Author Topic: 84 CR 500 brake stay  (Read 6228 times)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
84 CR 500 brake stay
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:55:50 PM »
OK Honda gurus.  What is the deal with the front of the brake stay?  The previous owner had rigged up a very agricultural arrangement that I have replaced with the original item (2nd hand off ebay).  There must be a bearing in the front part of the stay.  Does anyone know what the deal is ?

Thanks in advance.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Come in 84 CR 500 experts
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:40:54 AM »
Looking at the parts list there is 2 collars and 2 seals.  Would anyone have the collars to sell me or know wher I might be able to buy them.  ALso would anyone know what size the bearing in the end of the brake stay is.  Is it a spherical bearing like the Yamaha set-up.

Sorry for all the dumb questions I am new to this model  :-\.

Cheers

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: 84 CR 500 brake stay
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
i have the 85 model Tony, it has a sperical bearing in the front and then a small collar each side and a seal each side of that.

if it helps i can get the OEM part numbers for you.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 06:41:17 AM »
Thanks Hoony, I think the 85 is the same - the parts seem to ne NLA so I will have to do some hunting.  I was hoping an aftermarket bearing would do the job, but if the Hondas are like the pianos they used odd sizes.  Maybe a wreckers would be my best bet :-\.

What is a good source of parts ?  These Hondas are a bit of a new world for me (very cool though  ;D )

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 12:19:41 PM »
Good on you for stepping outside the square. Keep it up and you'll end up with something euro in the shed!
eBay is your friend. There is an abundance of cr stuff in the u.s. they don't have a problem pulling apart low hour bikes either. A good one will turn up for you.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
Ok i looked at the parts Fiche and it lists the original Part numbers as

43432-KA3-730 Collars (need 2 of them)
91272-KA3-711 Dust seals  (need 2 of them)

these numbers may be superseded by others

the Spherical bearing is not shown as a separate time, but if my cloudy memory is right i think it is a standard "IKO" brand and can be sourced from a bearing supplier if you pop the original out and measure it up and take as a sample.

as Brad said EBAY USA is you best friend here for CR500 stuff, nothing available 2nd hand here pretty much.

and welcome to the Red side  ;) just got to work on Hilly.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. 8)

Hoony I think Hilly is a dyed in the wool Piano fan that will never change  :o :D :D :D

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 01:04:57 PM »
yeah i reckon you are right, let me know how you get on. i think i wrote the number down for that sperical bearing somewhere but buggered if i know where  ??? ???
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 01:15:49 PM »
Yeah, one of his daughters rode a CR80, but he is trying to corrupt her by buying her a YZ125G to ride in Evo class ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for your help.  I suspect foul play on the stay I bought off ebay.  Where the bearing goes measures 19mm ID.  The honda parts list says the seals that go next to the bearing are 13x18x3.  I doubt the dust seal is supposed to be loose inside.  The collars are another issue  :-\  can't find them anywhere.

For info the end of the brake stay where all this happens measures 14.5mm across and the brackets on the frame are 15.5mm apart.  I deduce from this that the whole kit and kaboodle goes inside the brake stay.

I spoke with AdamN about this and I might just have to start from scratch and get the collars turned up.  Probably not a big deal.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
i can measure up the parts if you need, let me know and i can do it in a few days. off to Take Mini Hoony to an indoor playcentre (hope i don't get stuck in a pipe  ::) )
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
I fell your pain ;D.  I have small kids too and they INSIST that I follow them through the whole maze :o :o.

Don't go to any trouble on my account. I'm sure I can work something out.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 10:06:23 AM »
To close this one out ....

After much research I finished up using one of these.  Fits perfectly.  Doesn't require lubrucation, is dirt resistant and only cost $10.

Made of plastic  :o :o

http://www.igus.com.au/wpck/default.aspx?pagenr=2493&C=GB&L=en

Not ideal, but it works  :-\  I bought 2, so if it ever wears out I can toss it and put another one in.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »
direct fitment Tony? or did you need to modify the stay? what size is the one you used for future reference.
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »
Fitted straight in Hoony  - no modification whatsoever  8) 8)

It would pay to measure the inside of the rod first.  Mine was 19mm, but as i said I suspect foul play as the EOM seals are 18mm  :-\

I used the one with the 8mm centre hole - KGLM-08.  It fits nicely over the 8mm "Bolt" that goes through the brake pedal and the brake stay.

If you ever have yours off for some reason it would be interesting to see what the standard rod internal dimension is

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 08:34:31 PM »
If you ever have yours off for some reason .....................

I'm Married, i never get to have it off.
1986 Honda CR250RG