Author Topic: Remember when this is how it used to be…?  (Read 20138 times)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Remember when this is how it used to be…?
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:44:59 PM »
Remember when OzVMX was just a young pup and we were all happy to be here? Lot's of good humour, great info, VMX camaraderie and a great place to meet, exchange ideas and slag off Bultaco riders…  :D.

It's sad to say, but Brad and Daves little CZ stouch really is an indicator of the decline in this forum [sort it out in private guys - and then move on] and the way we treat each other.

Have we really become that old and jaded that we would prefer a site full of agro and bad blood to the old OzVMX vibe? Maybe Shoey, Firko and Doc et al, have the right idea afterall. Especially when I compare it to the way the guys on GarageJournal get on.

Take a look at this thread, 196 pages of shared info and enthusiasm, all without a single harsh word…
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51567

VMX42  :(
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Remember when this is how it used to be…?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
Hear Hear - lets all be 1/2 glass full :P
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
It's sad to say, but Brad and Daves little CZ stouch really is an indicator of the decline in this forum [sort it out in private guys - and then move on] and the way we treat each other.
It's a bummer that I am part of the decline of the forum.  :( Its also a shame that a guy can continue to walk amongst us thinking he can get away with doing the wrong thing to any of us. If I told people in private as it has been done for all this time , then indeed he will keep doing it to others not in the know. I truly feel I was doing the 'community' a service but it seems in your opinion I haven't. I bet if you were on the receiving end of a bad deal you may have a different view.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51567

:o  :o  :o  Thomas/BB767 certainly has a story to tell-what a fantastic shed old and new  :P  :P  ...only a few more pages than our Sprite/American Eagle thread  ;)   ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

TM BILL

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 05:12:51 PM »
Guilty as charged , Jeff your right but i wonder if the forum is a reflection of life in general  ??? since the economic down turn i have noticed a change in peoples attitudes and its a reality that people are doing it hard ATM.

Also i believe there is an element of VMX snobbery that wasn't there in the early days , (if its a converted traily or a budget racer there are those who cant wait to pour scourn upon it ) at the other end of the spectrum we now get a constant bombardment of repetitive threads and photos of blinged up big dollar builds and restos of the same bikes .

Personally i enjoy all builds regardless of cost , its peoples passion and inginuity that i enjoy. We have lost a lot of good forum members and gained new ones .

Probably somthings are best sorted in private and we would all do well to be more tollerant of each other. We are all guest on here and should try to conduct ourselves as if we were in someone elses home  :)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:17:47 PM »
It's a bummer that I am part of the decline of the forum.  :( Its also a shame that a guy can continue to walk amongst us thinking he can get away with doing the wrong thing to any of us. If I told people in private as it has been done for all this time , then indeed he will keep doing it to others not in the know. I truly feel I was doing the 'community' a service but it seems in your opinion I haven't. I bet if you were on the receiving end of a bad deal you may have a different view.

Brad, I was just using your current thread as an example. I never said what I thought of it, nor did I question your motives or integrity or even suggest that you were part of the decline of the forum. If that is how you read it then I apologise.

My post was borne from the frustration of watching the slow deterioration of this forum. I was offering my opinion and nothing else.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 05:21:07 PM »
All to true, it's why Iv'e stayed away, to many posts that don't need to be posted' the old saying if you havn't got anything constructive or nice to say don't say anything, But if you have got a beef with someone go behind the sheltershed and sort it out it should't be done on the forum Cheers Lou

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 05:25:37 PM »
Guilty as charged , Jeff your right but i wonder if the forum is a reflection of life in general  ??? since the economic down turn i have noticed a change in peoples attitudes and its a reality that people are doing it hard ATM.

Hey Bill,
I guess that my feelings are that when times are more difficult, sites like OzVMX should be more valuable than ever. Getting together with your mates is free and should add to our enjoyment of life, not add to our problems.

I look to this site for fun, wonderful information and as a great way to breakup my day. It used to be the first site I would check in the morning and the last before shutting down at night. Times have changed, or maybe it is just me?
VMX42

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »
I guess that my feelings are that when times are more difficult, sites like OzVMX should be more valuable than ever. Getting together with your mates is free and should add to our enjoyment of life, not add to our problems.

I don't know I think it shouldn't be taken too seriously, all public forums have a bit of back and forth between the various rival factions. I like this forum ..... there are about 2 degrees of seperation at the best of times so everyone generally has some mutual friend so nobody acts up that badly.

Not sure about VMX snobbery Bill, just back in the days we were broke and lusting for the trick bikes and now we can sort of afford it regardless of the fact that the global economy is heading down a mineshaft.
formerly Marc.com

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »

Hey Bill,

I look to this site for fun, wonderful information and as a great way to breakup my day. It used to be the first site I would check in the morning and the last before shutting down at night. Times have changed, or maybe it is just me?
VMX42

I have to fully agree with what you have just said Jeff. There was a time when you couldnt get me off this forum, and even though it is still a great place to visit and Graeme M is the best mod/Admin around I have struggled to find anything creative and positive to post about. Even the hallowed CD8 thread has been very quietly pushed to one side and I remember the threads of old and all the great pages and writtings of some wonderful storytelling blokes and their bikes. It is our job to re-create that and get this great forum back on the right track or what we will have left is just a bitter bunch of old twisted men shitting on other old twisted and bitter old men. Bikes are what we enjoy after all isnt it? So why is everyone getting off on slagging and poking the finger at other fellow VMXers and their bikes. Is it just easier to sling shite than to be contructive and informative?
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 06:23:11 PM »
just a bitter bunch of old twisted men shitting on other old twisted and bitter old men.

Hell I noticed nobody at CD8 looked like they were smiling....
formerly Marc.com

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
If I had been at CD8 Marc I know I would have been smiling because the worse day VMXing is still better than the best day at work. My jacket pockets, pants pockets would have been full of cans of beer and I would have been partying next to a bunch of great blokes I have met there every year. Smiles..... I would have had one and it would have started the moment I got there and would still be on my face now because I would be remembering the fun times I would have had.... but thats just me... LONG LIVE THE BAND and THE BIKES OF CLASSIC DIRT 
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »
If I had been at CD8 Marc I know I would have been smiling because the worse day VMXing is still better than the best day at work.

Im hearing you brother I have been trying to get fired for months   ::)

formerly Marc.com

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »
just a bitter bunch of old twisted men shitting on other old twisted and bitter old men.

Hell I noticed nobody at CD8 looked like they were smiling....

Gee marcFX,
I don't know where you were standing at CD8 but everywhere I looked you couldn't get the smiles of their faces, even after the rain started. It was a great event and all I spoke to had a fantastic time.
I think you may be reading something into it that wasn't there. Shame about the rain but it's all part of it. I loved every minute we were there ;D

Stan.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:03:01 AM by Stan S »

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »
If I had been at CD8 Marc I know I would have been smiling because the worse day VMXing is still better than the best day at work. My jacket pockets, pants pockets would have been full of cans of beer and I would have been partying next to a bunch of great blokes I have met there every year. Smiles..... I would have had one and it would have started the moment I got there and would still be on my face now because I would be remembering the fun times I would have had.... but thats just me... LONG LIVE THE BAND and THE BIKES OF CLASSIC DIRT 

The blokes that you meet there every year missed "fully loaded man" this year  ;D ;D ;D  We had to carry our own beer  :o :o
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.