Author Topic: Project RM175F  (Read 40124 times)

monaro308

Re: Project RM175F
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2010, 08:45:18 pm »
Thanks Leith that comes in handy!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2010, 12:00:55 am »
Heres another one

Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

monaro308

« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2010, 12:46:23 pm »
Well its time to say....i think its finished (are they ever?)
Apart from sorting out the jetting,a nicer rear brake lever,kickstart lever and getting Rec rego on it...its a runner.
Proper decals will be done.(I like Bahnsy's one) Maybe a name change to RE175,a seat cover,etc,etc..maybe it isn't finished?  :-\
More happy snaps:

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2010, 06:57:29 pm »
Looks very good I am going for a similar sort of thing with my project 400 maybe you want to have a stand on it it looks like it would be great in the bush. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2010, 01:49:02 am »
Thanks Michael,yeah a stand will be needed for sure in the bush.
I'll have to make something up as i don't have the bracket that bolts to the frame,unless anyone out there has one laying around they want to sell.

Post some pics up of your 400 when you get started,always good to see other projects going on
Cheers...Mario

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2010, 06:22:26 am »
Leith, are those yellow UFO headlights available here in Oz ?....and in white !

Roger

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2010, 08:48:20 am »
As far as i know NO, the Australian importer (CASSONS) Is not bringing the UFO vintage line into Australia. You can buy them from www.motoduro.co.uk or http://ktmklassiker.at or http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/ and all 3 will be a lot cheaper than what the light would be if it was available in Australia anyway.

YES they are available in White.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

monaro308

« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2010, 04:27:54 pm »
Since it was an RDO today I thought it was time to devirginise the RM175EF
I gave my mate a call this morning to see if i can tear up his 5 acre property in keysborough and do some sorting out.
The property is just a cow/sheep paddock so its pretty flat with just a few ruts and crap thrown in.
First thing i noticed about the bike is that nearly 30 years ago my PE175X "felt" fast.
Roll on 30 years to today,my recently departed 06 WR450F felt and was fast.

Getting on this RM175 and taking it on its first ride made me realise...this thing ain't no 450!!
Felt like someone put kryptonite under the seat....i was waiting for the power to hit....waiting,waiting.
It never hit,the power was so smooth and once i re-learnt how to ride a 2 stroke (as in scream the mother trucker!) it all came back to me...2 strokes are an absolute blast to ride!
I had a ball,i could tip the bike into corners and it would stay there,hold its line into and around the corner a slight feather of the clutch and fist full of revs and bang out,all in one motion.

My WR you would have to think about the corner,you chop the throttle,the front would dive from the engine braking and totally f@#k up my cornering to the point of having no idea what the front was going to do next...then as you "try" to lean the bike in,the top heaviness and engine braking to the point of slowing you down too much would make the bike want to fall down into the corner.
I have NEVER felt confortable on the WR since the day i've owned it and its been the cornering of that bike that i've hated all along.

Next thing....FULL FLOATER.....never ridden one until today.
2 words HOLY F@#K!
Now i know why the magazines raved on about them in the 80's.
Deep down i was a late 70's early 80's Yamaha YZ fan and Monocross diehard.
In the first 5 minutes of riding the bike and getting used to how well this thing corners and holds its line,i noticed the rear end stayed put under power out of the corner,then across a few deep tractor ruts with the throttle pegged.....a small kick in the butt,but it held its line beautifully and i could hit those ruts faster and faster at 60-80 KPH showing on my GPS strapped to the bars.

Nothing broke or fell off the bike.I still have to sort out the jetting,mainly a bottom-end fluffiness.
Started out with a 35 pilot then tried a 30 but thought the 35 felt better.I'll give a 40 a try next time and see what thats like,i'm not sure if its because of the 34mm flatslide.
Another thing that has to go is the throttle...my elbow nearly touches the front wheel with the amount of throttle turn! What were they thinking??
Might have to raid the Magura on my RM125T...short and sweet.
The only thing that stopped the bike today was FUEL ::) i ran out! Another flashback to riding 2 strokes,thirsty buggers!

Sorry for the long post but i thought i'd give you a run down on its first outing.
I had a ball and that was just in a paddock and it answered my own thoughts....i cannot ride 4 strokes properly/comfortably mainly because of their weight and height.
2 stroke enduro engines in a MX chassis or more to the point,light air cooled 2 strokes in a good chassis that don't tire you out are a blast! ;D ;D

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2010, 04:49:21 pm »
Hey 308,
Don't appologise for the length of the post. Great info and good to hear the bike lived up to your expectations.

I have been following your progress and have just realised I have a spare '84  frame and a PE engine on the shelf…  Hmmmmm inspiration!
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

oldfart

« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2010, 05:19:48 pm »
Those 175 motors like to rev very much like the cousin the RM 125  ;D  I can relate to what you are saying about comparing 4 bangers a 2 smokers two completely different style of cornering are required.
 I have followed this post all the way and have been  waiting patiently for it's maiden voyage post....... thanks for a great post.

Offline floberts

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2010, 05:25:42 pm »
Good to see you enjoyed the first ride and all went well. I too have been following this project and have enjoyed the whole thing.

Well done.
Ben

Offline Scunge

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2010, 07:42:27 pm »
Fantastic story! Almost as good as doing my own project.

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2010, 09:15:36 pm »
Can you hook up a motor to your office chair seat base stand next?

monaro308

« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2010, 09:52:23 pm »
Thanks fellas glad you enjoyed it,i've had fun building it.
A few more tweaks here and there and the real test will be out in the bush,although signs of carpal tunnel in the last couple of years and a busted scaphoid wrist from 20+years keeps numbing my wrist and arm within 10 mins of riding in the bush,at least i can have the occasional play at Frankston MCC.
Enough of the violins playing in the background  ;D ;D

VMX42 if you have most of the parts...i say go ahead and do it.
I'm not sure of the differences in the rear of the PE175 cases of the floater PE's to the twin shock PE.
Leith and Luke would know.
Geez i'd love the 250-400 PE engine in this bike...it would rip but the 175 is great fun.
I still have my '85 frame if it all turned to shite.
One thing i really need is the bracket and side stand for the bike.The PE ones are too short plus i need the bracket...i'm sure other Suzuki bracket may fit,so i'll have to do a bit of searching.

As for the office chair...lol yeah i've run out of stands and milk crates.
Don't laugh but that stand has been a beauty in the shed as i can roll it everywhere and spin it around  ;D
cheers  Mario

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2010, 01:08:46 pm »
Can't ride 4 strokes eh.... well there might be a reason the KTM300 and other 2 stroke enduros are still about. man this will turn into another f&^k 4 strokes session

Glad your project turned out great, back in the day there were a few 175/200 motors dropped into blown 125 frames being used as enduro bikes and now you can probably see why.

formerly Marc.com