Author Topic: help !!! :S  (Read 1230 times)

Tom

help !!! :S
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »
G'day all bit out of the ordinary here but i recently bought a 98 model xr400 to register on the road but it was used as a bush bike hence no electricals hooked up  :'( i have no idea what i am doing and any help would be very very helpful   :D the bike has had a aceribis headlight put on it which means it was rewired the guy said and i've picked up a clean second hand honda headlight cause i got told the acerbis ones always break bulbs and are not really that good like i said any help would be appreciated thanks tom  :)

p.s dos any 1 have any hints on how to unseize front brake pistions on this model too???  :-[

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: help !!! :S
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:05:33 PM »
Step one. get a workshop manual with a wiring diagrame. Haynes or Clymer should make one, or just go for a genuine from your local Honda dealer.

take off cailiper and use a G-clamp to compress the pistons in. remove any gunk on the out side. use compressed air through the bleeder valve or hose inlet ( i use a piece of inner tube with a tiny hole for a good seal) and they should pop out. cover the piston with rag so it wont shoot across the bench. remove seals etc, wash out cailper with detergent/water or brake cleaner and a tooth brush, and scrub clean/dry. if it wasnt leaking then maybe you can re-use old seals, otherwise fit a new seal kit. check pistons for rust/pitting. minor marks may be able to be polished out with a scotch bright type deburring wheel. assemble pistons with a smear of rubber brake grease (DONT use normal bearing grease) or brake fluid on the seals/piston. you should be able to press in pistons by hand. re assemble/refit cailiper, fill rservoir with brake fluid and bleed brakes. well thats the general basics. the workshop manual will tell you more sepcifics for your model.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:10:00 PM by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:01:18 PM »
Tom, try your local dealer for a wiring diagram as the ones listed in Haynes/clymer manuals are for tre U.S. models with no indicators etc and the Australian model is different. Any Honda dealer will have access to this. With your caliper, check E-bay, i bought one out of the U.S brand new, pistons, seals and all from a guy in San Diego who had a heap of them for the princely sum of about 45 dollars plus postage. That was few months ago, but i couldnt imagine they would be a huge volume moving part.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:12:26 PM »
i have a complete wiring loom with switches etc
if you are interested
cheers rusty ;D
follow me to first turn