Author Topic: KLX's - a shared disease  (Read 146030 times)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
KLX's - a shared disease
« on: July 31, 2007, 04:22:11 PM »
Hi gtmpaul,
I just read your Introduction and thought you might like to see my partially finished KLX resto. A long way to go, lots of details and engine rebuild to come. This resto seems to be taking a long time - I didn't realise that owning a vintage motocross magazine would mean that I never get time to work on my own bikes.

Anyway, once our home renovations are done and I have finished painting and landscaping I will be back into it [probably after Xmas at this rate]. Anyway it is something to look forward to.

Keep posting the KLX images. Its good to be green.
VMX42
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 05:35:32 PM by vmx42 »
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
Re: KLX's - a shared disease
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 05:57:43 PM »
wow looks great love the swing arm

Offline gtmpaul

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:52:39 AM »
Hi,
would that be a KX125 tank as it looks a bit smaller, also are the forks KX?
how have you managed to overcome the rear shock problem, I have considered resiting the top mounts and use shorter shocks.
The pipe looks good too

Paul

a couple more pics

First one when it had a steel UK spec tank and seat
and what it looks like now

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 03:58:55 PM »
Hi gtmpaul,
I noticed on your initial post that you said you had lots of KLX articles. I have been chasing one feature for ages now.

It was a comparison between 2 modified KLX's. It was in a US mag in probably 1980 or 81. From memory it was Cycle Guide. I lost this issue in one of my house moves over the years. You wouldn't have a copy of it by any chance.

I also have many KLX articles, some from Australian magazines that you might not have. If you are interested let me know.

Re my KLX resto. I made the pipe in 1.5 inch stainless steel [1st one I've ever done and it wasn't as hard as I thought], Geoff Morris made the muffler. The pipe is made in 2 pieces [with the join just behind the side panel] to make it easier to fit and remove. The stock one is a pain as you have to remove the airbox to get it off. It also has a rubber mount just behind the airbox to stop it being pushed over and melting the airbox. If anybody out there has a KLX airbox that hasn't been melted by the pipe - hang onto it [or sell it to me] as it will be worth a fortune one day. As rare as Rocking Horse Droppings.

I really like the look with the KX125 tank and side panels [much better than the stock KLX ones]. I have a KX swingarm that has been modified to fit the KLX [not on the bike yet, it needs a little bit more machining, but it really looks good]. The shocks are Technoflex in the original 18' length. Like you I thought about modifying the suspension but in the end I bit the bullet and bought the appropriate shocks.

The forks are 43mm RM Suzuki with the twin-leading shoe front brake - mounted in KX triple clamps [which just bolted on after swapping the stem from the original KLX clamps]. The KLX carries so much weight on the front end it really needs a decent set of forks. These ones have gold valves and the correct [I hope] springs. The twin leading shoe front brake should be much better than stock as well.

I've got a couple of engines for parts etc. I just have to assemble the best one. At present I am trying to get a megacycle roller cam [without much luck]. So as I said I will be back into it after Christmas. I really look forward to riding it.

Speak to you soon,
Thanks
Jeff Keen - VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

derail

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 07:30:19 PM »
Hi Guys, Its good to know there's a couple of others out there with a passion or problem centred around Kawasaki's early KLX.
I havn't much time so I will post later and outline what started as a bit of fun and then turned into an obsession to make a KLX both fast and reliable. Suffice to say many hours, much research and more money than I am prepared to state on a public forum (My wife uses this computer too) later, I think i've won
Anyway, I think I have the article you are looking for VMX42. If Iv'e done it right it should have attached. If not you will need to tell me where I went wrong

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 07:19:31 AM »
HI Derail,
I checked your attachement and it was an empty word file. The images you imported weren't included.

As for where you went wrong, I can't say. I use graphics programs all day but I have an aversion to all things associated with Mr Gates - its Macs or nothing here.

I am assuming that the images you placed in the word files were scans of the article I was after? If so, just attached the scans themselves - individually. It would probably be sensible to do a test and just attach 1 to see if it works. Otherwise you can email them directly to me and I will distill them into a pdf file and put that up for the other OZVMXers to access.

You can contact me at: jeff@vmxmag.com.au

Always glad to meet another with the green affliction.

Catch you next time.
VMX42

Offline gtmpaul

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:29:16 AM »
File works ok with mine, opens as a Word document.

Just a few more pics

Paul

derail

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 10:46:06 PM »
Hi Guys, great to see all the KLX photos and literature. I seem to have problems attaching photos, but I will give it ago.
 Like VMX42 I fitted a front end with a twin leading shoe front brake. Mine was from a CR Honda simply because that's what the bike wrecker had. The rear wheel is KX250 and I solved the melting air box by shaping a thin piece of aluminium sheet and riveting it where the pipe passed by.
The engine took heaps of time and I think I could put one together in my sleep now. Big bore, high compression piston, stroked crank, mega cycle cam, R&D valves and springs. Lots of attention to engine assembly detail coupled with good oil and an additive called Comp Cams and I have had no wear problems. The best mod is to fit that 1/2" piece of aluminium rod that comes with Mega cycle cam in place of the tacho drive in the head. That way all the oil floods the cam and rockers and ensures great top end lubrication.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline gtmpaul

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 08:03:20 AM »
Hi all
as I said I have loads of old magazine tests, I'll post a few if you tell me the secret of reliability.
counter shaft nut came loose on Saturday, luckily with no damage.

Paul

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »
They are a nice looking machine, hmmm maybe one day... Thanks for the article, it'll make good reading when I should be working!

Tex

Doc

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 05:31:41 PM »
Better add my 2 cents worth. I thought I'd lost this pic in recent times but I did manage to have it stored online for just such an occassion. The KLX below is kind of a joint venture with AJay but at present she's tucked away in the garage awaiting some spare time and spare funds. Still quite a way to go but she still looks the part ;D problem is for a short arse like myself it gives me nose bleeds everytime I climb on it  ::)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 07:09:45 PM »
Lookin' good Doc! ;)

We'll have you weaned off those pesky Suzukis any day now..... ;D

Doc

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 08:00:22 AM »
 :D Thanks Ajay, I've always stated I'm kinda partial to Kwacks also. Green and gold..very patriotic don't you think! (truth is, pics can be deceptive, still a long way to go on this beasty) ::)   

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 02:56:18 PM »
Hmmmm that end can looks familiar ???
Jesus only loves two strokes

Doc

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »
 ;) fear not Loz, she was only fitted for start up and pipe hanging purposes. Truth be known, it'll be taking the bark out of a TM400 in the near future ;D
I be looking for an old retro Supertrapp for the KLX in the meantime.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:13:11 PM by Doc »