Author Topic: RE:wrecker closing down  (Read 21467 times)

mx250

Re: RE:wrecker closing down
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
paying all the tax?
You're not ATO I hope :-X

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re:wrecker closing down
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
I have a friend who lives by selling innumerable small items on eBay.
Yes, lives on it. Does fairly well. Has been doing it for oh, 3 years by now.
So much for the people saying it is all too hard.
Luke

Define doing well
Making enough to feed himself
or
Paying off a mortgage, car and feeding a family
And / or leasing a shop / factory

Does he make his money selling motorcycle parts?
Some of the margins for reselling aren’t all that much.
Finding a source of stuff to sell that is sought after and can be acquired for the right price usually means before long someone else has found it too and will be undercutting you.

I knew a guy that lived from buying and selling from the trading post and E-bay, did quite well too.
He never paid tax though, worked from home and hardly ever worked on what he was reselling, just looked for items that were cheap and then talked them up when he was reselling them.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
Ebay reports to the ATO any seller above a certain threshold. The ATO regularly audits power sellers and online aby stores. I spoke at length about to Peter the man behind 'Arc Industry' who sells welder/plasma cutters and such through a website and ebay. He cut his workload down when he was employing 2 people.Peter has been easily contactable and has as much work fixing any brand of welder as he does servicing his own brand. Previously rented a industrial unit when it outgrew his garage. quit his IT job and bought a unit in the same complex.
Myths busted.

Buying things cheap and talking them up for resale can be seen on any episode of the ABC  'Collectors' show, delve into the grubby world of art dealers makes parting out a bike for parts look like the work of a saint.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Paying all the tax? If he isn't earning enough to pay much tax then life at the threshold must be better than I recall. If he's making a 'good' living then he must have all the permits to operate a business in a residential zone (not easy to get) and the other licences associated with wrecking and s/h sales. Thats a lot of money going out right there IF you are paying all the required commitments. Its a good life to be able to sit at home running a ,I assume, legitimate business. Ahh, Ebay - never had ebay get me the right part or a refund if there's been a problem. Never had a representative of ebay repair my bike either when a self-diagnosis didn't work.
 The anonymity of the internet allows plenty of freedom for abuse (and opportunity)- at least with a local business its possible to deal face to face if there's a problem. People are whinging about others making a living from your hobby by selling you bike parts from a legitimate business, BUT, it seems its OK for your mate to sell on-line and make a good living selling you bike parts from his backyard. If he's getting the bits so cheaply that he can sell at low prices, why doesn't he just give them away? Oh, yeah, there's money to be made. Don't see the backyarder employing staff and mechanics to help with YOUR problems. Ebay is for whims, shops cater for your needs.

A better outlook might have it that, bugger, there goes another small business and employer from the local community, one who is keeping the $$$ in Aus, not sending funds overseas to help someone outside the country live and profit from your hobby.

Myth busted Lozza? Your mate still has to provide a tangible service which can't be provided via a keyboard. He has had to buy a commercial outlet to run the service side of his business.Where will customers drop their faulty gear otherwise? Sells welders from there too I'd guess. Good on him for getting off his arse and getting on with doing something.

WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 08:22:42 PM »
just went to beenleigh motorcycles everything is still for sale i was looking for a brake plate for my daughters 88 xr100 didn't find one yet but only had a quick look.did see a 83 rm250 rear brake plate almost new condition,A100 looked brand new plenty of xl-xr 185 and 200 mid 80's brake plates.plenty of rear shocks for old dirt bikes did see one for yz125 k don't know what year they are but it looked to be in real good nick s#*t loads of rear sprockets both new and second hand old rm80 and 50 front brake plates heaps of road bike exhausts a few motors lying around.if you want some old bike stuff take some cash and grab a bargain it all has to go.cheers gary

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
Myths busted.

No myths, no doubt it can be made to work.
It’s the switched on guys than run a workshop and are on the net that do well.
But your mate with the welding shop only has to take a photo and  write a description for a nozzle or welder once and he can then keep repeating it..
It’s the wrecker that has to do it for every item which increases the amount of labour that goes into every saleable item to the point that we end up with pricing for very rare parts like this…

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330503018878&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If I could find a decent supply of widgets to sell I would be selling on e-bay too, stuff getting black from pain in the arse jobs everyday.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »

It’s the wrecker that has to do it for every item which increases the amount of labour that goes into every saleable item to the point that we end up with pricing for very rare parts like this…

It's called work, taking pictures and tapping on a keyboard still beats digging trenches.  A lot of U.S wreckers are listing on ebay and selling worldwide. 

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 10:58:54 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330503018878&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I think JDK works on the principle of being very high profile, good customer service* and having lots of new-ish stock that's actually worth something/relatively easy to sell. But when they're asking $1200+ for a KDX200 motor in bits ("I think its all there") even though its in need of replated cylinder and rod kit, its hard to imagine them ever selling it...

Honestly, most wreckers are nut jobs, regardless of whether its car or bike. (CanAm370 seems the most sane, by a big margin despite owning a Rokon...  ;D )
In particular, the lack of ability to recognise & liquidate dead stock is a common, and significant failing.

*Their customer service is good rather than amazing, in the big picture - but compared to most wreckers, it is amazing.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »
Myth busted Lozza? Your mate still has to provide a tangible service which can't be provided via a keyboard. He has had to buy a commercial outlet to run the service side of his business.Where will customers drop their faulty gear otherwise? Sells welders from there too I'd guess. Good on him for getting off his arse and getting on with doing something.

Why is this such a difficult concept to understand?

Peter has been easily contactable and has as much work fixing any brand of welder as he does servicing his own brand. Previously rented a industrial unit when it outgrew his garage. quit his IT job and bought a unit in the same complex.

So a hobby became a job and then took over his life, then branched out diversified a little, found a niche and catered to it, lowered overheads by returning to a solo operation that is much more managable and profitable.Interestingly he said the price matching he is forced to do with sellers from China are only a small percentage of sales the vast bulk is through the website for a much higher price with a 2yr warranty.Go figure.My dear old mum has been in the rag trade for 30 odd years and what Nathan points out is 100% correct, moving dead stock is imperative.

Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 07:10:49 AM »
i got nothing good to say about jdk i have rung numerous times about pe barrell and crank got told they had them they will get them out and call back never did.same thing with front brake setup for my cr.all up rang them 7-10 times roughly between the items i were chasing in the end i gave up on them.as far as im concerned it should be dicks like them going down the gurgurler instead of blokes like stewart from beenleigh who would always call back and go out of his way to find stuff for people.jdk also wanted $1000 for a 94 rm 80 motor when asked if it goes all i could get was its got good compression couldn't even get a straight answer as to the motor starting there just a waste of space but thats just my opinion based on dealings ive had with them.cheers gary

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 08:19:01 AM »
I find it hard to believe some of JDK's prices.  But if they can sell the stuff for what their asking, good luck to them.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 08:28:01 AM »
My dear old mum has been in the rag trade for 30 odd years and what Nathan points out is 100% correct, moving dead stock is imperative.

Dear Old Mums right, anything sitting about is costing you 20% a year. I have about 20 Million USD of stock as part of my division and purchase about 4 million a month, we are pretty ruthless, the older it gets the more expensive it gets. OR I will only sell assemblies like turbocharger cartridges, rather than individual parts to get rid of the old shit.

Learn't that from my cousin the auto wrecker, who tends to sell like the front and back sub sections of the car, want a brake plate, well you get to buy the wheel and swing arm with it.
formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
My dear old mum has been in the rag trade for 30 odd years and what Nathan points out is 100% correct, moving dead stock is imperative.

Which is a unique difference between retail and wreckers.

Wreckers are expected to have that '63 A100 side cover 'sitting around'. Yeah it cost him virtually nothing to acquire but he has paid rental and other costs for 30 years on this little gem. Now after 30 years of storage this little biddy bit of stock is expected to make it's contribution to the 30 year financial burden.

But it's a balancing game, the wrecker wants/needs to get the max, the buyer wants/expects to pay the minimum - then it's a game of cat and mouse, a game of bluff, cunning and patience from both sides.

And there are three wrecker markets; the moderns, the 'keep 'em running commuter clunkers' and the restorations. What does surprise me is the wreckers get these three markets confused. Go to Ebay Oz right now and you'll find wreckers who ask $100 for a well used, 'in need of total resto' '75 CB250 as well as a '80 GSX1100 tank. But I'm sure this is wishful thinking 'trying their luck' approach. The answer is, make them an offer, or wait and be patient.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:32:51 AM by mx250 »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »

It's called work, taking pictures and tapping on a keyboard still beats digging trenches.  A lot of U.S wreckers are listing on ebay and selling worldwide. 

Yeah, that was sort of my point.
Its easy work, but still time consuming which adds to the labour costs of parts.
What brings me to comment here is that in one instance I am reading that a wrecker should just jump on e-bay (which assumes they are computer savvy, E-bay Savvy, Paypal savvy, and understand all the computer scams that go on) and somewhere else I’m reading that guys won’t sell on e-bay because of all the drama’s, but business’s are expected to cop all those drama’s.
It sure as hell can work, no argument, but it’s not for everyone.
People don’t like taking Paypal because of the fee’s, but every business that’s ever excepted a credit card has to cope with those same fee’s
Hiring labour here isn’t an easy thing either.
US seems to be able to do a lot of things cheap, they have cheap labour costs as there seems to be a larger gap between the haves and have nots.
Mexican labour gets pipes welded up cheaply, can’t get that here, I am the bloody Mexican.

I don’t think anyone doubts that you can make a living from the net, but it has become so easy that lots of backyard operators can build small business’s that don’t have the overheads of somebody with a shop front.
As a consequence, some good business’s that aren’t computer savvy fall by the wayside.

I work from home myself, I used to rent a factory but the overheads were too high for this industry, it was restructure to cheaper overheads or go do something else.
I guess some wreckers are choosing to do something else.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »

I don’t think anyone doubts that you can make a living from the net, but it has become so easy that lots of backyard operators can build small business’s that don’t have the overheads of somebody with a shop front.

Which is the point, that business can be much more competitive if it is free from the overheads of bricks and mortar stores. This creates new business opportunities and creates additional employment. Shop front is unnecessary for a lot of things, I am sure GMC and most bike wreckers, car sales etc etc can do nicely without it.

Shop front is a distraction, like someone said earlier you end up talking to tyre kickers and hagglers, on ebay people are there to buy and haggling takes the buyers time up but not really the sellers.
formerly Marc.com