Author Topic: Making your own tools  (Read 10384 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Re: Making your own tools
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 10:06:49 am »
Hoony, you are right about the apprentices, my son was doing app' as electrician and was with one of the training centres that put him out to different employers, and they had him pulling cables on industrial jobs or digging trenches on estates, yet a mate of his got on with an electrician who from day one taught the trade too make sure "his apprentice" was a good all round tradesman. There are I'm sure a lot og good tradesman who pass on their skills to apprentices, but unfortunately there are big gaps and a lot of kids fall in and get disheartened or take years to get it right.

I was lucky, left school at 16 and was apprenticed to an old Italian at a Fiat and Alfa service garage, had all the tools and machinery and refused to sublet anything out, we had to do it in house, and on the odd occassion where something had to go out, like welding a cracked ally cylinder head he would send the best mechanic with the job to go and see how it was done to see if we could do it next time. And he made a lot of the tools himself. Alfa would want some stupid price for the tooling to set up the rear diffs, and they were a weird set up, so he made the lot from scratch and of course improved them! He was a great tradesman, Agostino Beninca, sadly the Lexinton ciggies got him. Yep, did not know it at the time but was was very lucky,  He told me years later that I got the job because the other applicants were either too big or too small for the well used overalls he had and that by employing me he did not have to buy new overalls for an apprentice that would not make him money for about two years  ::)

Ayway, back to making own tools, this is the tool to convert a standard tension wrench to a left hand tension wrench so I can properly tourque the flywheel nut on my Husky

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 10:34:20 am »
Great story , top stuff
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 12:48:25 pm »
Ayway, back to making own tools, this is the tool to convert a standard tension wrench to a left hand tension wrench so I can properly tourque the flywheel nut on my Husky
Brilliant in its simplicity. I'm tempted to go out to the shed and whip one up right now. ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 12:53:53 pm »
Love the tension wrench adaptor, so simple when you think about it. don't you just love need & ingenuity a perfect match !
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 04:46:08 pm »
 Great tool.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 07:10:47 pm »
Neat ,simple and  very functional Gippslander!! Have made one up today ;) Cheers Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 10:22:07 pm »
Being allowed to make tools must have been a government job thing.
It didn’t happen in the private sector. As an apprentice I had to make my tools when the foreman wasn’t looking.

Toolboxes nowadays all come with ball bearing runners on the drawers but I will stick with my old school box that was also made when the foreman wasn’t looking (as was my first bike trailer)

My Dads ‘analogue’ calipers, I still find them handy to this day.

I often make things to do a job, mostly slapped together in a hurry from offcuts.
I made this flat bar bender in the late 80’s and its still works fine.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 07:40:04 am »
More secrets from the from the immaculate state of the art GMC facility. J

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »
  Made a handy little tool a while back for a mate who makes a few pipes and mufflers.

This 3 piece set is used for cutting out and forming muffler end caps

Sheetmetal is placed between the 2 larger pieces then under the press it then cuts out a disc.

The cutter is then turned over and used to press and form the welsh plug shape.

The whole thing is then turned over so the 3rd piece can be positioned inside and it then cuts the centre hole and presses a flange in one operation to complete the Muffler End Cap

He will usually make a dozen or so each of the most common sizes (I have made him 3 different sizes) then they  are just tapped into the muffler and secured with rivets

He lets me borrow them back from time to time if I have the need.  They work on both aluminium and sheet steel and make a tidy job.
                           Zane

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:26:20 pm by FAT-TOY »
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:06 pm »
Just found this in the family ‘vault’
Dad made his own lathe, I believe the base was made from old truck chassis rails. The bed was 2 pieces of waterpipe which I think were machined in a ‘real’ lathe and the carriage ran on brass bushes.
This was from long before my time but I do remember the remnants of it in the back shed, along with the TV he and my older brother made.
But like a 3 year old motocross bike it was so obsolete it was laughable and eventually ended up down the tip.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 01:50:44 pm »

Thanks Fat-Toy I've made this compression spring tool,some time ago copying your idea. It's come in handy & thought I would get this thread running for more great ideas. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 07:40:18 pm »
I knocked this puller up to get the burnt on inner bearing of the stub on the front axle of my Iveco
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 03:46:19 pm »

Made this out of bits in the shed. For when your working on a bike without the petrol tank & you want to run the engine before you put it all back together. Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Nipper

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 08:55:15 pm »
well done Jimson, love your work !