Author Topic: Aus/NZ aftermarket frame builders  (Read 42772 times)

Offline torm92

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Aus/NZ aftermarket frame builders
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »
The pics of Dons sliders were taken in the very late 70,s. he made about a dozen of the frames , the one photographed has a Yammy TT500 motor that was raced by his brother Bert (195), the bike in the background (193) is of coarse Dons. I showed him the pics a few months ago, was amazed and told me the stories.
Restoring YZ 50,60, 80, 100 and 125. Racing a 490 and a 250. Have a complete collection of J,s.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
Thanks for the info #92, Here's a pic of Don's own bike fitted with the Richard Bendell / Don Stafford 4V head, also check out the external dampers on the lower fork legs.

Foss

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »
  Steve Roberts from Wanganui built the Spartan [i rode a mates ally pre unit t100 a bit].... He is an absolute gentleman is Steve & is famous for restoring a lot of things on 2 & 4 wheels... Steve received the [i think] Inventor of the year award on tv for building [what was it called!!] plastic fantastic gsx 1100 that road racer Dave & [or] Neville Hiscox raced. Someone may know more or put me right on details--all good. Cheers. ps, was two road racers he built--think one was [correct me please] carbon fibre based & other was an ally monocoque type frame--long time ago.

FINALLY found the pic of the alloy Roberts monocoque, she's a beauty, built to resemble the Katana of the day. As Morley mentioned, ridden with great success by Dave Hiscock.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2013, 07:51:19 PM »
That shot looks to be from the boxing day races in Wanganui at Suzuki's 50th from memory, the plastic fantastic was parked right beside it.
Both amazing bikes to see & appreciate the workmanship involved

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »
Spartan back in Steve Robert's workshop, first bike there in 20 or so years

Engine mounts & a few other parts had been changed which are being fixed now, should be a looker when it's finished

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
tony is it your spartan?   Mal just bought a TM400
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2013, 05:40:02 PM »
No Mike, Steve Gallichan sent me a photo of the progress of the 1 he found in Hunterville, had seen better days including needing a swingarm made. Luckily Steve Roberts still has all his jigs etc to make a new swingarm
Is being built up with a T110 motor if I remember correctly
Will look forward to catching up with Mal if he does any of the rounds this year or comes out to the Auckland round

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »
Glen their was
Kevin Kerr's a good soldier, there's a feature on his Goldie flat tracker in VMX #27.

She's still out there on show  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »
Steve Gallichan's freshly finished Spartan, I think this is his pre70 racebike & not the other bike he will be doing up for his collection. Steve Roberts wants to make a better looking alloy tank for it

Can't wait to see & hear how it goes

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2015, 05:28:46 PM »
Tony is that robos old white spartan?
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »
No, Steve Gallichan found this in very poor condition at the 2nd hand shop in Hunterville, Steve Roberts made a new swingarm  & generally got things back to how they left his place. Steve picked up another 1 last year on trademe  which is probably going into the collection unrestored
This bike is on display at the Sargent gallery in Wanganui starting next week in a display of Steve Roberts artwork otherwise known as the F1 Suzuki & other bikes he built
I thought Robbo's bike was AJS/Matchless single but I could be wrong as it was about 20 years ago that I came up for the couple of early meetings & saw it

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2016, 10:26:53 AM »
Best is in the West !!

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2016, 12:31:40 PM »
Thanks for this Allison. I'm proud to be part of Kevin's story

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2019, 09:00:16 PM »
Was over at Steve Roberts place today giving him my 74 swingarm so he can confirm that the subframe isn't twisted after he replaces the rear downtubes & straightens the seat tubes.
He told me there are 4 plastic fantastics, he has the prototype & #4 which was built as a road going racebike with lights etc. The aluminium monoque which was built before these was a 1 off though
The TR500 next to it is quite interesting, the frame & bodywork were never built into a bike back in the day & the owner of them offered them back to Steve a few years ago which he really appreciated. He said he could have made a new frame but to him that would be a replica even though he was the only builder. The motor in it is missing pistons but he has another being built up to fit shortly, now he just needs to find a Spartan & he'll be happy