Author Topic: liner fitting , advise pls  (Read 2188 times)

lms6201

liner fitting , advise pls
« on: March 20, 2008, 06:55:08 AM »
 what is the process for fitting a new sleive ? is the barrell  heated or can the liner be pressed out / in cold , all recomendations pls

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: liner fitting , advise pls
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 05:20:20 PM »
The liners I've changed in the past were done with heat. To remove a liner I put it in the oven upside down with the barrel supported but not the liner. Raise the temperature till the liner drops. Last time I got to about 140 C

To refit them. Heat the barrell and put the liner in the freezer. I leave them for a couple of hours at least. I heat the barrel to a bit lower than what it took to get the liner out. The frozen liner makes up for the lower temp and still give a bit to play with. Have the barrel upright and drop (lower) the liner in. put some weight on the liner to hold it as the barrel cools

Temperatures will increase dramatically if you get caught doing this with out permission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »
Along with Brent's good advice(especially keeping the weight on, otherwise it will pop up when cooled), you will have to learn to see which liners actually press out as many oldtime barrels have cast in liners.Can you post a pic?
Jesus only loves two strokes

lms6201

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:49:48 PM »
no pic,s but it,s a late 490 , am thinking of the wiesco liner , cheap. also do they have to be bored ? or are they sized to std out of the factory , thanks muchly for the advise already ,

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:44:45 PM »
Steve

Yamaha and other Jap brands cast the aluminium bit around the steel/cast iron bit so the steel/cast iron bit has to be machined away. It's Bultacos and OSSAs that you can take the sleeve out with heat.
Fitting the new sleeve to the 490 is as described above.

David
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 10:08:38 PM »
I have done 70% of a 490 resleeve, unfortunately you will need access to a good size lathe, a pipe centre and a face plate.There is a fair bit of machining involved and a fair bit of work with the porting tool when the liner is fitted.Remember when time comes to fit the liner there won't be much time to work with as the liner starts to heat up rapidly.Then there is the rebore after all that to as the ID of the new liner is about 1mm under size  :'(
Suzuki's and Kawasaki's press out fine. :D

lms6201

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:11:11 PM »
thanks people  , seeing as my lathe is a baby , i,ll get it done , is serco still around ?

Oldrodder

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 09:20:37 PM »
If your in the Hunter Valley area we have a bloke at West Wallsend that does them for most of the bikes around here.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
Sending the barrel to Dave Hall would be a good idea as Dave does great work for very competitve prices.