Author Topic: 1977 Grand National at Christmas hills program  (Read 19607 times)

All Things 414

Re: 1977 Grand National at Christmas hills program
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 05:31:23 PM »
Did Anton Alers go onto ride Enduro bikes later (albeit with only one leg) or was it someone else That I'm thinking of? :-\

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 06:34:14 PM »
I believe he did and was still very quick.
Stan

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 08:14:01 PM »
I remember a steven peters from Frankston club riding KTM 125's/250's in about 1984/5, not sure if it same one.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 10:55:33 PM »
Your thinking right  rossco

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »
Yes Brent was on a Montesa (with one 'S' Al). Good Lad! :)
I see our own Henry Leatham lined up beside the 'big guns' and Mr Maico (Kenny Baker) in the B grade. ;D
Trevor Brooks and Mark Hill in juniors. Gee that was a long time ago. Was telly around then?  :-\

Thats right Mate , it was Ronnie's 76 250 vic title bike (  a high modded VA with maico forks and a completely chopped frame with redone back end and an up pipe , sort off like a VB but without the vertical rear shocks)  only problem was that I bouht it after Ronnie had giving it a good thrashing in the off season.Everyweek something fell off the bike.At this race the rear brake stay broke - luckily at the least dangerous corner on the whole track.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 11:02:20 AM »
Did Anton Alers go onto ride Enduro bikes later (albeit with only one leg) or was it someone else That I'm thinking of? :-\

I remember going with some mates to watch the Blue Light Enduro in 78 or 79, when it was a real Enduro.
Was watching guys go over a log about 12" round when a guy looked like he was riding side saddle rode over it, then realised he had no leg. Found out later in the day it was Anton. He went over that log a lot better than most of the other competitors
A truly talented guy.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

albrid-3

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 11:48:16 PM »
Has anybody got any motorcross program of the sixties.

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 08:56:01 AM »
Sorry Dot I don't but I will ask an old mate of mine Brian Fisher as I think he has some 60's ones.

Stan.

albrid-3

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 10:17:24 PM »
Very good, Brian Fisher, Say hello to him for me. stan, lovely fellow. I have him racing his greeves at very early Barrabool Track, Yeo track kettle park, plus others. on CD,

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »
Yes Dot I will say Hello. Brian's a great Guy and we have had a lot of fun together. He as raced almost every thing you can.

Stan

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 01:01:55 PM »
Do we know or hear from the Stephen Cramer & family, another posible to invite along to Classic Dirt..as an old ride mate...
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Doggy Digger

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
I have occasional contact with Steve Cramer. No, he does not get involved with vintage scene.

Speaking of Cramers (and here I want to once again thanks Stan's sister for dutifully recording
so many resuts in all Stan's program posts) ... I see first six in GN were 400 Maicos - except
for Grant Cramer plugging a 250 Ossa into the results.   From memory, there were even more
Maico 400s filling out the top ten.

PS:  I heard tell that one-legged Anton was untouchable on the downhills.  I guess his arms were doing
most of the work when descending ... what a legend, all righty!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:04:45 PM by Doggy Digger »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
Stan was it this year that Anton Alers had his accident?

Yeah Jerry that was the race. Anton and Ronnie came through the field and were making ground on Jack when they tangled and crashed at the end of the main straight.

Stan

Are you sure about that? I thought that the accident happened as Anton was attempting to pass Ronnie for the lead with 2 laps to go, they had already passed Jack who then passed the fallen and went on to an easy win.

Offline Jasper

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 10:03:26 AM »
This was a great event, and well organised. The club got the backing of 3XY, who were then a premier Melbourne radio station. They helped with lots of radio advertising which gave the club a bumper crowd.
I was Clerk of Course for the weekend, and we ran some events on the Saturday to accommodate the large entry.
The Christmas Hills track was a very good venue with lots of viewing areas, and the crowd were treated to excellent racing throughout the weekend.
What a shame that the track no longer exists.