Author Topic: Running in - opinions pls.  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Running in - opinions pls.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
Running an engine on the bench for any length of time proves SFA, that's not under any sort of load. Any break-in proceedure must allow for the expansion of the piston and it is far better to do it in stages.I use 5min tootle around,5min up to 1/2 or 2/3 throttle then go for the doctor.No constant throttle.Wait untill your hand can touch the head in between runs.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
usually use 1/2 hour runnign around a track which of course uses different throttle amoutns but nothing flat out.  Check all teh bolts in between pit stops?????  Keep going until gut feel is happy and then start to open up and haven' had any problems.  Have also ehard of the fullt ank of fuel method etc.

;D

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Rosco400

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 09:09:37 PM »
This got me thinking how I run the AW400 in last year after full engine rebuild at coffs classic dirt, 5 minute idle on warm up, two practise laps half throttle, oil change and rung its neck, hasnt missed a beat yet ;D

Offline Stewart Allen

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 09:31:04 PM »
Whilst my experience has been with automotive engines the principle is the same, get the rings to bite/bed into the bore (not glaze) without submitting bearings to full load, whilst minute bits & pieces are coming of/going through the bearings (in the oil). So once your happy its running OK statically runs with 3/4 - full throttle under moderate but short changing before it gets near 3/4 rpm's. Depending on depth of hone patten ring material & design you should have to rings bedded in in 15-30 mins, drop the oil & let her go.

This does not allow for jetting issues.
CHEERS STEWART

Doing it to old things is fun
# 74 Heaven
IT490 Will be going one day soon
CR125M
SL175 bitza
IT250D needs work
CR250RE Not going as yet
YZ125F

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 10:26:27 PM »
heres one for you set motor up dry kick kickstarter over about thirty times  ??? run in ;D

or start up get to operating temp cool right down
start up again ride for ten minutes dont thrash or labour
switch off cool right down  8)
then go for it ;D
follow me to first turn

Maico31

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 10:29:29 PM »
Just ride the thing... we don't have enough years left to go through all that other bullshit.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 10:55:36 PM »
Yep just read Maicos above ;) Tim :)
 AND ever noticed how you "run in " a top fuel dragster........  Strip, rebuild and race it between runs .no time for half throttle wankies then cuddle loving the head and barrel till it cools down so you can change its pooey arse! Just let those 8000hp * rip.
* Cream of Top Fuelers getting 1000+hp per pot on "prehistoric" V8s.  :o
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 04:14:33 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.