Author Topic: Yamaha HL500, Ideas and Variations of Building one.  (Read 72049 times)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha HL500, Ideas and Variations of Building one.
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »
Thanks curly, for the info on the shock lengths etc.

Offline Hotdog

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2012, 06:00:53 AM »

here is a photo of my variation, shown, at end of mock up stage and bottomend out checking for clearence.
still lotr to do!         enjoy

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »
Cool that could be one of those attractive short travel HL500s ;)

The TT500/XT/SR I think makes a great prospect for VMX bike as all the parts are still available
formerly Marc.com

Offline Ozadvntr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Yamaha HL500, Ideas and Variations of Building one.
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2018, 10:21:32 AM »
Pity all the Pictures have disappeared.  Marco, are you making the side covers now? Will they fit on a standard TT frame?

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2018, 10:55:55 AM »
I know these posts are from a long time ago.. but.. where is the gear change on that Yamaha engine.. ?? rear brake on the left..

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
Don't know if its much help, I started building this one a few years back but this is as far as I got before I moved to Tassie and the bikes still sitting in the shed on the mainland......IT465 wheels ( 17" rear ), engine mounts with help from Col J, swing arm is TS200X from about 2001, shortened about 2", almost perfect as far as wheel offset,etc.

Roger
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:07:41 AM by YUMASTEPSIDE »

Offline Ozadvntr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »
It looks very unique. It would be good to see it finished.

Offline shoom

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »
Hi there

I am in the process of gathering up parts to build my own but 'with a twist'

I am wondering if anyone here who has built their own has any frame dimensions, critical angles. wheel bases, head rake, cad files etc they would care to share with me?

I sort of want to go with a DR750 or 800 engine, although they aren't heard of all the time there is a plethora of tuning parts available for them and they can be made to turn a ton of grunt.

Yes, electric start only will add a little bit of weight, but I plan to minimizeit where i can in other parts of the bike by using a lithium ion battery, titanium fasteners, pegs, lightening parts of the frame that don't need to be so beefy etc.

I already have a PE 400 swingarm, hopefully a lead on a pair of 44mm shocks (although if anyone can get hold of a set of fox air rears and simons or fox forx fronts, I would snap them up in a heartbeat) the motor and a few other bits.

I will be saving money by building as much of the bike as I can (the frame of course) and by using second hand rebuilt parts. and whatever donations come my way from friends.

I think this bike is gonna be a ripper (literally!) It's gonna exceed the roostertail height limit on every track it goes to! lol

Have fun guys.