Author Topic: Wombat - the new bloke.  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Wombat - the new bloke.
« on: September 22, 2007, 11:41:10 pm »
Gidday - I'm new to this forum and my mates call me Wombat. I'm now keen to return to the MX fold after a hiatus of some 29 years.
It was the front cover of VMX magazine that caught my eye some time ago; I can credit this quality magazine with 're-igniting the fire'.
I forget the bike on the cover but it was one from the 70's and I was amused to see it listed as 'vintage'.
A flick through the VMX mags every time they hit the Newsagents brought back fond memories of my time racing in the late 70's.
One thing led to another and I began looking at VMX on the various web sites. I wasn't aware the 70's MX scene is now revered as a golden era amongst the dirt bike fraternity!
Anyhoos, this OZVMX site alerted to an upcoming QVMX event not too far from where I live; near Mt. Tamborine.
I went along and spent the day looking at and admiring the old bikes I was so familiar with back in the 70's. The sounds, the smell of race fuel and the dust (ah the dust...) was the catalyst!
And I was pleased to chat with one of the Racers who was a friend I'd known and raced with but hadn't seen since 1980.
I gave up the idea of buying a 70's trials bike (at 47 I felt I was almost old enough to get into trials) and I've been chasing a big bore VMXer ever since.
Right now I'm close to purchasing a Maico; and I have my boots. So, if you see an old fat bloke naked on a 440 Maico wearing only steel plated Alpinestar boots it will likely be me.
If he's coming last it will definitely be me...
I'll buy the rest of the gear as I can find it - vintage gear if possible.
I'm looking forward to getting back into MX - slooooowly of course.  ;)

"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"