Author Topic: MAICO Pre-60 Alloy Oval Barrel Blizzard Project.  (Read 75650 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: MAICO Pre-60 Alloy Oval Barrel Blizzard Project.
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
Ok, time for me to be positive, even if I have to force a smile ;D. well that wasn't too hard, great to have the icon to click on ;D See, done ;D See

Any how, I have misspent a lot on this project. I usually don't know if the idea is acceptable, until it can be measured. So it feels great when a win is had,,,,,, as I collect components for the build :)
The Blizzards run a steel lower triple tree clamp. Through books from Germany, I have found that the predecessor to the Blizzard

Actually ran an all alloy triple set.

These just turned up. They ran upside-down forks back then, so the triples easily accommodate the 35mm Norton Road-holder forks. Eureka, you little beauty bottler, Bingo!

"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Maico-Mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2014, 03:23:05 AM »
This little beauty just arrived. YeeHa 8)

The numbers stamped on the frame match the numbers stamped on the ID pate.

This frame to me proves what I had been hoping for, that the second generation of Blizzard frames were indeed being produced en mass out of the factory from sometime during 1959. It has a fabricated steering head instead of the earlier cast steel one. A heavier oval shaped tubing is used for the upper backbone and also the main front down tube. I have spotted several other significant upgrades in regards to geometry and strength failings of the earlier frames.

Well done !
This frame is for the M250B => Behörde. That means government, like army, police, customs authorities etc..
Most of them were produced for the army, because Maico has won a contract with them, against rivals like BMW and DKW.
Production starts in late 1958!
The parents of the Bike are the MC modells of 1957 and so the frame is nearly the same in matters of geometry and strength :)

Just cut the additional parts away and ready ist the MX Bike  :) :) !

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2014, 10:34:53 AM »
This little beauty just arrived. YeeHa 8)

The numbers stamped on the frame match the numbers stamped on the ID pate.

This frame to me proves what I had been hoping for, that the second generation of Blizzard frames were indeed being produced en mass out of the factory from sometime during 1959. It has a fabricated steering head instead of the earlier cast steel one. A heavier oval shaped tubing is used for the upper backbone and also the main front down tube. I have spotted several other significant upgrades in regards to geometry and strength failings of the earlier frames.

Well done !
This frame is for the M250B => Behörde. That means government, like army, police, customs authorities etc..
Most of them were produced for the army, because Maico has won a contract with them, against rivals like BMW and DKW.
Production starts in late 1958!
The parents of the Bike are the MC modells of 1957 and so the frame is nearly the same in matters of geometry and strength :)

Just cut the additional parts away and ready ist the MX Bike  :) :) !

Danke Marcus
1959 ID Plate

To date, it has been an expensive but enjoyable education.
Your knowledge will be invaluable to our builds. There are a few of us wanting to build and race these early Maicos.
Danke.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Maico-Mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »

Another expensive ebay purchase for this project,,,,,,,Uuuumm
Yeap just as I suspected

The whole world has Its share of impossible to educate D#*B C^%TS
It is just that some countries call them by different names ::)
            DUMM K*^TS maybe.

Cut the first 4 or 5 fins away and put a selfmade alloy barrel on it like this:

That will improve the cooling too  ;)

Offline Maico-Mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 24, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »
Here a 175ccm with this conversion:

Offline Maico-Mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2014, 03:35:55 AM »
Do you know about the "crankshaft conversion" (400'er rod in 250'er crank) in this forum?!

Or the crank sealing "problem" ?! Please let me know, because this are the 2 requirements for tuning and reliability  ;)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:38:55 AM by Maico-Mac »