Author Topic: Postage Costs for eBay Items  (Read 4775 times)

Doc

Re: Postage Costs for eBay Items
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »
Ironically I have had more 'trouble' err, let me rephrase that, I have had more 'unpleasent experiences with' Aussie sellers ::)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:03:40 PM by Doc »

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 05:44:19 PM »
complete rear brake backing plate for a CR500 from the US about a month ago cost me $15 dollars.... :)

mx250

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »
One prick from the USA after stating $20US postage for 2 items decided to keep the $65US that I had to send him for the 2 itemised bike parts. When the package arrived I noted that the postage stamp was indeed $20US. After he ignored 4 messages, I hit him with 2 lots of Neg feedback. Well the messages arrived thick and fast then....eventually he apolagised and refunded me the $45US difference.
;D ;D ;D ;D

The moral of the story is 'always buy multiple items - has great impact on his negative feed back'. Excellent.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 12:07:07 PM »
Postage from Canada is the killer. I paid $95 US for surface mail on a plastic Can am tank.

I hate Ebayers who try to make a living from the postage.  Postage is just part of the deal of selling on ebay.   if they don't want the drama then they should just sell for pickup only or put it in their local rag. By posting you get a worldwide customer base and a much better price for your item.

I have been charged triple the amount by an aussie who's excuse was he lived 25 k's from the post office. And four times the amount from a yank who's excuse was it took up his valuable time to go to the post office.

Always ask how much postage is upfront and if it's unreasonable, don't buy it.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 06:19:03 PM »
I posted this one before but ended up in a real nasty "discussion" with an aussie seller who after buying the item said $15 to US $60 to Perth from Melb?????  Long story short was that people had started to nail him for trying to make up low selling items with postage.

My 100% rating suffered because he complained.

Rossco

1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Tony T

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 09:05:16 PM »
Always ask how much postage is upfront and if it's unreasonable, don't buy it.

I think that's the key. Ask questions early, and if there's any doubt, leave it alone.
My latest example was a NOS crank assy that he wanted $US75.00 postage for. I asked the question over a few friendly emails and ended up paying only $US40.00 postage.   ;D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 08:03:30 AM »
While not defending outrageous postage costs I will say that it can be hard to quote postage costs.
International is easy as it goes on weight only, you just have to allow for the packaging.
National however goes on size as well as weight which can depend on what mood the postage workers are in & their ability to use a tape measure. If you use the website it will often not allow the item to be posted because it is too big, but will be taken at the post office without problems. I often quote postage for products but find the actual cost is different to the website quote. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. Usually +- $10.00 or so.
You may find some of these sellers have been caught out before & don't understand how the system works, these guys will probably come around with some e-mails, the ones that don't are just greedy.

I sold a set of universal footpegs on ebay a few years ago, I listed them at $1.00, sat back & waited for the bidding war that was to start my early retirement. After a week, in the last minute somebody bid $1.00 for them >:(
I stitched him up on the postage though, I charged him $4.50 but when I got to the post office I found it only cost me $4.40 ;D ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 08:34:38 AM »
hey geoff you still doing them 1 dollar foot pegs  ,do they come in pairs or are they a dollar each lol

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »
bloody lousy dollar compounds ebay hassles....just bought that dvd 'one chance to win' from the states....only twenty bucks for the item....and only ten for postage.....sounded good at the time....then convert to aussie dollars and you get five cents back from fifty.....

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »
hey geoff you still doing them 1 dollar foot pegs  ,do they come in pairs or are they a dollar each lol

Sorry Paul, I can't keep selling them like that or my bank account will go the same direction as my Super account is going at the moment :o
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 11:38:03 PM »
As I have bought the odd item on evil bay here is what you can do, and most sellers are OK with. For the exercise i am assuming we are talking the US here but it would apply to most DEVELOPED counties - not sure if Thailand is quite there yet?
If you think you are getting stiffed ask what the TOTAL weight of the packed item is. Then head for usps.com and check the rates for yourself. It is a very easy site to navigate and gives all the options including insurance etc.
Once you are armed with the facts go back to the seller and hit him with the figures - if need be send him the URL link which you have received from the postal calculation.
Then you have leverage and he can't do anything UNLESS the seller has quoted those disgusting 'packing and handling' fees. It's not Walmart for F**** sake!
Check when the parcel arrives to see if the postage is close but don't be anal either as the weights can vary etc but if it is steep threaten them with bad feedback bu tdon't be an arse about it.
Alternately make a friend in the US and have all items sent on the continent and have a periodic bulk shipment.
I've been buying a lot of old BM stuff and have noiced some very erratic postage charging of late in the US - I think they are a bit desperate for cash these days.
Another new bullshit thing some of them are up to is to say they want compensation for standing in post office queues - give me a break!!!
Shame about our dollar - makes the last Fox front end I bought VERY expensive.
Cheers
Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted