Author Topic: Classic Dirt Track Images.  (Read 687842 times)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Dirt Track Images.
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 09:58:05 PM »
Geez that would've been a great photo on the podium,
 I hope he framed that hat  8)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 05:39:18 PM »
great shots! i have a few from amaroo on colour slides that i havent seen for a while i must dig them out and check 'em. i dont have any of me 'cause i only took pics when i wasn't riding. i rarely missed riding at meetings at nepean and amaroo, i also have some good shots at moorebank and of oran park [road races] Jim Scaysbrook has copies of some good black&whites from moorebank, amaroo  and boxers creek that i sent to him. all of these shots were taken between 1960 to about 1972 when i got old enough to know better.Now that im back into it i'm having more fun!  If you happen to see any shots with No 883 in the scenery i would be interested to see them......If i can get a decent slide projector before the nepean 2-day in august i'll sort some slides out to show. cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Curly3

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »
G'day Wally, I'm pretty sure you can still see part of the old Boxers Creek track just to the side of the freeway before Goulburn.
No pressure and I'll understand if you don't want to risk them, but I can transfer your slides onto a disc, pm me if you're interested.
There would be some good stuff there I'm sure.
Steve

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
Bloody top stuff, just been taking to Langy and he says the  #14 bike with the Aussie breastplate is Don Howison and I think the # 112 Is Canberra's Ian Williams.

Steve , on the CD I will send on Thursday it is Bill getting treatment for his eyes from the Ambos at Young after the OZ V poms prang

Fossil

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 08:01:27 PM »
Thanks Foss, all good stuff. Am I correct then, in thinking the #9 Pom is Malcolm Simmons ?
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »
G'day gd

Could have been Malcolm , Langy says it wasnt , I reckon its Roland Duke and Langy will check on his records and let us know

By the way, Langy is the only rider to captain the Aussie Speedway  AND Short Circuit teams against the Poms

Fossil

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
A few more,

Cheers KB

Curly3

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 09:13:02 PM »
They just keep comin thanks to KB.
Great to see Terry Poole with the no1 plate, I personally think he was the most popular Champion of all time.
I have vivid memories of him holding off Keith Sewell & Fraze to win the title at Amaroo.
Who thought you could get a Hagon that far off the ground? I bet Fraze's heart was in his mouth.
Good to see no37 Ian Burkett get his head in there.
To me that earlier shot looks like Malc Simmons but I won't put any money on it.
Amaroo Park was a Photographers dream as it was pretty much set next to a rock face where the spectators sat and provided heaps of good vantage spots.
Keep your eye out KB for a shot of no37 doing an impersonation of an early Bobcat and a dirt mound.
Going back to that earlier starting line shot from Amaroo, remember that they were Flag starts from about 70m away and there were heaps of rollers happening.
Just imagine what that start sounded like, no mufflers or silencers back then.
Awesome.

Curly3

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 09:25:58 PM »
Just another observation, Langy was mainly a speedway rider and the shots of him biting the dust were just after exiting a right hander.
The shot of Charlie leading Kevin Patton & KD looks very much like his home track of West Wyalong.
And it looks to me like in one of the shots of Ian Williams that he's riding a 4V OHC JAP, which has a thread all its own.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »
The  Bill Meyer family photo archives must be unbelievable!!! :o
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

firko

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 10:54:43 PM »
Fossil asked me to post this photo of the Aussie and British dirt track teams. The photo was supplied by John Langfield

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 03:46:41 AM »
cool pics fella's!
that last one Firko with Don Howison,
when i lived in Newcastle yaers ago and was a member of Belmont Club,
Don was pretty strong with the Trials movement.
had no idea he was into flat track.
or that he once had that much hair :D
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 05:40:27 PM »
Early Nepean Vintage meeting..circa 1990.

Mick Cady (318) Kevin Fraser??(76) Edgar Phipps (red leathers)

Chris Ellis (5),Brian \Martin (114) Edgar Phipps (31) Peter Rowland (12) Anybody recognise the others?

firko

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 07:15:09 PM »
Condo Greybeards Meet dirt track circa mid 90s.

Curly3

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 07:55:07 PM »
Firko, don't forget there were 2 Brian Martins around the same time and to me, no 76 looks to be wearing the BM from Wollongong's leathers, he spent a lot of time with Fraze.
Is 114 the other BM?
Great shots.