Author Topic: What is your 1st memory of Motocross  (Read 34269 times)

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What is your 1st memory of Motocross
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 08:48:32 pm »
Now that the youth has had a say---my first memories of "scrambles" was about 1947/8 in Kalgoorlie.The local ace was Ken Marshall a bike shop owner whose bike was called "Shafto".A 5T 500cc 1939 Triumph it was stolen [new] in Perth ,ridden to Kalgoorlie and dumped down a mine shaft. Marshall found it ,bought it from the insurance company ,and resurrected it enough for duty as a scrambler.
 Also ,starting out in his career was a wild young talent called Bill Watson. Little did I imagine that 20 years later Bill & I would fight out the WA Speedway Stockbike C'ship , and 60 years on would be racing him at Classic MX .

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 08:00:37 pm »
WARNING
 I know some don't like to rehash old threads,but you just never know who you may have filled in "back in the day;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 08:12:48 pm »
The Kid down the road getting a CR 125. Going to Amaroo park with my Dad and seeing Mr Motorcross about 75 ish
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 08:24:54 pm »
Gaston Rahier - Samford MX track - South Arm Tassie
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 08:46:49 pm »
Gaston Rahier - Samford MX track - South Arm Tassie

Was that the Aust title meeting could never remember the name,

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 09:21:57 pm »
Mine was Ravenswood in 81, going to watch a school mate have his first race. He was a bit out classed on his 76 125 Elsinore against all the latest watercooled single shock bikes. He got a good start but ended up mistaking a berm for a jump, went over the bars and knocked himself out! That was when they still had the water crossing and was the track I most wanted to race on when I first got into VMX.

Harro

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 10:03:25 pm »
My first memory,
In my day it was called scrambles and being a Newcastle boy (Novocastrian) I was in Belmont Club and the president was Ken Thornton and he ran some great events and even though we didnt usually get to ride them (guns only) I used to flag marshall a lot to get close to the action.
This was the turn of the tide from scrambles to motocross late sixties early seventies venues like Foster Park,Mulbring,Dunlop Lea and Mt Sugarloaf and some great riders Hans Applegren,Roy East whom both became great mates in later life....also Scaysbrook,Clarkson Ivan Miller Klitland  and the list goes on.
The best memory from those days was Ivan Miller on a HUSKY at Foster Park where every one else were just riding over one of the jumps near a creek he just hit the gas crossed the the bike up waved to the crowd and this was unheard of in those days what a gun .......great days
Harro
PS also at the same time Frasers had Sammy Miller at Mt Sugarloaf riding a Bultaco Sherpa in a trials event and he made Warren Fraser (a gun in those days) look like a neville I know its not a MX memory but it was shit hot in those days for a 17 year old kid from Belmont to see the greatest trials rider on earth!!!!!!

mx250

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 10:15:05 pm »
As an 8-10yo push biking down the Jeep track to the back of the Cross Roads pub scrambles circuit and watching 'uninvited' ;D.

Then attending the Moorebank circuit - Fisher's Leap on all that.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 10:54:03 pm »
Mr motor cross at sydney showground approx 1980 give or take, i reckon steven gall was on a yammy but i was ten years old, so i wouldnot debate the point. Dad drove us all the way from the Druit,  whalan to be exact.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 11:19:50 pm »
My first meeting that I competed at was Christmas Hills Grand National meeting in 1973. I felt like I was thrown in at the deep end for my first meeting in C grade as I had no idea what to do or how to do it. The guys that supplied my ride for the weekend picked me up in Ballarat on the Friday night and took me to Melbourne to stay with someone that they knew that made motorcycle exhausts and handlebars. He and his wife treated me very well and took me to Christmas Hills the next day. My newly aquired sponsors turned up at the track with 2 trailers of bikes including 3 TM250's ,a TM125 and a kitted TS185 mxr. I rode about eight or nine races for the weekend and fell off about 10 or 12 times which wasn't the greatest outcome to impress newly aquired sponsors but luckily they stuck with me for the next four or five years.

Stan.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:50:54 am by Stan S »

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 11:41:35 pm »
D project i think i was there that day... my first memory of an actual race was at Ravenswood in the mid 70's, when elsinores and RM A's and YZ B's ruled the roost. c grade 125 had 3 full classess, c grade 250 had 3 full classes, c grade open was full,  B and A  grade had full grids of all capacities. i still have the programs somewhere.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 07:45:40 am »
I first became bike conscious and aware of scrambles from a guy called Bruce Harper who lived across the street in Wanganui, had a bike called Marmalade and his son Gregory was my mate. Also we lived a bit later up the street from Rod Coleman at one point, so had the odd race bike test run past the house.

First meeting I went to was at Whakatane when Miller, Ploen and co on RHs were fighting it out. I got a double on a Velocette Venom that belonged to a neighbor called Graeme Lowe, who had been IOM rider. I got to be flag marshal and taught to ride a TS125 so totally hooked ever since.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 08:19:53 am »
Slawesy - that track was Sandford.

:D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

firko

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 01:59:34 pm »
that belonged to a neighbor called Graeme Lowe, who had been IOM rider
And went on to play and coach Rugby League for NZ and Manly ;D

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2011, 08:05:14 pm »
Is that for real about Graeme Lowe?. Unabashed Manly supporter that I am, I remember Graeme Lowe well. Never would have picked him for a bikie.