Author Topic: Suzuki 250 road racer help  (Read 27909 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki 250 road racer help
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2011, 08:38:36 PM »
Maybe I'm a freak but theres something sexy about a huge 4 shoe twin leader front drum on a mudcatcher.....one day....
If theres such a thing as sex on a wheel....thats it!! 8) ;D

I couldn't agree more Davey Crocket, I have never seen such sex on a motorcycle either.

Glenn has made this possible for me.

light weight
                              and works great

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:51:12 PM by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »
Yes, I thought you would enjoy it. I wouldn't like to be buying the whole bike, piece at at time :-[

Oh that magnesium 4LS is easiest the most expensive single part off early TZ. 4LS requires pretty careful set up to get the best out of it. I like the twin single cam set up on the Morini, much easier to get equal forces on both sides of the brake.
formerly Marc.com

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2011, 04:53:05 PM »
Looking at the pics, that is a pretty rare, and seemingly genuine brake for sale. But the early TZ/TR brake not only was alloy (not mag), but is being beautifully replicated by an Aussie living in the Phillipines for around $1500 US. Just go on ebay, his dealer name is bikepeder1, and he's sold aound 20 or so with good results. Interesting...
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2011, 09:52:01 PM »
hey Mick De,light weight,& works great,your'e only 1/2 right,that brake weighs a ton,(hint,why do you think it's depicted on a tractor  ;D),hope your'e not entertaining thoughts of fitting to maico 125  :o,Bikepender also does a neat comical hub/norton hybrid rear wheel,backing plates trick,i bought a set of those red shocks for $100 off him too, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
hey Mick De,light weight,& works great,your'e only 1/2 right,that brake weighs a ton,(hint,why do you think it's depicted on a tractor  ;D),hope your'e not entertaining thoughts of fitting to maico 125  :o,Bikepender also does a neat comical hub/norton hybrid rear wheel,backing plates trick,i bought a set of those red shocks for $100 off him too, :P

Yep ;D that's where shes going Mick. It only weighs 5KG with axle according to this.
http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/brakes/grimeca-180-2ls/prod_217.html

Anyhoo, I know your only feeling sorry for me. I suppose you are prepared to relieve me of my problem by swapping me a bucket of resin or chopped mat for it :D thanks mate.

Imagine how sexy it will look when it is colour matched and teamed up to these little Beauties.

I reckon the girls will go wild, hey.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:39:25 AM by MICK-DE »

DR

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2011, 10:56:58 PM »
Sorry to get a little away form those delicious quad leaders but there is some information on Ocelot Engineering at the link below for those still interested.

http://sports.racer.net/engines/suzuki/gt750/page1.htm

Thread hijack aside, I picked up a small mistake in the very first paragraph on the above link but the rest seems all good including a possible contact for Ocelot Info ;)

I remember Bert Skuce formerly of Bert Skuce Marine, Newstead QLD in the early 80's showed me his one of these when I worked at Bris. Kwaka. Saved from a sugarcane field at Bundaberg it made a lasting impression on me. This he told me was the first watercooled stroker being a 600cc parallel twin ;) 1937 Scott Flying Squirel

image from Wikipedia

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2011, 11:06:11 PM »
Doc great looking bike hey, great save too.

There is or was one on display at the Nabiac Museum, an hour and a quarter north of Newcastle.

A must see if you are on the highway. You will need some hours but. 500 to six hundred bikes there at any one time. I usually go once a year, $11 entry. Spend an hour or so, get a stamp-out. best tee-bone in the world at the local pub for lunch and then back for another hour or so to check the rest out.

1927 Scott Flying Squirrel. Great name hey. Great bit of engineering too. But they don't like you getting drool on it :D

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:22:01 PM by MICK-DE »

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
oops Mick De,i was thinking of the 250mm version,give ya 2 buckets of resin  ;D, :P

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »
If it's any help, the parcel containing the hub weighed 2.62 kg.  ;)

mx250

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »

Can't say I like the looks of that Splinter - looks very dodgy :-[. I much prefer the certainty of the Suzuki 'at the lever' arrangement 8)

But I love the appearance and aesthetics of the double sided drum 8). But that much Class is wasted on a tractor :-\.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »
splitter ;),even better idea is one continuous cable from l to r brake arm through a small wheel arrangement on lever blade,(very old school italian),instant compensation  ;), :P

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »
Hi Glenn, Been too busy to get on here lately, but just letting you know I got received the hub for little Burt. Excellent condition, perfect actually, thank you.

If you need anything done on the east side, just give me a cooee.  ;)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 10:57:17 PM »
Happy to help, Mick. Found it at a flea market, spoked into a skinny, rusted rim and buggered ribbed tyre, and covered in rust. Cut it out of its' prison, and gave it a beadblast, only then figured out it was only 180mm...it's been awaiting your call ever since. Nice to help get another labour of love out of the garage... :D

mx250

Curly3

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2011, 08:43:35 PM »

The lanky one in the Lewis Leathers is Billy Mack, the other handsome dude is curly Norm, my dad.
It took a while but I got there.
Bathurst, late 60's, but it's the same year Billy won the production race on Dad's 500 Cobra.
This bike was Rocketship fast, in its day, just couldn't stop it.
I'd love to know where it ended up???
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:47:53 PM by SlideRulz »