Author Topic: Classic Dirt Track Images.  (Read 717536 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Dirt Track Images.
« Reply #1080 on: November 29, 2012, 10:24:16 pm »

George Newton

'Sprouts' Elder

Tommy Farndon

Peter Craven

'Bluey' Wilkinson
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 03, 2012, 12:47:07 pm »
Foss, just as well it's raining here in Terrigal.....so I can't work.....I'm only up to page 14 of the photos....what memories !! Here is one from Amaroo Park in 1975, a 3 way with Central, St George and Fairfield.......I'm leading Peter Daly....don't remember No 45. I actually won the final.......were you at this one ?
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 03, 2012, 12:48:31 pm »
45 is possibly Mick Hockley on a Maico
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 03, 2012, 12:54:50 pm »
Good stuff Flirko..........this is so much fun !!
Here's one of Kevin Patton and me at Heddo Greta, NSW Title Final 1974

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 03, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »
DAve i, might be able to lend you a Sc500 for another crack at the title if you can put amotor back together, as im outa time to do it for you but im sure given the 9 months till the tapes drop you might be able to make it happen for yourself.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 03, 2012, 01:08:29 pm »
Freakshow........I will love you forever if that is possible........I have the time and DEFINITELY have the INCLINATION.....Let's make it happen !! :o

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 03, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 03, 2012, 01:58:48 pm »
For all the speedway lovers........I'm riding one out, one back for Central at our Biannual Teams Races with Taree at Old Bar in 1976....we got the champagne that year !!  ;D

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 03, 2012, 02:01:49 pm »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 03, 2012, 03:03:36 pm »
Freakshow........I will love you forever if that is possible........I have the time and DEFINITELY have the INCLINATION.....Let's make it happen !! :o

sure.  send me a picture of the bike as you want it and i should be able to send you all the bits to do it.  i may have to send you a 364 prefix frame (250cc) but exactly the same frame, just as my 500 already is together at another project.  but sure happy to work with you.  if you intend riding it more than the once thats cool too but you will need to put some side bearing in the case etc just to be sure ( ther elike $10 each from CBC) other than that i should be able to send everythign else if not we can buy it online easy enough and ill get it shipped to you, i just donw want to get screwed over and you send back a forked up motor cause no one checked the bottom end out and you ran the ring out of it....... been donw that road before. >:(

Looking at the foto it looks like you have a 73 SC.  which is no biggy just means ill need to loan you the GRey tank, just dont fork it.    Where are living and who do you know, just wanna do a background on you so my stuff doenst walk on me, no offence.

left side of avatar has my email details maybe talk about it offline.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:08:10 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 03, 2012, 10:10:52 pm »
Bloody hell, Dave you've brought some memories flooding back, in the shot of the three way at Amaroo you mentioned Peter Daly, Pete started my addiction to rorty big singles, riding his Alky burning Ariel around the footy oval at Heathcote, sadly,he passed away some years ago. Pete and Col Barber, George Heggies sometime passenger, introduced me to Short Circuit racing at Nepean.
Another mate of Pete's and mine is # 515 Alan Hill, he made it to A grade very quickly, he's up in Cairns and still rides roadbikes.
That shot of you in the Griffith pits has Connie Sheilds in the background, a great lady who  did heaps for the sport, Griffith would be my all-time favourite track, the people were very welcoming and couldn't do enough for visiting riders, and the track was superb , still is !

Here's a results list from Griffith in '71 or '72

The riders underlined are St George riders and note that TQs and Class 2 Sedans were also on the program
Foss

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 04, 2012, 04:47:42 pm »
Great stuff Foss !! I didn't venture down to Griffith until 1972. My Central mate Ray Cansdell No 292 cracked the exhaust pipe on his Hagon-Bultaco and Ted Goddard, who met us for the first time at Saturday practice, took us back to the Orchy Orange factory,( he was the manager) welded it up and let us leave the trailer and bikes there overnight. What a great bloke !! It's funny, his 4 or 5 year old son was in awe of us.....Racing Riders ! Of course that was Peter ( the rest is history ! ) When I arrived on Saturday I had the WORST cold. All day I kept eating the FREE oranges. I woke up Sunday morning......NO cold.....A MIRACLE !! I went on to win the Unlimited C Grade ( on a 250 Yammy ). A great track , I think the grader driver was a roadmaker by trade......It definitely makes a difference !!
The following year 1973 I was a B grader...on the same bike......and won the Unlimited A Grade !! Like you, I had trouble with Dick Fitzgerald !! >:(
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:50:39 pm by Purple Dave »

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 04, 2012, 05:05:38 pm »
I know Mick Gardiner lives in Western Australia.....at least he did about 7 or 8 years ago, and I spoke to Kevin Wright at the Nepean 50'th......at least he looks old enough now to have a licence !! ::)
Do you remember Reg Southgate ? He used to arrive with THE COSSACKS in full COLOURS, get changed into his leathers and ride in C grade on a 350 JAP........I found out in the 80's he got killed on his road bike. When I had my big off at Temora in '74 ( caused by Langy !! ) it was Neil Appoloni that T-Boned me....not his fault......his front wheel and forks were GONE !! :o

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:11:16 pm by Purple Dave »

Curly3

« Reply #1093 on: December 04, 2012, 05:06:50 pm »
Good on you Freaky but I reckon Dave should be checking you out first. ;D
We're back in action Foss thanks to Smed & Dave but how much more history is hiding in the top of peoples wardrobes?
Ian, we're still waiting for your contribution. ;) :D

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 04, 2012, 07:59:56 pm »
 Looking good this. I see in the results  A. Garvey had a bit of a day out ;) Also my dear friend the late Harry Rowe (sidecars) was in the money. Griffith was Harry's favourite track and in a sad twist of fate he passed away there.
C'mon Fozzy, we know that you have some piccies ;D
  Cheers  Mark