Author Topic: Rear suspension MC 490 TWIN SHOCK  (Read 1783 times)

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Rear suspension MC 490 TWIN SHOCK
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:35:13 AM »
Hi Gents
I need some advice. I took a 1982 Maico MC 490 single shock and used it as a donor bike. I then purchased a Wulfsport new chrome moly frame and a Thor Ali swing arm. The bike was assembled, photos of which were featured on the web site.
To my horror after building I noticed that the left rear shock lines up perfectly, however the right shock as a consequence of the chain and wider side of the swing arm lies at an angle. When we measured the distance between the two inner most rear shocks (on the swing arm mounts) mounting bars and then the top of the mount brakets next to the airbox there was a 15mm difference  between the top and the bottom. The nett effect is that the rear right shock does not line up straight with the top mounting bracket and is angled inwards.
Is this normal ? Wulfsport have confirmed that this is the case with all there aftermarket frames. The rear and front sprockets align perfectly.
Any suggestions ?
On an original frame did the rear right shock angle inwards towards the left rear shock ?  confirming the angle is a consequence of the 15 mm narrower top.
Please advisea ccordingly >:(
Old and slow - and happy

Maico31

Re: Rear suspension MC 490 TWIN SHOCK
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 07:51:36 AM »
I don't think that will be a problem as long as you have heim joints in the shock eyes. Have a look at some of the twin shock Husky's, they are the same from the factory.

YSS

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 09:06:30 AM »
Crabman , thanks for pointing it out, we already adressed that problem , as it common with all Maicos.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:01:18 PM »
i noticed that on my TS 250 aswell and it got me very worried. i went too work and did heaps of measurments etc and checked alignments etc and found that the left shock did angle in slightly. i found out the reason why but can remember excatly but its something to do with the seat and seat lock and how that has to be in a set position and the rear mount has to be out a little wider for chain clearance. it was just not easy and economical for the factory to move the top mount out wider as this would mean the left top seat support rail would of had to have been out wider and this would of meant the seat latch/lock would of had to of been out wider and the end result would of had to of had a very wide seat.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:02:57 PM by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022