Author Topic: 74 250MC frame pics needed  (Read 6415 times)

Rosco400

74 250MC frame pics needed
« on: February 17, 2008, 09:23:25 AM »
Has anyone got a 74 frame stripped they could shoot me a couple of pictures, was there much difference between the 72 and 74 frames, shock mounts in particular

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 74 250MC frame pics needed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 11:51:28 AM by Husky500evo »

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
I hope that the image came through ok as it is my first attempt at downloading photos using the villagephotos site ( thanks for the tips from Brad 090). I have not been able to make images small enough before.
As far as I am aware , on the '73 frame, the frame tube that runs from behind the footpeg up to the top shock mount is straight . I also think that the shock mount on the swingarm might be further forward on the '74. I have some more pictures if you want them.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 03:17:28 PM »
looks to be a late 74.5 GP frame-move up frame and shock mounts, also note three holes in bracket by upper shock mount.

Are these frames growing in gardens in Oz? Here in US they are few and at least $600 US ? I see a few pics of them posted here, just wondering.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Rosco400

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 09:05:44 PM »
Thanks for the picture husky, same frame but the gussets have been cut off and need to make some new ones, i assume then that all 74 had the three holes. This was the bike that was previously listed by other forum member as full resto so just wanted to make sure it is done correct ;)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 09:08:54 PM »

I have tried taking a cutting & planting it in the garden , but it doesn't seem to want to grow like Brad 090's A5 Kawasaki . This model Maico doesn't seem to be that common in OZ from what I have seen ,but they don't attract the same sort of money that they sell for on US ebay . Maybe it is because pre '75 class racing is not as popular in Australia as it is in the States . '81 490's are a different story though, fetching good prices here. I don't really understand the hype with the '74.5 GP Maicos , as I think that '73 model is just as competitive ( maybe more so ) with the way the rules are for this class . Because the '74.5 Maicos came out standard with about 6 inches rear wheel travel , you have to hobble them by putting spacers under the bump stop rubbers on the shocks to limit the travel back to 4 inches to satisfy the rulebook . Maybe I am just a rebel , but trying to change history to create a level playing field doesn't cut it with me . It should be either a pre '75 class or be called a 7 & 4 inch class . The poor old '74 Maico 250 only has a 4 speed gearbox , which puts it at a big disadvantage (once the extra rear wheel travel is negated )to just about everything else in the class that has at least a five speed . They didn't put a rule in place to say that all machines in this class are only allowed to use 4 gears to make it fairer on the Maico.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:49 AM »
It should be either a pre '75 class or be called a 7 & 4 inch class .

This begs the age old question ( again ) do we pay homage to the era or a particular year?
Pre 75 is a nice catchy name, but it's more of a guideline than any hard & fast rule.

From the GMC spy files...
I have seen a few Maico frames & this one was one of the few which I considered genuine. I haven't seen the model with the holes before but am now led to believe they built a few different types of shock mounts.
Many have what look like home made mounts, just bits of flat bar etc. & the other give away is the way the tube is bent. When heated & bent on the frame the bend tends to squash flat a bit, Maico would have bent these tubes in proper formers before assembly as they did with the rest of the frame.
I have done repair work on a few frames that guys have said they bought because they were genuine 74.5 frames but they looked suss to me.

You will see more of them over here James because many people convert them, I believe the US has a different class for them so it's no advantage to convert them.

And if you want to fix or convert one I have these available in 4130 Cro-Mo,
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
Geoff, I saw that kit on you catalogue listing-wondered exactly what it was-now I know. Looks tempting as many frames from narrow 71 through std 74 are available here from time to time.
There are likely still more actual GP and converted frames here in US, but they seem to be the holy grail or something. The GP and conversions still run Sportsman in AHRMA( which is like pre-75), but must be limited to 4" or wheel travel here as well.
  As far as that rule, it has been here forever. I see where you can be at a disadvantage on a 73-74 250 Maico being a 4spd and all. That said, the 250 Maicos-until the 81s were not the rocketships of the 250 class anyway.
Still, the only other era bikes which come close in handling are the Monty VR,Ossa Phantom, Bultaco, and KTM-though the KTM is very heavy-a GP Maico still outhandles them IMO. Well, the KTM actually handles as well with laydown shocks (agian limited to 4"), and has great power, but the shifing is notchy, and you feel the weight. Again just my take on it.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

firko

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 08:11:33 AM »
In my time I've seen two, possibly three '74 Maico frame designs. Ulrich, my German correspondent worked for the factory and tells me that when the factory decided to go with the LTR  rear suspension in late '73 they had a stockpile of old frames that would have immediately become obsolete. They decided to modify all of the existing stockpile to the new design. The existing stock of airboxes were also cut down.
Many of the conversions are a little rougher than others, depending on the Maico worker who did it, causing many a dispute today as to whether a particular frame is legit or not. Sometimes you can't tell a factory modified frame from one done by the owner. The frame Husky Evo posted above is the first of the purpose built LTRs that came out in mid 74 along with a different, purpose built airbox and other changes. This is what the Americans christened the '74 1/2 model and we called the Update model.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 09:12:17 AM »

This is a picture of my 400. The frame number starts with 393 , which going by the various  Maico I.D number guides makes it a '73 model . However, it looks like a '74 frame to me & if it is a converted '73 frame then it is the best job that I have ever seen. The shock mounts, bends in the frame tubes & welding look factory . What Firko has written above , maybe gives an explanation that it was a leftover '73 frame converted at the Maico factory.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:42:00 AM by Husky500evo »

firko

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »
Nice Maico HuskyEvo but what's that Mikuni thingy doing on there? Don't you know that Bing is King as far as Maicos are concerned ;D ?

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:50:40 AM »
I am a fan of Bings on Maicos ( even though they can be a bit messy when you prime them for starting ), & they apparently make more power than with the Mikuni .  I bought this bike as a basket case with no carby & it was just easier to buy a new Mikuni .

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 11:00:12 AM »

This bike is fitted with a G.M.C pipe ,which I consider to be a work of art. The pipe performs & sounds as good as it looks.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 11:14:02 AM »
question  ;)should it have a steel rear hub or alloy .and im sure i was bidding on those  shockers awwhile back;D

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 11:18:27 AM »
Now THAT is beautiful!!
What a weapon!! Love it!!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 12:01:44 PM »
The alloy rear hub came off the '74.5 250 . It is the narrow style to suit the 4 speed motor & Maico only made a short run of them in late '74 apparently . They are hard to find , but come up on US ebay occasionally & fetch reasonably big dollars. The rear wheel that came with the 400 when it was basket case had a steel hub. The shocks are Ohlins classics & they are outstanding. They would be the first thing that I put on any pre '75 race bike . If you are only going to have 4 inches of travel , they may as well be 4 quality inches. I did recently win a set of these shocks on US ebay for a friend to put on his '74 250 elsinore & he is very happy with them.
     Thank you for the kind words Wombat . I am very pleased with the way this bike looks.

firko

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 03:21:27 PM »
A situation that was overlooked when the factory first modified the '73 frames to LTR was to strengthen the steering head area. The increased rear travel put a previously unexpected load on the steering head causing some frames to break in half. Any cracks were often missed due to the tank hiding the stress area. I personally witnessed three or four situations where this happened including Bob Church's monumental crash right in front of me on the Amaroo Park main straight jump and A grader Graeme Aldridge in the '74 Mr Motocross also at Amaroo Park. 'Churchys' accident was especially horrific as he was tapped in top gear when it happened. It was serious enough to warrant three or four paragraphs in GEs column in Revs.

The fault must have shown up in other places too as it wasn't long before the factory was gussetting the steering head area. By the time the 74 1/2 frame came out the frame had been suitably strengthened. Unfortunately many backyard modifiers forgot, or didn't think it worthwhile to modify their bikes in this area and I've seen some nasty cracked frames over the years. One old frame I have is especially neatly modified at both ends. The photos below show the neat platework and good t.i.g. welding. It's very similar to the Wheelsmith kit plates that were available at the time. It may even be a genuine Wheelsmith. Compare the plated head on that '72 frame compared to the stock '72 version in the foreground and Husky 500 Evos 74 1/2 frame. Disregard the birdshit repairs that had obviously been done by a later owner however!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 06:00:46 PM by firko »