Author Topic: Period correct bar pads from the seventies mainly.  (Read 11861 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Period correct bar pads from the seventies mainly.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »
Stuck he's foot in the front sprocket and lost a couple of toes.....road racing.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

TM BILL

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »
With respect he must have forking small feet , was he wearing carpet slippers  ???

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 02:31:53 PM »
His foot got jammed in the rear sprocket of the factory 500 Yamaha...

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
I think it was a 500 Suzuki. Beattie didn't ride for Yamaha...   but whatever the brand it must have hurt like blazes!!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »
Beattie spent a year on the Kenny Roberts Yamaha team after Honda and before Suzuki..

TM BILL

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »
His foot got jammed in the rear sprocket of the factory 500 Yamaha...

Makes more sense  :) still dont understand WTF they insist on front spocket covers though  ???

oldfart

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Bill, can you think back to Taupo meet last year when a young bloke took his finger off because he had no chain guard  ::)  story goes he reached down with his hand to put it into gear while the motor was running .....the rest is history.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:34:10 PM by oldfart »

TM BILL

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »
Fair call Stu  ;) but i think that young fella and his old man would tell yer that was a case of stupidity , brain fade , blonde moment whatever  ::)

Should we cover our spokes ala speedway rears or run muffler extentions into the sky so we cant stand there and breath in the carbon monoxide or entirly cover the ht lead and plug cap so we cant touch while motors running incase we get a belt . what about wrapping the entire exhaust in thermal wrap in case we touch it and burn ourselves , box stands should be outlawed due to potential back injuries lifting the bike on and off  ;D

Somthings should be left to personal choice and common sense  :) I think the fact that many older bikes had no sprocket covers fitted std is a reflection of a time when common sense was favoured over beuracracy  ::)

Where else in the world are Front sprocket covers enforced  ??? or is an Aussie only deal , like those wonderfull square numberboards of the 70s 80s  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:39:10 PM by TM bill »

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Seems to be an only Aussie deal. Maybe we should put bar pads over the front sprocket to get this thread back on track...  :D

TM BILL

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 06:51:46 PM »
Fair call  ;D got your Farleigh entry in Brad ?

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 06:53:29 PM »
No . I should but . Not that I don't want to go. I'd like to do the johnny old as well...

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
The more I think about this bar pad thing the more it pisses me off. Sure, I can understand the need for a sprocket cover but putting a pissy bit of foam on the crossbar seems futile as nearly everyone wears full face helmets these days, negating what little protective application the pad offers. As I said in a previous post, I've been riding dirt bikes on and off (lately off ;D) for 40 plus years and can't recall one instance where the handlebar cross brace did any damage to my body. I've never ever used cross brace padding and see them purely as a fashion accessory for the bike...a place to display a logo or inject a bit of bling.  ;). To me nothing looks sillier than a cross brace pad on a Cheney, Metisse or any other bike from an era when pads didn't exist. The book tells me that I need to use them so being the obedient servant to the sports rulemakers, I'll reluctantly mount mid 70's Gold Belt 'DeBruzer' pads as at least they 'kinda' fit into the 70's era vibe.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »
ask jikovwhat its like too hit the unpadded cross brace,think he was off for 12mths with a split sternum.it was funny trying to make him laugh ;D

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 08:05:22 PM »
Already have one on the sidecars cross brace *, what about the other three or four metres of grab rail and hand hold tubing ??? :D

# Not me ! Somebody unknown put it on there years ago at a Ravenswood meeting ???
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:07:49 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.