Author Topic: Still looking for Mr MOTOCROSS ...  (Read 28584 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Still looking for Mr MOTOCROSS ...
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 10:59:18 PM »

It must be around somewhere then.. probably sitting in someones shed unaware of what he's got.
I bought my '75 RH250 like that from some guy who thought it was an old Ag bike for $600!
Would love to find that SR.
Thought that may have been Broadford but looked too rocky.
[/quote]

Thats how Broadford was in the beginning in its original layout. Later the layout changed and changed  and soil's been brought in over the years several times.

Good find the RH! do you know the bikes history? A friend of mine had one which he kept racing until the 78 Hondas can out.It was fast.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 11:19:29 PM »
No i don't know it's history but pretty sure it was a local Qld bike and i found it in Caboolture a few years back.
They were a very fast engine for the day. I've never used it cos it's in no mans land being a '75 model.

All Things 414

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 06:03:49 AM »
Didn't Holeshot have a pic off it (later one) on the Ning site?

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 07:47:13 PM »
yes i have a lot of piccys of the sr380 :o
its now in darwin and the frame repair gmc done was off that bike
very trick bit of gear has weinart written on bars and under seat
trevor williams and anthony gunter still have there old sr500gp bikes
and the spare one is in qld with a collector along with trevors 440 8)
i might have put johhny o rh250 pic on my ning site as well
the sr380 had sandcast hubs and engine and billet everything
with lots of titanium  mmmmmm nice :P
follow me to first turn

Doggy Digger

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 09:40:17 PM »
About four years ago, I saw a 380 KX at the shed of Elvis, in Upper Pakenham.   He said it took him several years of hanging around a town in Gippsland, asking around in pubs etc ... to track this bike down (as he had a really strong feeling it still existed).   Elvis eventually found it.  Turns out the guy that had it; he didn't know what it was worth.  Elvis finally got his prized bike.

We were standing there, and Elvis told me it used to be Weinert's.   Well, it's a long way from the USA to a small country town in the hills of Victoria, so I thought to myself "bullSHIT".
And I said: "How the hell can you know where this thing came from?"

He pointed to the bars, which - lo and behold - had Weinert's name centrepunched into them.  Elvis then unbolted the seat.   On its underside, words had been melted into the base with hotwire or similar.   I think it said something like Jammer Weinert.
You coulda knocked me down with a feather.
There were approx. 100 bikes in Elvis's shed.   Plus collectable cars, pinball machines, BMXs and steel tonka toy trucks.   (You name it; it was in there ...)

Elvis, Drakey and I then went inside his home for a cuppa, which was as neat as a pin.   There was not one sign or evidence in the whole house of any automotive interest - or masculine influence - whatsoever.
I said: "Elvis, it doesn't look like you even live in this place."

He took us into the main bedroom, and slid a small cardboard box out from under the bed.  (I think there may have been bike mags in it)
Elvis said:  "See this box?  ... I'm allowed to put anything in here I want."
-------------------
I never forgot the sight of those inscribed bars and seat base.   I kinda figured they were named, as each team rider probably had personal preferences in the bum and hand areas ...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:06:41 PM by Doggy Digger »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »
Would that be the one and only same bike that Trevor Williams rode?

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
He took us into the main bedroom, and slid a small cardboard box out from under the bed.  (I think there may have been bike mags in it)
Elvis said:  "See this box?  ... I'm allowed to put anything in here I want!"

I laughed so much when I read this that my wife came to see what the fuss was about, she read it and now wants to meet Elvis's wife. She wants to know how she does it! :o
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 10:23:02 PM »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 04:21:01 AM »
dunno about Mr Motocross but I did spot the first lady of Oz MX, Elle Knowles in that lot ;D

just out of interest, which one is Elle?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »
dunno about Mr Motocross but I did spot the first lady of Oz MX, Elle Knowles in that lot ;D

just out of interest, which one is Elle?
She is the one wearing the motostar helmet with Ele written across the front and a Maico sticker on the top. ;)

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
Yep it was Trevor's old bike and he sold it to Larry Gray  from Mallacoota, with a heap of new old parts.
Larry raced it in the Gippsland centre for a few years then sold it cheep as it was just another bike to him, on speeking to him a few months ago   (as I was trying to find it my self)  he said he was a god dam fool. Lets hope we see it on the track again not stuck in a sheed.  HL

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 12:15:54 PM »

"First Lady" Doc?  What about Dianne Mizon from the early 70's?

firko

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »
Is the ex Weinert KX"380" the bike that Graeme Smythe rode in the '75 Mr Motocross series? If so, many of the gearbox internals and othe bits were made by Frank Stanborough when he ran the Amco Kawasaki team. He has fond memories of that particular ex Weinert bike. So do I.

Doggy Digger

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 03:05:46 PM »
Mark Hill ... 1980 at Broadford, in the rain.    RM465X.   This had a works kit.   (Suzuki's answer at the time to combat works bikes)   It consisted of hand made pipe and muffler, front forks and rear shocks.   Hill had kits on all three bikes: 125,250,465.   The 125 also came with different ignition.   He still has the 125 pipe and the 465 muffler.