Author Topic: Keeping the show on the road  (Read 79765 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Keeping the show on the road
« on: August 07, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »
Hi everyone. You may recall that in the past I've relied on donations to help cover costs running OzVMX. Unfortunately recently I had a protracted dispute with Paypal over the use of Paypal to receive donations. They were pretty useless, and the end result is that I can no longer do that. I don't think that's right, because I see plenty of other websites doing it, but what can you do? So, without the Donate button, income has disappeared. I've never made a profit from that, but most years I've broken even or if not haven't missed by much.

Anyway, renewal time is here for the Ning part of OzVMX. I know many of you don't use that site so you won't be much interested, but for those that do get some value from it, any help you can offer would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for big dollars, anything you can offer is welcome. And of course, don't feel that you *have* to contribute.  OzVMX has always been free with donations welcome but not mandatory, and that is still the same.

If you'd like to contribute, I can only offer the options of sending a cheque my way, or direct deposit to my bank account.

Cheques can be made out and sent to:

Graeme McElligott
PO Box 1622
Tuggeranong ACT 2901

Direct deposit payments can be made to

Title: Graeme McElligott
BSB: 732-636
AC No: 555769

I won't be able to personally thank donaters, but believe me your contributions will be highly valued and appreciated.

Thanks.

Graeme M

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:27:00 PM by Graeme M »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping the show on the road
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »
Given that I know the costs etc , I put in $20.00 ,
I will ask why you don't add some links and add space ? If you need HTML help to make that happen I will do for free.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »
Well you know, that's an interesting thing. I have Google adlinks on the Ning site and that generates on average maybe 50c to $1 a day, whixh of course is better than nothing but hardly impressive.

When I started OzVMX, it was intended to make money. I put a lot of effort into tailoring an advertising package at what I thought were reasonable rates. I explained the benefits of advertising with a site that had by far the broadest reach of any 'vintage' site in Australia, and sat back and waited for the dollars to roll in.

I soon learned two things - you have to do that stuff as a serious fulltime thing as potential advertisers need to be wooed and convinced and led by the hand, and small businesses are very careful with their money.

I also tried charging for for sale ads, and found that people don't like to pay for ads unless they have a very good chance of getting a sale.

So, I decided that unless I found a lot more time and opportunity, OzVMX would be free and dep[end only on donations or my own pocket.

It's worked OK so far, especially as I have received some great support from various individuals and businesses. So I am certainly not complaining. But I was pretty peed off by Paypal...

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
Pay Pal is owned by the church these days and they have some odd ideas. Correct me if I'm wrong but the hosting for this site could be no more than $200 per year?
If it's not I can get one that will be.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:54:56 PM »
Pay Pal is owned by the church these days and they have some odd ideas. Correct me if I'm wrong but the hosting for this site could be no more than $200 per year?
If it's not I can get one that will be.

I  thought that PAYPAL is a sub of Ebay ,was bought out by Ebay years ago .

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »
Well explained Graeme and we all owe you a great personal debt.
Having somewhere to talk old bikes, free of persecution and retribution. :P has become a relief valve.
If you can help out, please do.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:04:26 PM »
There are many cheap hosting packages these days. However my host for the forum charges $275 for the package I have, plus the Ning site costs $600. The Retrodirtbikes site is another $60 or so. So it totals out at around the $950 PA. I also do the VCM and BMCC sites, and while the clubs pay for the hosting I don't charge for my time.

I get around $2-300 PA from the Google Adwords, and usually around $5-800 PA from donations. So most years nowadays I come out even or slightly ahead, although in the early days, especially before Adwords, it used to cost me about $400 or so a year.

I could probably save money by getting rid of the Ning site, and/or transferring the forum to a cheaper package, but on the whole I am happy with how it all hangs together as it is.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:11:10 PM »
Graeme
I used to work closely with the owners of this hosting company If you find a deal here your happy with I will try and get you a better one with them if you wish?

http://www.techiemedia.com/

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the offer. The Ning site has to remain with Ning as they supply the whole thing - server space and site framework. It's a good system, tho a little expensive.

I wouldn't mind migrating the forum, but I am currently paid up to 2012 so will probably stay with the current mob for now. The main benefit would be more space. The retrodirtbike site is with Lunarpages that give you pretty much unlimited space, whereas the OzVMX package is 1 Gb only, which is why I don't allow image uploads.

Might give it some thought next year...

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
Good on you, Graeme. Apart from all the six-gun toting drama experts on here, there are many interested and potential vmx racers who slip through the site for a look every couple of days or so, to learn or to look. I don't think many longer-term participants would begrudge kicking in a few bucks to help you keep interested in continuing to give us all access to one of the most informative and wide-range forums on the net, and in vmx land one of the most useful. Although not a major contributor, I have had many happy hours trawling the site and have had plenty of useful info gleaned and shared.
Thanks again for your continuing efforts, mate, well done.

Regards GD  ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:54:27 PM »
PAYPAL AND VISA ARE ONE
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 09:09:38 PM »
Graeme, You do a great job mate, this forum gives me much pleasure, It saves time, money and educates a lot of people including myself.

Its only a small token, I will make a donation of $38.00 by transfer tonight.

Guys and girls dig deep, A mate of mine has been going to church a bit lately for his sons holy communion. (whatever that means) He tells me that they pass the can around twice per mass, there a four people in his family each putting a dollar or two each pass, this is about $12 per mass... For some people like me this is church, so i hope the $38.00 buys me a spot in VMX heaven one day- in a very long time!!!
Brett

I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »
Thanks Graeme. Hope our contributions help keep this important community of interest going  :) :)
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

Graeme got the pay in details but what brand of bank is it
  the reason i ask is it cost me a charge to go from my bank
  to another bank. so if i can pay strait into your bank good
  O..
  I send money through Pay-Pal to people as a gift that way
  there is no charge , have they changed it...

The Stig..

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 10:18:56 PM »
Thanks to all those who have donated. I appreciate the help.

Now, the bank account is with Westpac. As far as Paypal goes, I don't know. They won't allow me to use the Donate button, but perhaps there is no problem with people simply sending money to my Paypal account? Feel free to give it a go.  You can reach me there at gmc99 at bigpond.com.

And remember, it is just up to you if you donate. I appreciate the help from those who can spare a little to help out, but I in no way expect it of anyone and the site will continue all the same regardless. I also don't aim to actually make a profit. I just need to cover costs. Right now, I have to come up with $600 by 19 August. So far, donations have raised about $400, so it's looking good!  Thanks.