Author Topic: Young blokes riding the Classics  (Read 11086 times)

jawa76

Re: Young blokes riding the Classics
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2011, 08:54:31 AM »
Guys did you not have a great time at the Nats ? I know I did.
If you really do not want to race a younger rider then buy a pre 75 bike or a slider.
You may want to consider that the slider class has a 30 yr restriction placed on it and look at the number of entries.
Do you want to see that happen to the other classes.
In short I think the current format caters for all, please leave it alone.

Offline FireKwaka

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
I’m 44yrs and started racing Classics in the late 90’s because I enjoy working on bikes as much as racing them and after I started a family I wanted to compete against guys of similar age with similar responsibilities.

I must have been wearing a blouse at the 09 Nats in Raymund Terrace because I was intimidated by the speed, skill and aggression of the young guys that were competing at that event because I sold my pre 74 bike and gave the sport away to compete in Triathalons.

With a new found fitness the lure of the Nudgee Nats was too much so I bought a second pre85 bike and entered after not twisting a throttle in over 18months. I must admit I got a little scared at the speed and aggression of the young guys again (I think I was the only one over 30 in the pre85 up to 250 class) but I snapped out of it and even beat them all in a couple of racers. I have to compliment Grant Dodd on his smooth and sensible racing.

Back in the 90’s at modern major dirt track events there were support classes for classic bikes, usually just one or two divisions of all year model bikes combined. Just a suggestion for 16 to 29 yrs at Classic events how about 2 classes, pre78 and older and Evo to pre 90 as 2 separate support classes all capacities combined, this way they could get two rides on 2 bikes like most of us.

If we really want to introduce the younger set to Classic bikes to keep the sport going how about letting under 16yrs have some track time on old bikes under 250cc at Classic Dirt style events? I missed the last 2 CD events because my 10yr old could not ride his Yamy GT80 that he done a top end rebuild on himself.

Now I have told my little story what do I think of ‘Young blokes riding Classics’? I appreciate the competition and the grid being full so I will just have to try harder, find the time and money to ride more often if I want my moment of glory.
83 KX500, 83 RM250D, Can Am MX2.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »
 My feeling on this is that it's all in the way that you look at a title event
 If the event is national classics or state classic it refers to the age of the machinery.
   Bearing this in mind we enthusiasts are there to watch various MOTORCYCLES from a specific time period perform at their best.
 The age of the rider is secondary.
  Because I am over 70 I am quite pleased that a super senior classic is  now included as a 'feature' at these events.
  I can fully understand the dilema as may be seen by some and hear the thoughts on here  about repercussions to the classic nature of the sport but I personally enjoy it whatever.
 The only other way for others who think the younger riders on classic machines is not fair to senior riders is for a different approach along the lines of a CLASSIC MASTERS TYPE OF EVENT. cheers pancho.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:57:59 PM by pancho »
dont follow me i'm probably off line!