Author Topic: Qld Rego  (Read 2890 times)

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
Qld Rego
« on: December 20, 2016, 11:03:05 AM »
Anyone know if both engine and frame numbers are used for bike rego in Qld. I'm thinking of restoring my old RT3 Yamaha and getting it rego-ed again but the original frame is badly rusted, so I was going to use a DT1F frame but don't want any problems with rego.

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Qld Rego
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 12:30:42 PM »
need both

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »
ask tmr i am sure if memory serves
motorcycles did not have compliance plates
until after 1975  regard al

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 11:31:33 AM »
Has either the frame  or the engine been registered before? If you have evidence then thats a good start.  Now the tricky bit is QLD lost a lot of old records in a flood  before they were computerised.

The best option is to try it on as is but it will be needed to be registered as the frame model  as Pre VIN bikes  use chassis numbers.  Give the roadworthy testing guys a call as they deal with this stuff all the time.

I did an Old guzzi  a while back but i could show it was pre compliance plate which is a whole different bucket of smelly prawns.

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.
It was registered to me before with the same engine but the original frame was replaced with a stretched and lowered version back in 1977(I've owned it since 76) but no changes were made to rego after the change . The original frame is in quite poor shape as it wasn't stored well. I do have a couple of good DT2 frames to use but have no history on them. I could do a neck transplant on a frame but that is a lot of work if it's not needed.
Definitely pre-compliance plate which makes things easier. Although I do have all the original lights , instruments and exhaust to use.

Just looking at the Rego application form and there is only 1 line for " Vehicle identification number/ chassis number" which to me could be the Engine number. Probably up to the roadworthy guy to decide which number to use although it does say chassis number. I should give the roadworthy guy a call.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:29:55 AM by sleepy »

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 10:43:03 PM »
you need frame or vin number and engine number.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »
up to about mid 70's VIN is the chassis number. once adr's came in, vehicles were issues with a VIN plate and that number is the VIN number, different to the chassis and the engine numbers but may contain parts of them (matching numbers etc)
that's how I understand it.....