Author Topic: RE:wrecker closing down  (Read 21402 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: RE:wrecker closing down
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
Tell me about that MX250. We still can't find a moto mechanic to work on our XS650 up our way-they all say it's way too old. Hope my G.P. doesn't go the same way or we'll be forked.

knoiw a guy down here that can fix it if you get stuck.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »
Instead of closing down, they should start a  ebay Australia shop. I see more and more tradtional wreckers jump on the online bandwaggon. There are still people who winge and complain about prices of buying and shipping used parts from overseas, so if there was more Australian  ebayers selling second hand parts then it would be better for the guys who dont want to buy stuff from overseas. People are also more willing to pay a little higher prices online for the convienience as they dont have to drive to a wreckers or they may not have any wreckers  in their area.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:19:10 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
Hmmm, a phone call during business hours (or email) and post to you. Terribly inconvenient. ::)
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 08:19:08 PM »
the main things that closed beenleigh were high overheads and bad health and not to mention the thieving little c**ts that came in and cleaned out his till a few times last year.cheers gary

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 08:35:20 PM »
the main things that closed beenleigh were high overheads and bad health and not to mention the thieving little c**ts that came in and cleaned out his till a few times last year.cheers gary

Do it on line and there is no till to clean out. take advantage of the Aussie $, buy from the USA, strip em and sell em on line. Then all you have to do is pick the right bikes.

My Amercian buddy is struggling a bit, the GSXR stuff that was racing out the door seems to have ground to a halt, Metric cruiser stuff is shifting believe it or not. OH and 4 stroke MXer engines ;-)
formerly Marc.com

oldfart

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 08:36:52 PM »
location,  wasn't one of there strong points either Gary ......

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 08:41:36 PM »
 One of the big problems that wreckers have around this area is huge overheads especially with rent and compliance to council enviro rules.
 Compare this to stripping a damaged vehicle in your backyard and putting stuff on evilbay.
 See another wrecker closed down in  Chullora today, 80 firefighters in attendance.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »
yeah not to good location stewart.micks moto from logan home on the service rd near were the logan motorway joins the m1 will be moving there.he already has a fair size customer base so he should be alright.good for me as its only about 3 min drive from my place probably good for him to as i don't know that much about bikes although im learning.cheers gary

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 10:28:02 PM »
Instead of closing down, they should start a  ebay Australia shop.

Putting stuff on e-bay is easier said than done.
Taking a photo of every item, typing up a fair description, constantly checking Paypal or bank accounts for payments, time spent wrapping and posting, answering all manner of questions and then your paying fee’s all the time for stuff that doesn’t sell.
It can work out good for all the common sought after stuff but do you then just junk all the slow moving stuff because no one bids on it when you put it up.
This could be because no one wants it or because the buyer that wants it doesn’t happen to search for it that week.

How many times have I read on here lately that people won’t sell on e-bay because of all the hassles, business’s have the same hassles too.

No doubt it can be made to work but sometimes it can create more expenses and the turnover may not be enough to compensate the administrative time involved

People don’t want to pay much for small items either but it still takes time for some bloke to remove the part from the bike in order to sell it to you.

Don’t know how a lot of businesses manage to survive with some of the overheads they have to pay.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:28 AM »
its a bit annoying to hear people bleat on about what the wreckers are /where charging yep ebay is killing them along with swapmeets too for that matter.you add in wages,super,compo,epa lic,dealers lic/2nd goods lic,rent,inspections by transport department,office of fair trading plus the cost of buying bikes -the insurance companies worked out if you let the public in to buy they get way way more moey for wrecks -dickheads get auction fever so the wreckers cant get stock for the right price.where as you do it it on ebay no over heads,ability get to use mid night spares etc.i have difficulty getting parts now for some of the older bikes road as well as dirt cause the wreckers in qld are all pretty well gone,and you cant always find it on the net especially when its a customers bike and they want it on the road asap-its alright when doing up a bike you can usually wait.dirt bike parts from os arnt usually a problem story changes for road bikes tho.thats a lot of knowledge thats going to disappear soon :(

mx250

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »
Anyone want to have a go here's your chance.....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KTM-and-Husky-Wrecking-Business-now-1-2-price-/250781120632?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Businesses_for_Sale&hash=item3a63b83878

A good deal really IMHO ;). The key to it is cheap storage which probably means semi-rural ;).

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »
get to use mid night spares etc.

Yeah i wonder on my Harley builds how many mid night spares and insurance jobs I have absorbed off ebay, still that has always been part of the Harley scene.  :D
formerly Marc.com

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
RE:wrecker closing down
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 04:43:18 PM »
I have a friend who lives by selling innumerable small items on eBay.
Yes, lives on it. Does fairly well. Has been doing it for oh, 3 years by now.
So much for the people saying it is all too hard.
Luke

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »
does he do it from home?

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »
Paying all the tax? If he isn't earning enough to pay much tax then life at the threshold must be better than I recall. If he's making a 'good' living then he must have all the permits to operate a business in a residential zone (not easy to get) and the other licences associated with wrecking and s/h sales. Thats a lot of money going out right there IF you are paying all the required commitments. Its a good life to be able to sit at home running a ,I assume, legitimate business. Ahh, Ebay - never had ebay get me the right part or a refund if there's been a problem. Never had a representative of ebay repair my bike either when a self-diagnosis didn't work.
 The anonymity of the internet allows plenty of freedom for abuse (and opportunity)- at least with a local business its possible to deal face to face if there's a problem. People are whinging about others making a living from your hobby by selling you bike parts from a legitimate business, BUT, it seems its OK for your mate to sell on-line and make a good living selling you bike parts from his backyard. If he's getting the bits so cheaply that he can sell at low prices, why doesn't he just give them away? Oh, yeah, there's money to be made. Don't see the backyarder employing staff and mechanics to help with YOUR problems. Ebay is for whims, shops cater for your needs.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:47:12 PM by Canam370 »
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!