Author Topic: BWP Returns to Dirt Track.  (Read 7581 times)

Curly3

BWP Returns to Dirt Track.
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »
Bankstown Wiley Park are returning to Dirt Track this year and will be holding meetings at Nepean in conjunction with St George and Penrith clubs.
This is great news as they are one of the foundation clubs for the Nepean Raceway and were a major force during the golden years of Short Circuit.
My family has a strong history with the club and if I can ride during the year at club days as a member of BWP then I'll be re joining the club for sure.
Go the blue diamond.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Re: BWP Returns to Dirt Track.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
That's great news , Steve.
Old Mate, Ray Harris aka ' Wombat " who  lives in Tuena , just south of us here ,  used to do the CoC and  Starts for BWP at Nepean in the Seventies & Eighties  and when I told him that the Club might be running  at Nepean in October he was dead chuffed , so when it's on EA and I will travel down and bring Ray with us.
Told him about the 60th re-union and he said he has some stuff from the 50th , also some programmes from club days BITD.
Foss
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:39:01 PM by JAP 454 »

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:49:33 PM »
Thanks Al, they are on the lookout for memorabilia for the reunion so if there is a chance Ray or you could possibly scan them & get them to me I'll pass them on for sure.
The Captain is coming down for the reunion.
Cheers, Steve

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »
slides great to hear that bwp has a day booked, but in your reply you quote "meetings at nepean" only got my info of st george web. so is there another date? if so possibly another vintage track day? i garther that the day that is booked (oct) would be modern and vintage meeting.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »
Hey Steve
If Classics do run at the BWP meeting , do ya wanna have a skid around on the Glen Gall XT ?? # 59 at Griffith
I'll bring it down for ya
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:20:41 PM »
At this stage they're only hosting one meeting but it's a start.
This is only my speculation but as Penrith & St G host 3 meetings each in a 6 round club championship for a season, eventually it may become 3 clubs hosting 2 rounds each.
I seem to recall Firko mentioned, in a previous thread, that an old Sydney club had big plans for a return to Dirt Track, or something like that.
When I started looking for info and bike bits a couple of years ago, I was amazed how Short Circuit had withered away so much in 25 years.
If the return to the sport by a once dominant club helps raise its profile then lets go for it.
At least we're talking about it.
Hey Foss, I'm normally reluctant to ride someone elses bike, but if your game, I'm game.

P.S. I spoke to the BWP president today and he knows Wombat and already has a lot of that stuff.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:19:05 PM by SlideRulz »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »
Steve

Er Indoors won't let me race anymore , so some-ones gotta ride it , Glenn Gall ,  from Bankstown , the original owner, passed away nearly 12 years ago now, I keep it going for young fellas to ride , in his memory.
The motor was freshened up 18 months ago , and has only seen two meetings since , one at Canberra and of course , Griffith.
I know how you feel about riding other peoples bikes but theres no strings attached , if something happens to it, dont worry , I'll just fix it and bring it out again when the opportunity arises
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »
If he was a Banky boy then it should happen, I can't recall his name but I was off the scene for nearly 28 years and well done for keeping his legacy going.
Thanks for calling me a young fella.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:33:47 PM by SlideRulz »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 08:33:08 PM »
Hey steve have you got any names of BWP riders from the 60s who might come out to Nepean? I can't think of names that I was on tracks with in those days [that are still around] but maybe you can remind me. Be good to see them especially any 'Super Seniors.'
Cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Curly3

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »
G'day Wally, at this stage I don't really know who is still around but over the next few weeks Ill keep you posted as to " Where are they now ". Billy is coming down and Eric Debo is also confirmed for the reunion so the word is filtering out for sure.
You should come along yourself Wally?

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »
How's Eric these days? have'nt seen him for a while, the late old Bobby Jones named him the 'laughing cavaleer.'

Curly3

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 03:47:17 PM »
Just a reminder that BWP will be hosting the Rd7 clubday at Nepean on the 30/10.
The word is out to try to get as many of the old heads out there as an informal reunion.
There is a chance brother Carl may ride my bike as I'll be pedaling the Glen Gall bike provided by Foss & EA.
The only peoblem I see with that is we'll be in the same class.
If anyone out there knows of someone who may have a connection with BWP please spread the word.
Cheers, Steve

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
 I will do my level best to be there! For all the above mentioned reasons, plus I want to ride with some of the old BWP mob.
 I have a b/w pic somewhere of a BWP bloke sliding a BSA I think a 500 Goldie at Musswelbrook about '64. I wil find it and bring it out. The name Gaddes comes to mind.

Curly3

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
Noel Gaddes, Pancho.
I don't think there will be many of the old brigade riding but hopefully they'll turn up to watch.

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
hearing thru the grapevine that bwp format maybe different to what the other clubs do.please do not try and reinvent the wheel on your return.KIS