Author Topic: repacking new sealed bearings  (Read 6903 times)

Offline EdgyAl

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: repacking new sealed bearings
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 05:13:25 pm »
I’m still having a shit load of trouble making ceramic ones on me pottery wheel...........
Tell Patrick Swayze to go home and you might be more productive.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 09:21:05 pm »
I’m still having a shit load of trouble making ceramic ones on me pottery wheel...........

Time for some automation then Tim  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Z5v4NybWA
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 02:21:11 pm »
LOL good one

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 10:50:48 am »
back in the seventies when i was racing 125s and 250s both mx and road i would just change the bearings regularly before they got a bit rough never bothered repacking them as the more grease you put in the more drag that they have but used to give them a squirt of oil. when i got back from a meeting after the bikes were washed they would be pulled completely down and cleaned from stem to stern generally on the monday morning before the workshop got too busy and check every thing like all bearings and bushes not a huge job then get the first year to give it all a good wash and re assemble generally monday night frame wise that is and the engines would get checked later in the week and rings or pistons replaced as needed. in the scope of things wheel-bearings are very inexpensive items.
i would say check and oil weekly only need a little of some good oiled if the seals aren't damaged you won't have any problems. Oh and by the way std sealed ball races will function on a conveyor belt with just a tiny amount of grease added like a pump every couple of days for ages.
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 10:54:13 am »
conveyor belt bearings run a lot slower though don't they Chris?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 11:25:25 am »
just been doing maintenance on fans for Adelaide Brighten Cement average shaft size 75mm  SKF bearings
one particular bearing stood out it was overly packed with grease mobilith sch 220 synthetic to be exact and that bearing got very hot indeed outer race was straw in colour and baked on grease
so more is definatly not better
and after we repack bearings the drag increase is very noticable