Author Topic: KLX's - a shared disease  (Read 146492 times)

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: KLX's - a shared disease
« Reply #270 on: May 23, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »
read all of the 18 pages of this thread and you should find everything you need to know on klx's even the mod on the plug/gap spacer  you make for the tacho drive to stop the wear on the cam journals in the head as kl's shared the same head as the klx

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2017, 05:32:14 AM »
Thanks Matt.
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 15, 2017, 08:51:02 AM »
Derek
What length shocks do you have on your bike??
Regards
David

Hey guys figured I'd share my klx and get some insight. I upgraded to a vm34 and the change is amazing. Pulls wheelies easily. the throttle response and acceleration is awesome. My problem is cold starts. It takes forever to start it cold. It floods with choke EVERYTIME then I have to let it sit and start it with the throttle cracked. Main jet is 230 pilot 25 needle is at the leanest point.

Dave's not here man

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »
Hoping someone can point me towards a solution to my cold starting problem with my KLX 250.

The bike is completely standard. 

I have to kick it for 10 minutes to gradually get it to fire and run, progressively more and longer till it runs and idles.

I found some Start Ya Bastard down the plug hole helps but it is still a bastard.

Once its warm/hot, it starts virtually first time every time.

Thanks

Pete
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 21, 2017, 04:40:16 PM »
Id go carb problem. does your choke operate? pilot jet clear? richer pilot? try another carb? get your carb dipped in caustic cleaner?

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »
sounds like it is very lean on the starting circuit. as above big clean out, blow all the circuits out with comp air, check the jets arnt cemented up with crud, especially the pilot jet. should sort things out. check air filter is clean, good knick and well oiled. spark plug newish?? spark plug cap ok? muffler not blocked by wasps?? float level right? fuel flowing down you fuel line ok? tank breather not blocked??

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »
How old is the fuel?how long has the fuel in the bowl been there?today's petrol goes stale fast in the tank and off in the bowl of your carb,I always turn the fuel tap off and run the bike out off fuel then no cleaning the carb 3 months latter when its blocked all the jets up with shite

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 24, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »
Guys thanks very much for the info. I was worried it might be something worse.

For future reference for someone having a similar problem .I bought it off a neighbour who rebuilt the top end about 18mths ago and hasn't started it much since.

Got new rings, valves etc to spec. by him.

I put new plug, cleaned and re oiled the new filter, put new oil and filter in, new 98 fuel and Pea Beau-ed the wasps before I kicked the crap out of it ;D and used half a can of startyabastard.

Keen to check the stuff you suggested and sort it. Thanks again.

Pete

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:07:15 AM by Husabergpete »

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 06, 2017, 11:26:44 PM »
Klx's start much much easier if you follow the standard big single drill, just ease the piston just past TDC let the kicker swing back up and then kick. Because that's rarely needed when hot it's not obvious that that is what's needed cold. Would be easier with a compression release lever but.. Mines a pig from cold if I don't do that.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »
old ign's are also an issue, maybe try a different box top coil etc. see if that helps. get a multi onto the main coils and see if they are in spec. just cos there is a spark doesn't mean there is one in the hole

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 01, 2018, 05:31:12 PM »
KLX guru's,

I have invested in a low hours KLX that has been used on the road only.

I'd like to make the modification to the Tacho Drive by adding the pin, sorry for my lack of knowledge but do I need to remove the head etc to add the pin or can it be done via the plug screw/bolt on the top of the head.

Kind regards

Pete

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 01, 2018, 09:04:01 PM »
read all of the 18 pages of this thread and you should find everything you need to know on klx's even the mod on the plug/gap spacer  you make for the tacho drive to stop the wear on the cam journals in the head as kl's shared the same head as the klx

its in here somewhere... :D

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2018, 06:11:24 AM »
Thanks 80-85,

I have most of this printed out from before. It mentions cutting down the spiral gear on the end of the standard KLX cam that drove the tacho so I expect that has to be done with the head off.

As for the staring issues previous - had the carb ultrasonically cleaned, now starts 1st or 2nd kick cold and hot. Also put a new inlet manifold on as the original was starting the crack.

Thanks for the help.

Pete

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2018, 04:11:23 AM »
I'm posting this for the previous due to the messaging service not obviously working....
As far as I remember one has to cut the tacho drive threads off the cam. Next insert a spacer so the oil doesn't pool in the open space
However  this only works and is needed if your bike is one of those sent out by Kawasaki with an  end cap instead of a tacho drive unit running a tacho cable. If your bike has one of those then the gap is already filled in, at least that's what I think, so there's no advantage. I have two bikes. One engine has an aftermarket phospor bronze insert In the head in place of aluminium . The other one has a roller bearing head which came very late , possibly only in the KLs. The cam is a single bolt fitting to the sprocket but appears to be the same profile. I had an aftermarket cam which I destroyed  running  low on oil but I haven't had it fixed as it made an already peaky engine even more so.
As far as I recall one takes off the cam sprocket and the cam comes out., so one can  do all the work without removing the head.  [ If you don't have a tacho drive]
I just bought a parts book and manual off ebay. Use a top quality motorcycle oil and let the engine tick over for a while after starting to oil the head. These engines are over carbed and the pipe [according to a mate who tunes for a living] is too big a diameter, all of which make the carb very sensitive to changes in intake  air and exhaust. I changed to  needle jet  P-0 on a standard engine.
 As an aside megacycle do an end cap bearing conversion which Grouty has got, he may have had a few made up to sell. You should contact him as he's the guru not me.. and buy a bloody manual you cheapskate!

Offline The Stroker

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 17, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »
Hi guys
Heard somwhere a ts 185 kick starter will fit a klx. Can anybody verify thi sc please.
Cheers Brett