Author Topic: Would these things work? (Pipe repair)  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Would these things work? (Pipe repair)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:23:11 AM »
It does actually work. I have had a pipe repaired by a Factory Mech this way at a race-really scared me, a few years ago a local fellow in Tucson, Az. did this on my Maico pipe. It is dangerous-as you can really have a blowout. That said if you are cautious, it works well.  It might be worth investing in.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline bingil 6

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:49:07 PM »
Iv'e successfully repaired chambers using a similar method which is to first decoke the chamber by the use of the oxy & acetylene method ( this is to remove all flamables from inside the chamber as this is what can cause the whole job to go pear shaped ) then seal off both ends of the pipe and have a port in on end for charging the pipe with nitrogen ( the reason for using nitrogen is that it's an inert gas ) by way of a regulator set approximatly 3-5 PSI depending on the wall thickness of the pipe once the pipe is charged you can then heat the areas requiring repair with a small oxy welding tip, and watch the dents & creases come out , But beware if you have never used any of this equipment get it to someone who has otherwise you could be not only up for a new pipe but youre family could endup being one member short

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »
the best i have seen ;D was a guy heated up the dent red hot then turned of the oxygen
and poked the acetelene in the end ,went fuggin bang and jumped about 6 feet off the ground
loud as shit like an acetelene bomb every workshop within 500 meters came out to see what happened
my ears rang for about 30 min :'( actually got 90 % of dent out  8) not recommended though only trained proffesionals or tools should attempt this procedure ::)

it ran last time i started it ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 07:35:31 AM »
Gudday,
I bought a very similar tool from a Canadian bloke on fleabay a coupla years ago. Yep, she works to a point. It's all about how brave you are with the pressure. If the pipes utterly mangamalated it's not much help but for dents it seems to work well. Only had to use it once on the Nephews bike.
Has anyone tried this bloke for repairs to chambers?? http://www.dropbears.com/f/foran/index.htm
I've got a coupla mangamalated ones that I need fixed and wondered if anyone's tried him.
FBC

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 11:24:50 PM »
a few years back i fixed a mates pipe with this same method.
the pipe was off a modern ktm 300 and was damn near flat when we started, with a little patience and a lot of caution it gently came out to normal. the pipe was a nickel plated stock unit and the nickel plating was unaffected by the process.
wear the correct safety gear for sure. heat and pressure don't always get along.
"flat bickie"