Author Topic: Race Tech Seminar.  (Read 5203 times)

maico police

Race Tech Seminar.
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:17:07 PM »
Just finished day one of the Race Tech seminar and it was everything you'd want something like this to be and more!

Paul Thede is an extrdroidinary guy. Charming, funny, down to earth and with a fair amount of humility to boot.
Lots of suspension from the twin shocks to eighty era bikes are talked about because of course (as we all know) big things started to happen. I'm constantly punching the air in joy! ;D

As an added bonus Kim Ashkenazi (is that how you spell his name?) is also here and we had a great old chat about the old bikes and times and he informs me he's keen to give the pre 90 and 85 scenes a go. He looks as fit as buggery and sharp as a pin. He would have been at the Mr Vintage Motocross but of course it clashed with the seminar.
Nice guy.

Ah. Another six days of suspension immersion. Bliss...... :)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Race Tech Seminar.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:15:29 AM »
just spoke to ross on the phone , glowing report on the first day ,paul thede sound like a very knowleable guy ,(and freindly too) there,ll be no christmas cards from sth australia this year ross  lol

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »
I just pulled down an 86cr shock with a gold valve. I was wondering why it was so stiff turned out the valve was in upside down ! It also had a non removable bleed , must be one of the very first gold valves ever made.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »
I'm sure Mont you already own the Race Tech 'Suspension Bible' - that's a book that stays by my bedside for regular rereads.  And, with the 'how to' section in the back, in the garage for rebuilds of my modern's suspension.  Saved me thousands, and allowed me to get rid of my modern's dreaded 'mid stroke harshness'.

Would love to do the seminar - can only imagine how much more you'd be across at the end of five days talking suspension....

maico police

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:06:08 PM »
Yep. I'm just a sponge soaking it all up. Today was spent out at Shock Treatment's workshop and man they've got some cool stuff there..... 8)

The best part up 'till now is probably making a lot of stuff from the bible gell in the head. That and seeing the work station set-ups.

And yes there was talk of Gold valves being put in backwards and being ridden like that for years. :o

Lots of cool tools to buy as well......

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:21:36 PM »
do you get a discount on the tools at the seminar ? what about parts after you've completed the course?

maico police

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »
Yes. Good discount on the tools Brent. I've bought one or two ::). Also on consumables and a little more if you're a registered business with an abn.
Really nice people Jan and Terry. Can't be more than helpfull and willing to help out with a problem over the phone.

Another bonus is that there isn't a model of fork or shock that Paul hasn't dealt with in the past thirty years and he's knowledgeable about the less than well engineered units (ahem  ::)) and how to fix the glitches. :)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
Yer I went to the factory a few times years ago , last time was 1990 I think . Have had three mates working there at one time or another. I was one of the first to get some goldvalve stuff that way. Always thought of doing the course , oneday ::)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »
ross will you offer friendly service.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:36:11 PM by paul »

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
Everything about Ross is friendly.
Good to see you are having a great time Ross.
Cheers, Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

maico police

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:22:04 PM »
Aw shucks. Thanks guys. ;D

Seriously along with ride coaching, this has to be one of the best things I've ever spent money on when it comes to dirt bikes.

Even though I've tinkered around suspension most of my life and had a good look at Paul's book over the years, now it's like the penny's dropped and everything about the 'bouncy bits' makes sense.

There's no secrets with these guys. They'll share everything they know with you..... ;)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »
so what u beaut tools are you now the proud owner of ?

maico police

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »
Shop shock spring compressor, seal drivers, spring tester, WP charging tool, shock seal bullet tools, better nitrogen filling gear than what I already have, larger regulator, preload adjuster tool, fork bleed tool set, cartridge holding tool, shaft holding tools, vacuum bleed pump, Showa/KYB cap wrenches and I'm going to stop typing in case I think about it too much, get buyers remorse and neck myself..... :-[
(There might be a tub of grease in there somewhere)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:51:01 PM by Mont »

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
Have you asked the question '' why does the shock shaft return up only after it has been gassed up'' ;)

maico police

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 12:00:40 AM »
Yes Jason.
Because the  volume of oil that the shaft has displaced to the reservoir on compression forces the shaft out again (with help of about 175 psi in the reservoir when you charge it up)  ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:09:27 AM by Mont »