Author Topic: Down Pipes Rule  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Down Pipes Rule
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »
I think that a lot of the genuinely good looking bikes happened to be fitted with down-pipes, but I don't think that makes down-pipes pretty in themselves.

I mean, the standard pipe on a CR125M doesn't send anyone's heart racing... does it!?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »
Well... yes. A bit...

True, some genuinely nice bikes just happen to have down pipes (the KX250 again), but for me the downpipe is a part of what makes them attractive. I dunno why. I especially like those downpipes that dump into a single integrated cylindrical muffler, like the Circle F pipe I had on my TM125. And some of those pipes on the dirt trackers, very nice.

Now don't misunderstand, I'm not pinning posters of CR125s or KX250s on the dunny door, I just like the look. It works for me. It somehow gives a bike a certain feel or emotional cue that a bike with an up pipe doesn't have. I love the look of say a 79 CR250, or 80 YZ250G, or Kent Howerton's works RM, but the pipe is not part of what makes those things look good.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 09:09:18 PM »
The original Hodaka 125MX Super Combat down pipe are sweet. No photo OK
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 04:33:53 AM »
'The Super Combat' Now your talking nice. I thought I was the only person in Australia who thought they looked nice  ::) Darcy #674
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »
Is this one of those? Snapped at CD5.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 06:58:04 PM »
Yes. SOOOO sorry I sold mine. >:( Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 08:00:31 PM »
I started out racing in the 70's on a Super Rat, I'm so sorry I ever sold it :'(.Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

DR

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »
Always wanted an old Hoddy but like all the oddball bikes no-one seemed to want they are rare as rocking horse poo now days :( I'd also love a Carabella, or a Fantic or a Simonini or an Ancillotti, or a TGM, or a Gori, or even a Zundapp! Regardless of any stigma attached I'd have any one of them warts and all..with a down pipe fitted of course!! ;D

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »
My opinion is any pipe that is hand crafted out of small sections is hot. Up or down. The more welds the better(welded neatly of course).