Author Topic: Check out my new ride. Worth the money????  (Read 21267 times)

Check out my new ride. Worth the money????
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:29:21 PM »
Hey all. I say mine but Dad bought this one. Haven't got any pic's of the whole bike as we pulled it apart straight away. Its a 1965 ish bike. As far as I know the rarest of CZ production bikes. We were pretty keen and after putting the word out found two. One in Holland in pristine condition and the one we bought from NZ. After we went through the pro's and con's , we came to the conclusion that even though the NZ bike wasn't as good a condition as the Dutch one, it was still pretty good and close enough to done. The owner said the motor had been "gone through", tank was painted, so to the frame. It also had a new set of pipes. The owner informed us that the bike was only "thrown together and would need to be assembled properly". I was also told that "it will need more time than $$". I am using exact quotes here hence the "".
Also the wheels are restored with "new alloy rims". There are also parts of another motor and old exhaust.
The deciding factors of buying this one over the Dutch one was that the Dutch bike was unknown territory as far as shipping was concerned and was just over a grand dearer and no idea who the owner was. The NZ bike was owned by a guy that has imported and exported quite a few bikes and being a close neighbour, felt safer. Plus we could lean on him for advise so there weren't any mistakes made by us which always result in paying more than you should (shipping fees)!
SO! After many dramas and a lot of money thrown away due to not having paper work etc sorted  ($1050 EXTRA  ::)), we finally got the bike.
So how does the bike look in real life?
Well we were extremely disappointed. Tank is painted and looks pretty good as does the frame. New pipes are just that.There are the pluses.
The negatives are;
Seat foam and cover have been thrown away. Dad Can save the base as its fibreglass and can be repaired.
The chrome on the forks are gone and need re chroming. On further inspection the fork uppers are incorrect for the bike and at a guess are off a '78-'80 model bike as they are way too long.
The rims are not new, just polished old ones. To be pedantic I prefer stainless spokes unlike the plain spokes used.
The shocks are rooted and have no value at all. Leaking, chrome rusted, bump stops deteriorated.
The handlebars and controls will be thrown away. They are just junk.
The motor is a mess. Its had a blow up so the head was mangled.It has been welded up and then attacked with a die grinder. What a f@#king hack job. Where it has been welded the weld sits up at least 7 thou compared to the rest of the head. It would never have worked.
The piston to bore is roughly 10 thou. If I measure properly in the middle of the bore it would be more for sure. You can drive a truck through the ring end gap. Millimetres, not thou.
Crank seals in crooked. A genius has "gone through" this thing. Everything is fixable. Just got to keep digging in those pockets.
Parts of the clutch are missing as well. Waiting for a puller to strip the rest of the motor but thankfully the gearbox looks fine and have my hopes up with the big end.
So the big question. How much did we pay for this beast. Would you believe $8000au? that's right 8k AND in real dollars to boot. That's equivalent to over $10,000 NZ dollars.  :-[
Am I being fair about this. shit there is always two sides to a story. After a bit of discussion and me saying I want to race it, he did say I should reco the top end . To also be fair he said he "forgot" about the rims and was prepared to reimburse me the equivalent of two Chinese rims. I did tell him to stick his cheap arse rims where the sun don't shine ( that could be anywhere in NZ  :D).
Hopefully you can see the faults I have highlighted, as most of you would know that pictures can lie if you take them at the right angle and light.
Conservatively, I reckon I will have to tip in another $2.5K. Its usually more than you think! I asked for $1500 back. I never got it.
So... good deal?
Oh, I think quite a few would either know him or have heard of him.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:32:22 PM by 090 »

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Check out my new ride. Worth the money????
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »
there is nothing worse than paying good money and the bike get no where near what was described.  bloody disgusting
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 11:48:34 PM »
Disappointing at the least Brad. Ignorance is one thing, deception another. You'll make a treat out of it anyway. Don't let the condition take away from enjoyment of having the rare beast - make it better to make a statement.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 12:22:12 AM »
kehrist you bought a 1965 motorcycle and a CZ at that/

doesn't look bad what did you expect
formerly Marc.com

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:42:10 AM »
This sort of thing isnt new to me (seeing people buy bikes that are not as good as described) but for 8G i reckon i would expect at least a useable set of shocks and controls even if it were asian items.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:09:28 AM »
thats what I worry about Brad - really it is too hard earned to not get  a good deal.  I am contemplating a bike currently but worry when you get told - "the motor could do with a refresh - or I think it's all there" as it's in parts - but what do you do - it's always a risk.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 03:17:45 AM »
i cant see the pics for some reason

suzuki43

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 04:56:43 AM »
Brad,let me know if you need a hand with the seller.I have a feeling his first initial starts with the letter R.
That is a freaking rip off and gives we Kiwis a bad name.
I am sure TM will assist me as well.
I would suggest that if anyone on the forum is considering buying a bike from over here,that they contact me or Bill or DJ and we scope it out for you.
Cheers
Craig
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:59:05 AM by suzuki43 »

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 05:25:44 AM »
i cant see the pics for some reason
"Big Red X" here too. I want to see it......

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 06:59:25 AM »

Is that a question or a statement?

Pictures seem to be there now.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 07:02:40 AM »
Brad,let me know if you need a hand with the seller.I have a feeling his first initial starts with the letter R.
That is a freaking rip off and gives we Kiwis a bad name.
I am sure TM will assist me as well.
I would suggest that if anyone on the forum is considering buying a bike from over here,that they contact me or Bill or DJ and we scope it out for you.
Cheers
Craig

Thanks mate. No its someone else.

suzuki43

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 07:08:15 AM »
No worries Brad,I am steaming mad re this rip off and I would like to reinforce the point that I would welcome the ability to help you with this CZ, and or anyone else looking at buying a bike over here in future.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 07:39:35 AM »

Is that a question or a statement?

Pictures seem to be there now.
[/quote]

Statement, I mean apart from the engine top end the rest seems pretty decent. Plus the owner did tell you that it was thrown together and needed more work which meant it wasn't a minter.

What I find is everyone has different standard of what they think is good. Not a question of being ripped off, just every ones idea of a decent bike differs from others, you bought typical NZ farm yard concourse condition....believe me it could have been worse. Better to get stuck in and go through it yourself for peace of mind.

I don't like to buy bikes that are original New Zealand bikes at all as they definitely get used and with VMXers finally end up on the beach or farm.

Plus New Zealander's are cl
formerly Marc.com

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 07:45:30 AM »

I have used another host as the pictures don't seem to be loading. There are more but will have to wait till I get back.
Please bare in mind, this is not a $1500 bike that I paid $8K for. In the condition it is in and with the spares, I would have paid $6K for it.

While I am here I will answer it as if it was a question.
A seat that wasn't rooted, decent controls, forks that weren't incorrect and pitted, shocks that weren't rooted, a motor that didn't need to be completely stripped and rebuilt 'again', new rims, a need to spend at least 2.5K on top of the big money paid as it " will need more time than $$".

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »
yeah i would be disappointed as well, is this a pre 65 eligible bike? and does it have a left hand shift ?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)