Author Topic: Goof's '83 RM500  (Read 37227 times)

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Goof's '83 RM500
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2013, 09:55:01 PM »
After searching long and hard for the motor Rosco and Les Barfoot finally tracked down the cylinder and head.
The head was on the RM that Lackey used at CD? These were re coed by Rosco and Steve Fox and kindly Donated by Rhian Glover.
With out the photos taken at Broadford by RM/Goof fan 30 years ago there was no way that I could have replicated the finer details you see.
A few weeks before his birthday a group of his mates including MX legend Mark Hill came around and we all helped re assemble it.
So you can see like any resto it is/was never going to be easy.
But as you can see it was all worth it.
So a big thanks to Gaz,Rosco, les,Mick Sharp Michael,Rhian,Robby and everyone who put in so much time and effort to get the project finished.
Hope you get a chance to check it out sometime 8)

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »
Heh Jase thank god you can work out how to post photos , something's I'm a complete Dumb Shit or get lazy and say to hard for another Day. To all of you you will be reading and seeing plenty of a Young Lions TFR Yellow Fire Breather . My negotiating and handshake deal with Jase  made this whole project be able to go ahead with like minded Goof Fans like Jase. There is so many sub stories which will come out over time. But remember this web Site is Built on a Passion and we had plenty for our Bro the Youngest Ever Winner of the Greatest MX series that we will ever experience MR MOTOCROSS thanks to Vince Tesoriero . Roll on Mar 8/2014 Mr Motocross Legends & Stars Charity Dinner where the Big Girl will be front and centre on Display . Stay Safe Rosco.
Yeah,I had to brush up on that one Rosco. If you check the '' tips for using the forum'' its up there. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it ;)

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »
How much weight do you think you could reduce by all that drilling?????
Yeah,would love to know that one.
I've got a standard 500 we could check it against.
My brother made all the missing drilled bolts said '' if he took a crap before the race,he would have been lighter" ;D

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2013, 10:04:06 PM »
You did a good job getting all the goodies Jason,hey how hard would it be to get some copies of the stickers mate ?
Anything for you mate ;)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2013, 10:37:46 PM »
Well done guy's, I have a special bike to do as well for Rosco's big bash....it's a lot easier job than you guy's had. It's awesome when things like this happen. Makes you wonder where all the top guy's bikes went because most of them had trick factory parts on them even if they weren't full factory bikes. We are in need of a Dunlop K139 if any one has one. 8). See you all at the big bash. I hope Holeshot buddy behaved himself at Goof's!!!!! ;D. You blokes need to bring that little jigger up to the Conondale Classic next year.....and some fast Vico riders if you have any ;D.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2013, 11:40:29 PM »
We are in need of a Dunlop K139 if any one has one.

Have a brand new 21" front in the shed that I bought for Finke in 2000 and never used it.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2013, 05:31:33 AM »
I know that after Goof raced the bike in 83' young Vic A Grader Steven Breese rode the bike for Flood in early 84' as i once took him and "RM Suzilla" home from somewhere (buggered if i can remember where we were). so who had the bike after it left floods hands and when Arno got it (what year Arno?)  and what happened to the engine?

any info on the above guys?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2013, 05:51:34 AM »
You did a good job getting all the goodies Jason,hey how hard would it be to get some copies of the stickers mate ?
Anything for you mate ;)
Legend Jas"  ;D

Offline Rosco

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2013, 06:53:57 AM »
Hoony Breese still lives down Mornington owns a company called Civil Mech
 Telephone(s):  03 97708046  ;

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »
Great story, would be a great feature for Blokes & Their Bikes MXTV.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »
PM sent BAHNZY, cheers.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

GT43

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2013, 01:16:08 PM »
The bike looks amazing.  8)
I cant believe the effort that has gone into getting it back to its original state. Beautiful job.

Must have been a great moment presenting it to Ray.
wow its like 1983 again. :)

Offline ARN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »

Great job Jason and all others involved.
Yes I was the one that initially destroyed it ,and have often been reminded of it, but I'm not sorry as I had great fun & good results racing it as a buggy ...I brought the bike around 1988 for $1000 from a 16 year old kid from Bayswater Ii brought the bike to put the motor in a buggy (pics attached) for racing against modified odysseys....I did ride the bike in a few paddocks before dismantling it...the bike flew...I remember roll starting it as kick starter was pretty ordinary, & as soon as it fired up it was straight on the back wheel, it was like having a switch instead of a throttle..it was just GO....after I finished buggy racing (about 20 odd years ago) I sold the motor to a guy for sprint car racing.

I had the frame sitting there for ages & planned getting a 4 stroke motor for it & a mate was selling a PE400 which I bought & put that motor into it..It was registered & I used it for trail riding...About 5 or 6 years ago I joined VCM & VIPER & used the frame with the PE motor to race and this is how Gary & Jason found the bike...unfortunately these are the only photos I have of the buggy & all you can see is the muffler...I have no pictures of the bike
Cheers,
Arno

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »
Don't know why you didn't just put the 500 motor back in the frame instead of selling it and stuffing around fitting something else?

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »
Arno was the Buggy Pics taken at Granite park Seymour ?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)