Author Topic: Mikuni VM float height  (Read 11828 times)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mikuni VM float height
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 10:22:03 pm »
Been thinking about float height versus fuel level and it strikes me that they might not be the same thing.

That video above is measuring fuel level, but it might not correlate to a defined 'float height' measurement from a manual, depending on float design, float arm design and carby design.

Or have I completely missed that point?
Fred, as you know, a liquid always finds it's own level.  So when you put a clear tube in the bottom of the float bowl and run it up the side, the level will be the same in the bowl and in the clear tube.  When you compare them side by side, your tube should have fuel up near the top of the bowl as a rule of thumb. If the fuel in the tube was only half way up the bowl, or right up over the bowl, then you know your float needs adjusting.
I did mine on the bench, using some fuel going into the normal fuel hose to fill the carb, and using a clear hose to check how much was in the bowl (as my new VM36 was severely flooding).  I just adjusted the floats until i got the correct height of fuel.  Then i measured my float height and it was 22mm.  The factory setting is 18mm https://jetsrus.com/carburetor/carb_mikuni_VM_series.html , which was causing the fuel to overflow the bowl and fill the cylinder. I am not sure why the bowl overfills at 18mm factory setting but it sounds like Tony has the same carb problem.  I don't think a defined measurement from a book is that important.  The factory probably did the same check as in the video, recorded the float height from that, and took that as the official float height and put it in their owners manuals. 

Cheers,

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 09:17:31 am »
That is exactly what I was thinking. Fuel level should probably be around the top of the float bowl, but float height measurements would be dependent on the design of the carb, and the buoyancy of the floats etc. For example, if brass floats have been repaired with swags of solder, then the stock measurement will not work.

Bloke in the video was saying he was setting the float height using the fuel level, which are different terms.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 02:35:47 pm »
Same Same, but different...

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 03:47:58 pm »
Decided to check on a hunch while changing the filter, I had cut the long bellmouth that the new carbs come with down to 15mm (roughly half original length) but shining a torch down the hole it looks like it may be making contact with the aluminum airbox
Would that cause the problem? Airbox is rubber mounted

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 05:59:02 pm »
Finally got to try out the changes at a vintage atv event today, started out fine then rained while we were waiting on the line. Called it a day after the fourth race when it started raining again, felt I'd learned enough & have next round of the eNZed series next week
From memory I put the clip in the middle groove of the 6F5 needle as well as lowering the float height to 19 or 20mm. The blubbering has gone which I'm happy with but I'll put the float height back closer to 17-18mm as every now & then it felt a bit flat, normally after winding up through the gears uphill & through a flat up corner with a decent dip after it or down a straight that had a few dips in it
I had also turned another 3mm of the airbox side of the carb so there was no clearance issues