Author Topic: Armstrong  (Read 28555 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »
 :o Silver Dream Racer a crap movie :o     

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

.....Nick Freeman ....... :'( :'( :'(

...........I'm devastated............ :'( :'( :'( :'(

;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »
Armstrong had the 320 & 250 piston port engined bikes and also the rotary disk valve 240 which I think was around 1984 while the 320/250 was late '84 and '85. They also continued on with mono shock versions of the 320/250. The Bombardier rotary disk engines and piston port engines appeared in several trials bikes most notably the SWM which took a world title.

Post Classic Trials has a cut off 31 Dec 1986 with no disk brakes allowed and twin shocks and air cooled only. It was orginally cut off at 31 Dec '84 but was extended a several years ago mostly to allow in the TLR200/250 Honda bikes but also allowed in the Montesa Cota 242 and 330 series. It appears that the Armstrongs could also be included.

Where is Feetupfun he probably knows exact details  ;D

montynut as far as I know you are spot on with all that stuff about eligibility for post classic MA trials events. I also thought that the SWM Jumbo might have been slightly dodgy for eligibility until the cut-off went to 1986
David

previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »
Didn't the 320TL Jumbo series begin in '78?
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

TooFastTim

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 09:03:59 AM »
The Jumbo production started in '83. I see no reason why it should be contentious, it was air cooled, twin shocked and drum braked.

CanAm370. The jumbo was a different production line to the TL line. The TL started production in '78.

'78 TL320:

'82 TL320 (noter rear subframe):

'83 Jumbo (again note the rear subframe):

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:05:31 AM by TooFastTim »

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »

Thanks Tim. Here's a pic of my 320TL, 1979 model. Its due at the beginning of Feb. I'll be using when I can between Vinduro's. My son has a TLM50 so we'll get out into it as often as we can. Been awhile since I've competed in Trials....have to go Clubman for awhile......just to show the boy the ropes of course ::) ;D

The Jumbo has no lower frame cradle, subframe loop and the footpeg plates are flat plate too to reduce the frames width.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:33:04 PM by Canam370 »

TooFastTim

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »
CanAm, here's a pic of a later TL with disc valve engine and Jumbo frame:

Offline llewdaert

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »
Is yor SWM the Marzocchi front end model??

Thanks Tim. Here's a pic of my 320TL, 1979 model. Its due at the beginning of Feb. I'll be using when I can between Vinduro's. My son has a TLM50 so we'll get out into it as often as we can. Been awhile since I've competed in Trials....have to go Clubman for awhile......just to show the boy the ropes of course ::) ;D

The Jumbo has no lower frame cradle, subframe loop and the footpeg plates are flat plate too to reduce the frames width.

TooFastTim

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 08:11:51 PM »
Yeah, that model has the 'zokes. The Betors only appeared on the blue, "pernod", models later. I much prefered the Betors. I had a few experiences where the 'zokes tucked in under me. Not a catastrophe but enough to cost me marks.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »
S'far as I know the forks are Marzocchi. According to Martin at SWM-Moto the trick mod to the later models is to fit the earlier straight lower clamp.
 I'll be happy if the thing doesn't plough the front end like a lot of the early trialers did.

Offline llewdaert

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 04:51:43 PM »
I have one of these-a 'Guanaco' I believe. The Marzocchi front end is the same as the white italjet and Fantic 240 pro's[I think]. I have seen several of the Italjet top yokes break[done two myself] So I am interested in any info on alternative triple clamps especially if they handle better.
I dont recall mine [SWM]ploughing round corners or tucking- I competed for a year on it prior to going Fantic 240 pro
Cheers

S'far as I know the forks are Marzocchi. According to Martin at SWM-Moto the trick mod to the later models is to fit the earlier straight lower clamp.
 I'll be happy if the thing doesn't plough the front end like a lot of the early trialers did.

TooFastTim

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »
I dont recall mine [SWM]ploughing round corners or tucking- I competed for a year on it prior to going Fantic 240 pro

I remember the section (amazing how we can remember sections that we rode 30 years ago). 'bout a 4' drop-off with a tight left immediately the front wheel hit the bottom, so forks were under full compression at the time.

Now, of course, we'd get the front wheel to the bottom and flick the back end around.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »

I remember the section (amazing how we can remember sections that we rode 30 years ago). 'bout a 4' drop-off with a tight left immediately the front wheel hit the bottom, so forks were under full compression at the time.

Now, of course, we'd get the front wheel to the bottom and flick the back end around.

I remember doing the same on a 247 Fantic - but the thing was at full lock when it hit the bottom......took 2 Clydesdales and a portapower to get the bike out of my arse :P

TooFastTim

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 06:36:13 PM »
Just off the press from: http://www.armstrong-trials.co.uk/index.html. Includes production numbers.

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »
Thanks Tim. I've just sent them a photo of a Queensland based Rotax Armstrong
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 11:25:40 PM »
Not at all Llew. The BSA powered machines were a novelty. Very rare (and hence never popular) and now hugely expensive. Only around 100 were made. Nor were they very good.
The Hiro powered bikes were the opposite, very popular and very successful. Steve Saunders won a UK championship on one and John Lampkin had considerable success in the world championship on one.
From a collectors point of view the Hiro powered bikes are, like Italjets and for the same reason, to be avoided. Spares are non-existant.

Rewind to 1979 - 31/1/1979......85 Two Stroke Hiro where starting their life on the assembly lines.  8)
How many still exist in their original state  :P  ? 
Happy Birthday Hiro  8)
Best is in the West !!