Author Topic: Very cheap RM  (Read 11750 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Very cheap RM
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:45:11 PM »
Looks alright for that price. Geez, I'm nearly tempted! An 83?

gerpster

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:35:41 AM »
I emailed the seller to see what year model but he was not very helpful and came back with late 80s.   :-\
Response also on the ad.
If it was pre 85 then I would also be very tempted!!   8)

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:48:04 AM »
If your Interested , I will pick up and store at my place .....no strings attached

gerpster

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:56:35 AM »
Looks like is missing airbox, 1 rad shroud...who knows what else....transport is the killer for me..hmmmm.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »
It is a pre 85 for sure, no question Greg.We have a good courier here that's up and down the east coast all the time his transport costs are very reasonable.Plus thanks to the generousity of all round nice bloke/legend "Dodgee" we have shit loads of RM 125 bits here so were are bound to have some surplus bits and pieces.Which I'm sure Dodgee would approve if we passed on for only postage costs ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 10:38:38 AM by Lozza »

gerpster

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:21:04 AM »
Ok I just bought it..     :o   The Mrs is going to freak out and I am too!!!.....I hope it is in a least saveable condition!!!!   

Would be good if it is an 83 model.    ???

I will need a LOT of help here guys so any offers are gratefully accepted!!!!   ;D

Oldfart - offer of pick up would be great if it is no hassle for you.

Transport - I do have a good transport contact but am not sure how busy or how much so any offers to get it down to ACT cheaply will be gratefully accepted....   

Will have to sell the TS!!     :(

Tony T

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »
Good on ya Greg.
The bike is definitely '83 or earlier.
Sorry I'm of no help with transport etc
Maybe someone coming down to CD5 can help?

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 12:11:03 PM »
Good score Greg; going by the attitude I think the Seller would hunt you down if you don't follow through...
I can collect and store in a shed if the other blokes are tied up.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

gerpster

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 07:46:56 PM »
Ahh yes...better pay up pronto huh or I might be mince meat!!!    ;D

Is either Wombat or Oldfart available to pick up this baby?? Please PM or post here...will be much appreciated.

I plan to chat with my courier mate tomorrow re cost from Brissy and if it is ok I expect he could pick it up in a week or two.

Lozza - got any leads on an airbox, muffler (I think), shrouds..and I hope that's all but I know there is going to be a lot more...   ;)

Without the support here I probably would not have dived in to this... but heh ya only live once and if it's an 83 D model then it's gotta be worth it....I think.    :-[

Hopefully in the future I'll be able to keep up with Graeme in the 125s!!!!   ;)

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 09:37:25 PM »
PM sent
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:50:15 PM by oldfart »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »
Yeah Greg, no worries.
I'm sure Oldfart's onto it with his original offer; I'll be 'plan B' if needed. ;)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

gerpster

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 01:43:22 PM »
Yep Oldfart is on the case..thanks wombat for backup..    ;)

gerpster

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 08:23:37 PM »
Bike is now in Oldfart's shed.....many thanks for your help!!!!!    ;D

I hope it aint a real dunger!!!    ::)

I have a few courier quotes to get it down to ACT but is there anyone in Brissy that has a spare spot coming south anytime in the near future? Drop off anywhere along the highway at any volunteer pick up point between Bris and Sydney would be a bonus for me.

Doc

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 09:41:23 PM »
Greg, in Brisbane it seems there's a plan C as well as I could also have collected it..remember, end of April is CD-5..I feel sure others will be coming down with maybe a spot for it. I'd offer but it appears we're pretty full already. (must get around to Kels and pick up Nathans DT too..oops ::)) Maybe just hold out a bit and see if anyone can help..if it's a runner as stated don't sweat, you'll get your money back if push comes to shove with Luvy ;) been a few of this model of late for sale at cheap prices..reportedly the all time best RM125  :) the plastic shrouds are still available new from Alpha and others for about $30ea + post and plastics weigh nothing  ;) maybe available here too, be worth checking.

went shopping for some new bits in the UK for a change today..picked up a Nos TM400 inlet manifold for $20au, 2x NOS TM250 inner rear guards 1 for $13 and the other $15, I got the NOS rubber flap for the bottom for $16 and a really nice but not new TM125 mag cover 100% undamaged with emblem in place for $50..all prices delivered to my door..why would I shop anywhere else!! ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:59:10 PM by Doc »

gerpster

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 05:49:50 AM »
Well the report card is in from Oldfart and it is a mixed bag at the moment. Might need some help getting bits for this one.....The preliminary survey reveals....(with my notes added)

Requires     air box  complete (anyone got one for sale???)
                rear brake stay arm (anyone got one for sale???)
                Rear Rhs axle support adjuster thru swing arm (anyone got one for sale???)
                frame to engine bolts all missing  (except rear  swingarm bolt) (where do I get these from???)
                front brake cable (ebay easy - i think)
                throttle cable      (only ) (ebay easy - i think)
                kick starter (anyone got one for sale??? - are they the same for a few models??)
                exhaust flange needs a bit of a tidy up   ( bolts loose ) (no probs)
                Exspansion chamber - front  a bit of heat and air  rest is OK(hmmmmmm)
                Dampening in rear shock    =  Nil (help   :-\   - might be a tough one!!!)
                Front forks  chrome is ok  ...a few spots up high at clamps (no probs)
                seat needs a new cover   (easy)
                plastics (I'm think they are gettable)

Bad news   require a selector gear selector shaft as welded on    Huh  (WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS!!!!???  >:(      - anything out there to help here???)

Good news  The motor turns over and has  good compression  Smiley   - Yippeee!!
                 Gear box selects all gears Smiley      - More Yippeeee

I'm still unsure of the year/model....I'm assuming 1983 125D at the moment?????    ???

The journey begins!!!!    ;)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 06:57:38 AM »
1) Might be able to help
2)Get some 20 X 4 ali flat bar and drill some holes
3)I'll look
4)Bolt shop
5)Get part number and try a dealer
6) Kart Shop get a Teflon lined  $10 for a Rotax Max(none better)
7)I'll look again may well be the same as previous/ future models again check part numbers on Alpha Sports
8)Talk to Walter at YSS about the shock
9) Plastics and seat covers/foam go to Les at Mainly Maico as he gets all the Vintage Suzuki stuff
For the selector shaft again get the part number it may still be available or be used on other models   

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 08:02:17 AM »
Heres some places to get you started...

http://www.vintage-suzuki.com/
You can check what year you have against their data base

http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
Prices are good and they are VERY reliable
Ban BLACK rims NOW

gerpster

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 06:08:18 PM »
AS requested
                     Frame   # JS1RF11A4D2104627           

Motor   #  F106 - 108666

gerpster

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Hey waddya know...it's a 1983 D model.......oh yeh baby!!!     ;D

So far looks like..

Side covers...81,82,83,84 all same
Kicker 81,82,83 same
Selector shaft 82,83 and maybe 84 same
Dunno on the airbox..suspect it would be unique

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 06:46:37 PM »
HI Greg,
Pretty close.

The '84 [and 85] is a different bike to the 81-83 so the side covers and airbox are very different.

Can't say about the selector shaft, that may well be common, probably through to 86 or 87. The engine was basically the same, they just changed from Reed Valves to crankcase reeds [and back again], but the layout of the engines were very similar. Doc has a copy of the Suzuki parts interchangability listing so he could help. Or as suggested log onto Bike Bandit and compare the part numbers for the various years..

The airboxes were the same on the 81-83 models. They are hard find in good condition. Good luck.

Don't forget Suzuki Parts in SA - they have a large range of parts and I have found them very helpful.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

gerpster

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »
Ok thanks for that! I was just going on the Alpha Sports numbers and the Vintage Suzuki stuff. Bike Bandit use their own part numbers so soemtimes I find it hard to tell.  :P

Yeh I imagine I will need to be patient for an airbox.... :(

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
See these Suzuki's practicaly restore themselves ;D ;D ;D

gerpster

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 10:46:38 PM »
Hey wow yeh...maybe some self assembly too??? Hmmm maybe not...   ::)

As noted above, looks like the 81-83 bikes had a lot in common. Looks like US ebay will have some stuff but if there is anything local please let me know.

Thanks for all the assistance..this is just great!!    :)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
hi greg i have got some bits for those little suckers 8)
have a rear torque arm
think i have airbox will look
probably rear bolt on swingarm
had kickstart but sold it all rms have same spline 125 250 465 500 nearly all years just differant top shape 8)
i fitted a 2002 rm 250 kickstart to my rm500 straight on alloy and trick :P
have other parts let me know what you need and i will have a look
dont worry it will be cheap ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 12:13:29 AM »
fu*#ed  up heres my number
work 0754467722
mobile 0421375176   rusty...........
follow me to first turn

Doc

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 09:09:50 AM »
have a look at some nice bling alloy kawa kickstarts as well if you spot any, kawa and zuki share common spine sizes on some..I've an alloy KDX250 kicker on the RM400..T-rick  ;D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 08:48:43 PM »
hey doc those kickstarters sound good, more specific details pleaze. ive been looking for a decent kickstarter for my 250 PE but dont know if its same as RM 400.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

gerpster

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 09:08:32 PM »
It looks like the RM125D air box was unique to that model and slightly larger than the 81 and 82 models....althought they will work as they are all physically the same external dimension...just that the 83 is larger internally...So any leads on an 83 airbox appreciated.     ;)

oldfart

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 10:30:13 PM »
Bike is on it's way down South

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 06:31:43 AM »
hey doc those kickstarters sound good, more specific details pleaze. ive been looking for a decent kickstarter for my 250 PE but dont know if its same as RM 400.
Hey Leith - the PE250/400 T/X shared the thick-spline kick-starter p/n with the RM250/400 N/T.
the thin-spline kicker on earlier ones was compatible with a bazillion old RM's, TS's etc.

gerpster

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 07:34:41 AM »
Gotta say many thanks to oldfart for retrieving the bike and loading it up with a disorganised courier!!!!

Many thanks for all your help!!    :)    :)    :)   :)     :)

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Ban BLACK rims NOW

gerpster

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 08:03:03 AM »
Yep thanks.....spotted it last night and sent the seller an email.

He replied this morning saying he is happy to fill a standard shipping box with 1983 parts for me for a total of $37 shipping!!!    ;)

Yeh I need that 83 airbox!!!!.....and few other bits....he has more to list..    ;)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2008, 09:35:44 AM »
Sorry greg no airbox in the 'dodgee'  ;D stuff sent down from QLD.If your stuck tis very easy to make one from fibreglass using lost foam method.

gerpster

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »
No worries Lozza...gotta get that one on ebay...just hope it does not go for silly money!!   :-\

gerpster

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 05:46:53 PM »
Ok cool..I got the 83 airbox ($21 USD)     ;D     and also the radiator shrouds ($1 USD but they need work)..missed out on someother bits. The Brissy RM125D arrives tomorrow.     ;)

gerpster

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2008, 07:11:02 PM »
RM125 arrived this arvo. Most of it came apart in under an hour as it was mostly held together with wire, self tapping screws and zip ties!!!!!    ::)
The front end can't be from a 125...has 45mmm forks (i think.... they are huge!!!) and must be off a Rm400 or something!!!! They are much bigger than my Pe250 forks!!!! Any guesses?????..photo below...
Frame and engine look OK but hoepefully the other RM125 form Melbourne will give me a bit more to work with!!!     ;)

gerpster

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2008, 07:14:21 PM »
And some of the bits that came off...I will need a rear guard (for a start) if anyone has one for sale?????   :(

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2008, 07:22:10 PM »
I left a reply on the original photo-they are RM250D,43mm,twin leading shoe forks.1983 was the only year they came yellow from the factory and the 125  was single leading shoe.They should work well,as long as they are mounted properly,in respect to the steering stem etc.They will be heavier in their springs etc,but you can overcome this with lighter springs etc-if you are over about 85kg's don't bother,just try them as is;don't forget you will need to stiffen the back up to get it better balanced front to back!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »
If you want to sell/swap those cases let me know as we have a full reed barrel here we want to use.Could convert the power reed but to much drama.

gerpster

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2008, 07:52:26 PM »
OK thnx guys...wow RM250 forks...they are enormous...what was Mr Suzuki thinking??? Might keep them on there or might swap back to the originals...will have to see what the next 125 has in store when it arrives.. :-X

I sold 1 bike and loaded it up at the same time that this RM arrived so the wife was none the wiser...   ;D

I now have an XL250R and the other RM125 arriving probably at the end of the week...have to do some more shed shuffling.    ;)