PM »
On the 'some think it's sexy and some think it's plug ugly' type of discussion I've chosen the Uma Thurman analogy.
I think Uma Thurman is sexy; she doesn't think so and many other people don't either.
Eyes too far apart, a bit gangly etc; not your classic beauty but there's something about her.
To me that's what I see in the RL - good lookin' but not in the usual way.
I'm finished now.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 08:36:52 PM »
I think they're a good looking bike in either standard or Beamish spec...

I also know where there's a (Suzuki) frame for sale, if anyone cares.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 12:08:34 AM »
RLs aren't really that ugly, it's really only the tank that spoils their looks. If you want ugly trials bikes, look no further than Brownys Husky and my Maico (below) ;D. The crap front guard on the Maico is gone already and is replaced by a Monty Cota item. Sorry to hijack the thread Suziphiles.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:10:33 AM by firko »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 06:15:32 PM »
I love the tank on the RL's ....Bewdiful

but I also like the shape of the 185 tanks and the Stinger tanks  ;D

I do agree after the RL i wouldnt mind a KT either  just cause i can but for handling Id have to get another Ossa Explorer and it has a tank like a peanut

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »
Doc & Pokey,

You don't really want a KT250, You don't really want a KT250, You don't really want a KT250 ... An attempt at subliminal sugestion!

I am have enough problems chasing parts for my KT without more people wanting to do them up!

I will admit that I wouldn't mind an RL250, I rode a couple of examples back in the '70's and didn't think they were too bad, in my opinion (mug C grade solo ride who turned to sidecars), I also still want a TL250 to go with my 1976 TL125S.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!