Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in the VMX bunker  (Read 20732 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Fear and Loathing in the VMX bunker
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »
You might not fully agree with CJ's Hammer and Tongs Credo but it's definitely worth reading.

http://www.siegecraftnw.com/credo1.htm
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Fear and Loathing in the VMX bunker
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
we have a few kids in vmx in brisbane
but only cause it is dads bikes
my interest is 1973-1980
i have no interest in anything prior to this
i have no interest in pre85 pre 90
i am 52 years old
i do agree my kids will have no interest in my collection
when in gone
will it still have value ???

Simo63

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
I've read that before firko, possibly through a link on this site some time ago.

And I tend to agree, this is the time to be enjoying these bikes.  And whilst there are a couple of kids coming up through the scene up Qld way as ElsinoreYZ has pointed out there probably won't be enough and maybe not all of them will stay. Why?  Because apart from those special kids like Lockie Fox (who is currently restoring and race prepping a CZ as well), the bikes won't hold a great deal of relevance to them.  Same with collectable cars.  Even in today's market, the baby boomers are paying lots of money for an XY GT (even replicas can pull $50K or more) but you couldn't get that for a 1926 Dodge.  Again why?

Supply and demand.  Supply is no good without demand and those market forces sets the prices but that's another story although the demand over here is what is pulling the bikes from the US.  And the fact that plenty have now been imported has led to us having a wider choice plus the price being more affordable.  Bit of a win-win for us really.

So get out and ride what you got and, in the words of one Peter Geoffrey Brock, have a red hot go  ;D  As I'm hitting the big 5-0 this year i'll just add in " while you can"   ;D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »
REad all 5+ pages.  best thing i have read....period. makes perfect sence, anyone has every organised an event should resonate all the words.    THE focus on Participation and cost effective racign is often missed by many clubs trying to host a classic event.  There is more to it than a modern cash and race mentallity.

74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »
THE focus on Participation and cost effective racign is often missed by many clubs trying to host a classic event.  There is more to it than a modern cash and race mentallity.

You are so right with that fact that most club look at the events they run with the main aim being to make money. I am in the final process of organising a open Moto Trial which is a part of the SA Trials Rider of the Year series. THe first thing that I was asked when I put the proposal to run this event to my club was "How much money will we make?"  It is disheartening that the club has this attitude, my main reason for running the trial was/is to introduce our junior riders to another aspect of motorcycle sport as club focuses mainly on MX and enduro riding.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »
It's an opinion I've expressed before and like ElsinoreYZ my interest runs between '70 and '80.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 07:00:45 AM »
I like how he mentions about bikes going O.S. a few times.

The value of bikes being a generational thing has been discussed a few times.  There could always be the turn around.  I've just seen it happen with Old Harley's.  There's a whole new crew of youngsters who have started on scooters, moved on to bobbing old trail bikes and road bikes and have realized that Harley's are the real deal and are buying old shovelheads to bob.  Bobbers are the lastest craze amongst these hipsters.

So who knows, todays ten year olds might find vmx to be ubber cool in twenty years time.

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 07:35:52 AM »

Most of it's True what he said but it also depends on the
     enviroment the kids are raised in these days.
     But a lot of older or current Riders are not helping the cause
     by having a shed full of bikes sat there doing nothing but sit
     there .
     Try and buy a CZ  Greaves  or early Husky and they don't hit
     the market too often.. why because because there are too many
     blokes with more than 1 or 2 in the shed.
     They are really the enemy of the sport.
      I had a bloke tell me a while back he had 28 yes 28 Greaves in
      His shed  tell me what real Value is He to the V M X movement
      They should be out there being Ridden buy 26 other Riders..

The Stig

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:26:43 AM »
The Stig , I totally disagree with you there all my bikes have been built from wrecks or parts ,Ive never bought a running bike (sorry just remembered one from Nifty)there are so many bikes out there to be found . Just because some of us have multi bikes ,I have not ridden for 2 years due to work so do I have to sell my bikes ? I collect and restore bikes that is my passion . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »
  But a lot of older or current Riders are not helping the cause
     by having a shed full of bikes sat there doing nothing but sit there
, I totally disagree with you there all my bikes have been built from wrecks or parts 
Me too, especially Stigs "enemy of the sport" last sentence (above) which I find a bit offensive. I've got a number of bikes and haven't raced for a few years for health reasons. Going by your statement Stig, because I don't actually race my bikes I should be selling them to someone else..correct? Well sorry to disappoint you but that's not going to happen until I'm good and ready ;D.
Like Iain, nearly all of my bikes have been built from bare frames, basket cases and/or other peoples cast offs. Rather than taking bikes away from the sport I reckon I'm adding bikes that didn't exist in the first place. I get a lot of joy from building them and riding them at the farm. Eventually I'll be return to racing on my dirt trackers and will be allowing other racers to race my motocrossers at certain meetings, not that it's anyone's business what I do with my bikes anyway ::). I do agree however that hoarders who own large numbers of one particular brand are a bit annoying, Anthony Suttor's 100 plus Bultacos immediately comes to mind, but I don't accept the argument that bikes are impossible to get. The rare bikes have always been rare and the common bikes are still common..the status quo remains the same but if you really want a particular bike and you're passionate about the hunt you'll eventually find what you're looking for. It's always worked for me.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:41:51 AM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
REad all 5+ pages.  best thing i have read....period. makes perfect sence, anyone has every organised an event should resonate all the words.    THE focus on Participation and cost effective racign is often missed by many clubs trying to host a classic event.  There is more to it than a modern cash and race mentallity.

+1
quote:FUN:I puzzled over how to write that down- I looked up synonyms for the word FUN. But somehow "fun" just doesn't have anywhere near enough horsepower to represent how monumentally incredible this experience is... the family, the blitz, the smell of two stroke smoke, the glimpses - and moments crystalized in your mind's eye as you lie in bed in the successive days.

Best is in the West !!

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »
    Stig when you have run events or worked behind the scenes for as long as most of the Enemies of the sport then you can speak . If you look at the collectors  that have multi bikes they have been in the sport since before VMX , Twin shock Trials , Vinduro  was even in the MA rule book . Iain 
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »
Hoarders are always going to be there. Most of these guys are not collectors they just cant help themselves. Sadly many a choice ride slowly lowers itself into the ground and turns to rust. I myself know were there are whole sheds full of Montesa's, Bultaco's, KTM's and even RH's Suzuki's that have not seen the sunlight for years let alone turned a wheel these people dont  sell anything and sadly you know that these bikes will die a lonely death.
All I can do if I cant race myself is to lend my bikes to someone who can. We need to focus on what we can change and what we can actually do something about. IMO worrying about some old hoarder with 50 bikes will not help put your efforts into what can be done. I do understand the frustration but butting head with these hoarders will only lead to head aches and empty trailers they get off by letting you know what they have and the fact you cant have it. It's there motivation.   
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline ksithumper

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »
The way to go, is to have kids. That way all your bikes are still raced and you also spread the word to a new generation.

It costs the same as racing yourself but you get to bask in the glow of being called 'sponsor' (still broke, but with a Title...) The motocross is still fun and you can actually get out of bed unaided on Monday morning.

The good bit is that the breeding is also nearly as much fun as the racing. The motos seem shorter these days though  ;D

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
    Stig when you have run events or worked behind the scenes for as long as most of the Enemies of the sport then you can speak . If you look at the collectors  that have multi bikes they have been in the sport since before VMX , Twin shock Trials , Vinduro  was even in the MA rule book . Iain 

Me to Iainyz i go back to Early 60s first bike was a 350 AJS plunger frame..
     that was before Duffy's at Narre Warren.
     And i was waving a flag for 2 years before i got my first bike
     Like you i have 7 different bikes in my shed most bought as Basket cases that
     i am doing up as time and money allow mainly trail bikes thou .
     they are all different Makes and models only 1 of Each
     Most People who know us now we are still the First to offer a club a Hand on
     the Day..if they need it..
     To me if some one has 20 different bikes  Trials. R/R .Scramble . S.circuit
      good on them i was mainly referring  to some one with that many of 1 Brand
      of bike..
       I should have said They are not Helping the Sport Sorry about the Wording

The Stig