Author Topic: Buy a zinc plating kit or use commercial plater?  (Read 11895 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Buy a zinc plating kit or use commercial plater?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 08:57:20 PM »
If you've got everything cleaned up and ready ring BHSS.....TBS tomorrow early and they will probably do it while you wait. There at Capalaba...ph 36206555
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 09:06:10 PM »
I recommend CP Plating at Eagle Farm in Brisbane. They did a complete bikes worth of stuff for me including all spokes and nipples for my 500 Husky auto and they came up really great. Only had to replace 1 spoke due to excess zinc build up on the threads.  Make sure you clean each spoke well first however - I used steel wool.  Cost me $80 for the complete bikes worth of stuff. I would steer clear of Pine Rivers at Lawnton.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
Thanks Davey I'll give them a go when work starts up ta.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 07:42:51 AM »
I bought one of those JANE kits.
Lotta fun.
Interesting too. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 11:11:23 AM »
    Hey vmxrider wheel looks great ! i havent have much to do with pulling down or building wheels is it easy enough to learn or is it a pain in the arse job best left to the pro's, i have a few bike's that need finishing off in that area but the cost to get someone to do it is outta my ballpark ! any help apreciated -cheers

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
Its not all that hard, just requires a methodical approach and some time and patience. Some photos, measurements and marking of the hub and rim before you start can save a lot of frustration and anguish when putting it all back together.
There are a few articles on the net on how to do it. For truing up I just mount the wheel back into the swing arm and use a dial indicator or pointer, usually getting the offset and axial runout first the the radial runout.
A good spoke spanner helps and they are on ebay as a kit to cover most nipple sizes.
With old wheels rusted on nipples is the biggest problem. A little bit of heat helps as well as WD40 etc. Broke a few spokes on the Husky wheel and had to get some made.
If your a serious racer I'd say leave it to the pros, but for a bike thats not going cop a lot of use/abuse and you've got some time its a cheaper alternative for sure.