Author Topic: I want to do the Four Day.  (Read 18291 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
I want to do the Four Day.
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:37:18 PM »
Not in 2011, but 2012 or 2013, I reckon - once my daughter becomes less high maintenance (she's a month old ATM...).

Now... The thing is that I'm a useless wobbler with minimal enduro experience - I've done three club level Pony Express events ever and I sure didn't threaten for the win at any stage! I'm competent, but nothing amazing as a rider - maybe a bit slower than most guys, maybe a bit better than some in the technical stuff, I guess.

The rough plan is to do as much riding between now and then as possible, including some 'proper' enduros, and to be less unfit (no dreams of becoming an iron man or anything).

Several people have suggested that you need a new bike or you're wasting your time. I was figuring on giving my '04 TM125 a big birthday before the event - or is this not good enough?

Any advice on what to ride if not the TM? I'm a big fan of smaller 2-strokes, and am leaning toward a new TM125/144 or YZ144 if I have to spend real money. Other options are YZ125, KX125 (possibly with a 144 kit?), KX250 or YZ250. Obviously the Kawis can't be bought new, but there's tons of low kilometre bikes for sale ATM.

I'm NOT going to spend otherwise useful money on a new 4-stroke, unless there's compelling reasons to do so.

How many people do I need to drag along to help me out?

My goals are (in order):
1. To avoid going to my grave while still wondering.
2. To finish.
3. Drink lots of beer afterwards.
4. To not totally embarass myself (when I'm on the bike - on the beer is another matter).

Anything else I should know? Horror stories? Tips/wisdom?
Am I mad?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
Re: I want to do the Four Day.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:19:35 PM »

As one wobbler to another :D
Go for it.
I rode four 4days one silver & 3 Mech DNFs and helped out at many more, loved em.  Some of the toughest days i spent on a bike was at 4days.
Couse there not as hard nowadays ;) 
Of your list the YZ125 would be my pick.
The compelling reason to buy a 250 4st is there like cheating and for a wobbler are far better than any on your list.  WR250 for me.     
Get bike fit, Get a job as a postie.

Do it, by the 4th day you get used to the pain and you'll be able to ride over anything.
And the beer tastes so good.
Cheers
Noel

The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:28:11 PM »
I don’t think it would be absolutely necessary to have a latest model bike to finish, but im not saying you should go out and do it on a 78 IT175 either. I think any late 80’s bike onwards would be more than capable if prepared correctly. You gotta remember that the older stuff is fairly basic mechanically and easy to work on. With some of the new stuff, there can be more gadgety sort of things and a failure of one tiny thing could mean a DNF. Im not exactly sure what im thinking of but one thing that springs to mind extra electrical sensors connected to the carb, I dunno, I just think generally there is a lot more little things that fail on a newer bike, especially 4 strokes and stuff with fuel injection. I think if you spent the right amount of time fully preparing and going over an older model bike there should not be any reason why the bike won’t finish. In the end I think it will come down to bike preparation and preventative maintenance, that would be my number one tip for any long distance or multi day event as i have heard so many stories of DNF's from all sorts of stupid things that could have been prevented in the shed. An old 90’s model XR would be rock solid reliable I reckon (not one with a stack of Km’s on the clock though and never had a rebuild), but I would still personally choose a lighter 2 stroke. Fitness and body preparation are another good point.
Good Luck on your ambition

Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:23:10 AM »
Oyster Bay MCC will run a vintage class in one of there enduros at Portland we have 5 riders we need another 7 to make the class up should be around Feb next year

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:57:27 AM »
Tip No1

Daughter's go from high to higher and higher again maintenance ;)

Go for it on a 144.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:29:35 AM »
I'm thinking along similar lines, I can dig your four goals. The roadbike's gone and I'm riding a pushbike to work in an effort to get fitter.

Don't discount your ability - I'd have a go, and you're definitely a better rider than me!

As for the bike, why not use your '04 TM? I think Leith's right - the key for a privateer would be preparation & reliability. If you know the TM and trust it, just give it that 'big birthday' and you'll have money left over for other costs.

Speaking of costs, do you have any idea of how much it will set you back?

Good on you I say!

Tex

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:59:01 PM »
Go for it. I rode in the first three 4 Days and DNF them all (once on a Yamaha IT250D, and twice on my 1978 Husky 390 AMX), and still regret not having had another go and maybe even finishing.

Three years ago I descided to have a go at the 24Hr trial that is run here in SA, as back in the early 80's a lot of the people that I rode observed trials with also rode in road trials and I watched them at several 24's and always wanted to have a go. In 2008 I started riding reliability trials to see if I could maybe handle the night riding involved in the 24. I entered the 24 and I made it to the end of the second lap (13hrs of riding for me) in 2008 and in 2009 I pulled out at the end of the first lap (6hrs riding). Both time I pulled out because I was total knackered and swore that I would not have another go (but the memory of the pain and suffering rapidly fades). I would have had another go this year except I knew I had to work on the weekend that it was being held. I am now building a different bike (the 1976 XT500C I normally ride is not the best bike to try it on), to have another go in 2011.

I can now at least say that I tried, and I am going to keep trying as long as I can keep riding, eventually I might make it to the end of the event.

So give it a go, if you don't try you will always have that "I could have, should have tried" in the back of your mind. If you do ride and don't finish, well, welcome to the club. It is nothing to be ashamed of, as there a an awful lot of people in this world who never get of there fat arses and try, and you will be one up on all of them for having a go.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »
It's  extreme to say the least, the only good advise I could give you is , Train, Train and Train like a bastard and then,... it will still destroy you.

If I was going to do it, it would be on a KTM EXC200, I reakon it would give you the greatest chance of finnishing.

you will need at least 3 support crew and a good camper van or similar to get decent rest/sleep between days.

also do as many enduro's as you can get to before hand to become as ofey as you can with maps , time cards, special test procedures etc. and talk to as many experience enduro riders as you can to get as much good advise as you can.

by the end of day two reality will set right in.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:13:15 PM by E74 »

Offline DOK

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 09:09:12 PM »
Just do it Nathan
Your not going to get any younger or fitter.
Pick one of your bikes you feel comfortable on and go for it.
I would suggest something light and easy to ride.
Reliabilty? hey sh!t you can drop a link foul a plug or get crap fuel from Gundagie.

But I would try a few enduroes first. Nothing like a taste of whats to come.
Good Luck
DOK

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »
Go for it Nathan you've got nothing to lose & you can gain the satisfaction of saying at least you gave it a go!, I rode in the 90 Cessnock & 91 Bright four days, well truth be known they were 2 days to me as i DNFed both of em due to drowning my yz125 the first year & houring out the second year coz i was too slow  :),but i'm glad i tried! I still have my Bright riders park ferme pass which i kept as a momento. My advice is to go along to a 4 day as a spectator & get a feel for the whole show to see how everything works,then when you front the starter you know what to expect,In the meantime try to ride as many proper timed enduros with special tests & timed sections as you can,especially multi day events,and multi day hard trail rides,nothing beats seat time. As for the bike i agree with the others,theres no reason why a well prepped old bike could'nt go the distance but if you are thinking new, what about a Husky or KTM enduro 125,far better than a modded mxer for my money in that kind of event,not sure if you can still buy em though!  

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »
Get a bike of the same vintage as yourself and really "relive" the experience. :D :D

Jimmy

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »
Hi Nathan

I'll second two things;  Daughters get more high maintenance as they get older (think 250 four strokes) and,

a KTM 200EXC would be a great choice, an older one would be fine.  They can drag your butt up any hill and have miles more bottom end than a 125 MX'er.  As a wobbler, I've ridden much better on my old WR200 and a KTM 200, than I have on late model four strokes.  I think you learn what bikes suit you rather than which fare the best in magazine tests..

Oh, and join a good bike club and they will usually provide support to you during the event provided you cover costs etc.
Good luck and go for it

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
having done some 4 days enduros
its all bike preperation
learn to change tyres quickly
get reasonably fit :o
train alot leading up to event preferably on another bike
the 4 days now are a lot easier than back in the day
i finished on gold at the bright 4 day 91
did the last day on a completely bald back tyre
did change it on day 2 but those long rocky uphills rooted it
hey smed do you remember that long uphill not far into bush from start
i reckon there was 60 riders stuck there cant remember which day
i was fortunate to ride on the same minute as geoff eldridge
we swapped bikes through one section he wanted to ride my
rmx it had a pro circuit 300cc kit he was on a ktm300
was a great ride
so do it for the experiance you will need some help
try and get a team of 3 or 4 riders together and it would be a lot easier ;)
follow me to first turn

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »
As per Rusty's post ,   Get to know your bike and make it easy to change parts quickly. Practice changing/ reparing a flat tyre with mud everywhere is a starter ;D.
Being fit in both mind and body is a must, as I have witnessed many a rider come to grief thru shear fatigue  ;) been there.
Do it mate and it will be a tick in the "Bucket list"

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »
Having done my share of four days here is my advice take it or leave it.

If it starts raining go to pub don't think about it just go to the nearest one and get very pissed then let some one beat you up and rob you. This will be the same as riding in the rain except it wont fork your bike.

If you really wish to finish your bike must be new or as new otherwise you just pissing into the wind.
Find out what class is close to front and ride that class being rider 483 (as I was once) is a pain no one should know.
You need a whole lot of money for shit you didn't even know about just to finish I'd budget 15k these days. 
You cant be fit enough. You need to be able to bench press your bike whilst under the garden hose with a mouth full of mud for at least an hour before you start.

Remember to have fun ;D
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle