Author Topic: POKEY hows the 185  (Read 13027 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
POKEY hows the 185
« on: August 13, 2007, 11:11:11 PM »
Pokey just want a update on your TS185 project got any pics
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: POKEY hows the 185
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 11:48:11 PM »
Mate.. had a huge pc crash and lost the freekin lot. Luckily a few pics survive in photobucket of the path from wasp nest to ... 8)
 Have been damn busy lately so havnt had a chance to play with her for awhile but she is coming  along.
 The "Institute" has my barrel and soon when i pull my finger out some other parts to get her  humping.
 Frame  paint seat wheels controls guards and brakes are all taken care of . Just need the engine and gearbox sorting  and a decent pipe and she will be scaring the crap out of me and  i dare say a lot of pre75 250's

shooot.. bugger all difference really  ;D

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:00:19 AM »
I scored one a couple of months ago and the bloke reckons its running a early HONDA CR down pipe and from what it looks like he's telling the truth it looks like it was meant to be.

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:10:21 AM »
That pipe could well fit. , unsure how she would go though .  My pipe i believe will be an "Institute" derived  one seeing as they shall have all the  specs to tune for.

I remember a riding buddy  changing the pipe on his cr125  one day and we  just matched it to the 185 and yeah it did look like it would do the job.. never got around to bolting it up.
 i have the  Torque pipe  she came with but  thats an enduro pipe  and an underslung  custom job  is what she will be wearing on the track most likely early 2008 at this rate .. Hows the Indian  coming along?

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 05:52:17 PM »
Hey the side covers look real trick ....looking good , is that the finished colour

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 06:45:57 PM »
Yeah mate.  Silver be her colour. well Holden platinum .
 I thought about doing the yellow  but since Phlolina  yellow paint be  one of those legends passed down by  bench racers  long since passed to the chequered flag in the sky  and since the 185 never came  in yellow  she scored another coat of Silver.
 Side covers are modified  repro glass Falk units ala mid 70's Maico. as is the rear guard. front guard will be  Yamaha DT200L as it has the correct bend and  not a lot of rear over hang so the engine  gets air and it doesnt foul on anything.
 TM Triples/ Rm80 tubes /185 legs /Tm125 rims /185 hubs/ pokey airbox and seat base/ magura controls /CR250 shocks which may get swapped out in favour of the konis after they get rebuilt.. Oil tank is inside the  airbox and yes the seat still hinges for ease of access to filter  CDI and oil.

and No bloody   stickers , its Vintage after all 8)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:51:05 PM »
pokey i got a stiffy... ;)

they side covers part of the seat ? like a one peice ?

whats the black thing in the back ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:34:31 PM »
Nope freaky they be just sidecovers. was toying of making a full La de da  kit for her but figured she will only toss me up the paddock and break something so she scored normal stuff.
 The black thang is a KL with a black bit on the tank, I try hard not to look at the bitch oif a thing, why kawasaki thought it good to change heads and cams every freekin year and nothin else  confounds me

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 07:43:41 PM »
Hey pokey, heres a breakdown of my TS/TM185 project gearbox
(YES!! you inspired it ;D ;D)

RM125S straight-cut primary and basket 18t-61t (19t-61t stock185)
stock 185 input and output shafts

with 1st drive (14t stock shaft)
      2nd drive (17t from tm/rm125 (16t stock185))
      3rd drive  (20t stock 185)
      4th drive  (22t from tm/rm125 (23t stock185))
      5th drive  (25t stock 185)

1st driven (30t from tm/rm125(33t stock 185))
      2nd driven (27t from tm/rm125(29t stock 185))
      3rd driven (25t stock 185)
      4th driven (23t stock 185)
      5th driven (21t from tm/rm125(20t stock 185))

This is what is going into my bottom end as the RM basket gets 2 extra plates and still fits inside the clutch cover, which is a 1976
type that looks the same as the TM ones. The engine is going into a TM 125 chassis that I picked up at the swapmeet this year
I have good o.e.m forks, tank, seat, wheels and a RM125S ignition to go in it, I'll make my own pipe and only mildly port the cylinder. I will also shave a few mm of the bottom of the piston skirt to increase the intake port timing (you have to take 5mm of the bottom of ts125 pistons to use them in TM125's) so I will start small and work my way up from there. I'll post some pics when I have more than a pile of bits to take pictures of.

I intend my TS/TM to look as close to stock as possible in the hope no one will notice  :D :D :D
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 08:00:44 PM »
notice ?  what you passing us :O)
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 08:03:19 PM »
Like a lady with a deep voice, it might look the goods but it don't sound right?!  ;)

(An IT175G/H top end on a YZ125G is another "hang on that don't sound right" bike too)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 08:05:37 PM by cyclegod »
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »
i knew a lady with a deep voice once but she moved to melb.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 08:43:44 PM »
Yes Pokey sounds right for the little Indian as well early 2008 it would be nice to have a bike that works with hernia opps and a shed being built for more space out the backyard and now the wife wants to go back to England to see the first new grandchild. Time and money mate

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 08:46:02 PM »
Sounds like you have got it sorted  not to bad Cyclegod.  do check out 2nd gear though as it will spin on the shaft.. well will in a stock 185 .

Thats a good headsup of the Clutch and  cog sizings mate as I have been toying with the idea of putting the 76 sidecover  on her .  Piston should only require a poofteenth taken  from the inlet if your staying stock. about 1mm if that.
 intake port should measure 45mm wide  and base is 92mm from top of the  sleeve with a height of 20.5mm
 just cleaning up the intake and putting a decent carby on it so she breathes makes a hell of a difference.

My  barrel wont be quite that  umm mild  ;D

Lookin forward to the pics mate

Offline pokey

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 08:51:38 PM »
Aint it  the way jimson...women and babies .  if we could only get them interested in dirt bikes  life would be way sweeter for us .
 Hmmm  pommie land  does have some nice  bits ive noticed  so  do  make sure you take a big bag   ;D

Will be good to see something a bit different circulating the tracks  like the Indian  instead of the  normal flood of japanese machines. I hope your taking it slow after the Op  and just ease into it mate .  It will all work when its ready to  be ready is my theory on life.