Author Topic: favourite rider  (Read 17963 times)

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: favourite rider
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2009, 02:28:22 am »
Another Aussie who excelled in several types of racing would have to be Andy Haydon, top National level motocrosser, S.A. 24hr enduro winner, Australian Safari winner, 3rd in Dakar Rally and also rode in Long Track GP'S at Bathurst. All of the Haydon brothers could pretty much ride the wheels of any bike, but Andy was the standout.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2009, 10:29:55 am »
It's interesting how Ricky Carmichael doesn't get much of a mention in lists like these.
Also interesting how despite his great success, his wins don't transfer to bike sales.  ???

RC was a machine.. a extremely dedicated man. The G.O.A.T ;)

Agreed.  Hands down best ever.  Bubbles had nothing for him.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2009, 09:47:08 pm »
ricky carmichael is a great rider  ;)
but didnt get much mention
because the question was who was your hero
or favourite rider back when you were racing 8)
they have nearly all been covered
special mention  tony d , hannah, magoo, weinart 8)
                      trevor and gary flood ,anton alers 8)
                      roger decoster, joel robert, heikki mikkola 8)

cheers rusty ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2009, 10:20:43 pm »
Anton Alers could have gone onto great things. I was there at Xmas Hills the day he broke his leg.  I believe he later took up rally driving. I wonder what he is up to now?

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2009, 11:42:03 pm »
Anton Alers could have gone onto great things. I was there at Xmas Hills the day he broke his leg.  I believe he later took up rally driving. I wonder what he is up to now?

He's an Architect based in Singapore .He married Miss Singapore Airlines or one of them.
Kees passed away last year .Anton and Christine and kids have been living in the old house but I noticed that they are not there now.Maybe back in Singapore .The company that he works for has offices in Singapore and Melbourne .

I agree - Anton got 5th at an international mx in Holland at the end of 76 against GP riders before he came back and  got the deal with Milledge for 77.I believe the plan was always to go back to Europe.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2009, 06:41:11 am »
USA     Ricky Carmichael    Bob Hannah    Rex Staten
Auz      Mark Firkin
Euro    Roger
Unzud  Pete Ploen and barry Senn
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Motoxrox

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2009, 12:49:47 pm »
 Ivan Miller... 1976 New Zealand motocross Champs New Plymouth Rnd
 as a 12 year old who hitched out 10km to see his 1st mx event...the guy on a RM370 with number 0  and wore road bike gloves just had me captivated,straight to the front, full throttle,i can still smell that castor oil !!..in tow were Ploen,Harrison Bros,and the mighty thunderous CCM of Reg Dixon (if it started)..still seems like yesterday.  ::) that was me first taste of the drug "MX"
As for the overseas riders they have all been mentioned

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2009, 12:52:45 pm »
One we all missed-DON NEWELL- has had a MA/ACU license for 60yrs straight. Is there anyone one else in the world that can top that??

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2009, 04:06:15 pm »
I'm a bit of an introverted ex Victorian so fav riders were Jack Pengelly, Trevor Flood, Gary O'Brien and Karl Morlang and Rex Wolfenden  (Maico obsession probably shows here) and was really annoyed at how fast Ronnie Dinsdale was in all of the races I went in with him and only saw him from behind. MX sidecars Ron Bergmier, Daryl and then Russel were it and a bit. When moving to Speedway it was Johnny Dewhurst, Phil Crump and Danny Kennedy in the solos with Terry Rooney, The Walkers (father and sons), Clarrie the Clown and Peter Tolley. Lots of diff names there, maybe I'm just a bit different.
NQ Rosco.

number 87

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2009, 04:21:10 pm »
Euro(s) - Heikki Mikkola / Eric Gunderson
Yank(s) - Rick Johnson / Mark Brelsford
Pom - Dave Thorpe
Aussie(s) - Stephen Gall, Craig Dack, Wayne Gardner, Robbie Phillis 
Kiwi - Neville Hiscock

All had/have big nuts

Cheers #87

Curly3

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2009, 04:57:10 pm »
I did say Gary O'brien earlier and being an excellent rider as he was it was Dave O'brien on Short Circuit that I meant.
I never saw him ride but legend was that he used to park his bikes against a tree on the farm until his next race meeting and he would turn up with grass growing through the wheels and covered in spider webs.
He'd then dust them off, put in a new plug, pump the tires up and go out and beat everyone.
Apparently he was a hard charger who would bounce of other riders to help him turn into corners and had a habit of pulling competitors throttle cables as they raced down the straight.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2009, 10:39:03 pm »
Aussies : Anthony Gunter , Steve Gall, Jeff Leisk, Beetle Bailey.
Euro : Heikki Mikkola, Eric Geboers (first rider to win 125, 250 & 500 World titles).
Poms : Graham Noyce , Simon Wigg (5 times World longtrack champ, absolute showman/entertainer/wheelie king . Sadly died of a brain tumour at 40 years of age).
Yanks : Brad Lackey, Jim Pomeroy, Marty Smith, Bob Hannah, Danny "Magoo" Chandler.   

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2010, 12:25:22 pm »
It's interesting how Ricky Carmichael doesn't get much of a mention in lists like these.
Also interesting how despite his great success, his wins don't transfer to bike sales.  ???

Here you go Tony T Friday's news from OS.   ;D but still no ride bike talk  :(

Ricky Carmichael Hard Charger Award back in 2010
Posted: Saturday, 17th April, 2010 : 7:17 AM - - 270 Reads
Ricky Carmichael
With the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship season-opening Rockstar Energy Hangtown Classic just around the corner, MX Sports Pro Racing and Ricky Carmichael have confirmed the return of the Ricky Carmichael Hard Charger Award for 2010.

Named for the most successful rider in American Motocross history, the Hard Charger Award recognises the one rider who emulated Carmichael's never-give-up attitude across both the 450 and 250 classes during each round of the 12-race season.

While the Greatest of All Time (G.O.A.T.) continues to develop his stock car racing résumé by competing in the NASCAR-sanctioned Camping World Truck Series, his legacy is forever enshrined in motocross history by giving the now prestigious award to the rider who passes the most competitors in a single moto each weekend.

It's a nod to the man who won 102 AMA Motocross races, captured 10 straight AMA Motocross Championships, had three undefeated seasons, and two perfect ones where he won every single moto-all AMA Motocross records. He also added 48 wins in AMA Supercross and took five titles there, giving him career totals of 150 wins and 15 major titles, records that will likely never be broken.

"I think the 2010 series is shaping up to be one of the most competitive seasons in a long time, and it's awesome to know that MX Sports Pro Racing has decided to continue the tradition of this award," said Carmichael, who drives for Turner Motorsports.

"It was an honor that they created such an incredible award in my name and I'm always eager to find out what rider overcame the most adversity each round. It takes a true competitor to battle his way to the front during a 35-minute moto and I look forward to seeing which 12 names will hang it out most this season."

"Since introducing the Hard Charger Award during the 2008 season, it has become one of the most warmly accepted accolades in the sport," said MX Sports Vice President Davey Coombs.

"Ricky set the standard for having the will to win every single time, be it in triple-digit temperatures or in deep mud-and always with 39 of the world's fastest riders breathing down his neck. It takes a special kind of determination to be successful in motocross, and Ricky Carmichael exemplifies that better than anyone."

As mentioned above, Carmichael is the winningest rider in the history of the sport and the most successful AMA Pro Motocross champion ever. The G.O.A.T. retired from the sport after never losing a single Lucas Oil AMA Motocross title, from the time he was a rookie in 1997 through his decision to stop racing full time in 2006-and he still came back and won every national he entered in 2007. Carmichael is currently building upon a very young four-wheel racing career and is in the midst of his sophomore season in NASCAR's champion-building truck series.

The Rockstar Energy Hangtown Classic commences on May 22 from Rancho Cordova, Calif., showcasing the most talented riders in the most prestigious series on the planet. This is where motocross starts and it is where the world will be in just over a month's time.

Best is in the West !!

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2010, 08:50:56 am »
Euro: Roger D, Heikki Mikkola,Moiseev
Fantasy MXDN Team: USA. Hannah, Magoo, Carmichael and Stewart can come as a reserve!
                             Belgium. Roger, Robert, S Everts, and Geboers

USA: Hannah, Magoo,Ward, Tony D, Howerton
AUS: Grunter,Gall,Beetle Bailey

Offline oldie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2010, 09:54:28 pm »
I'm a bit confused........................the heading says, favorite rider, & you fellas name up more then one ???