Author Topic: Still blows smoke!  (Read 7741 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Still blows smoke!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 06:06:31 AM »
the best way to see if its sucking gearbox oil is to drain out oil fill with Castrol R start up bike and use your nose the smell of burning Castrol R is unmistakeable as long as you are not using it in you petrol that is
jim

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 08:04:14 AM »
in the "70's i used to use diff oil in my air filter because it was thicker--certainly had a distinctive smell if it sucked a bit through or maybe i was thinking of my stuffed PB Vauxhall come to think as ran it in that till it drank the lot lol. Anyway, put a litre in your gearbox & you'll soon know!! & so will the neighbours. Be very unlikely for the center gasket to leak though unless misplaced on assembly or had case damage etc but gotta be an answer there somewhere.

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 05:00:22 PM »
I recon there could be case damage, filling the gearbox results in filling the crancase.

Offline Momus

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
I fixed a similar issue on my RM370 for one ride by replacing the phillips head screws in the cases with shcs's and tightening them carefully and well.

I subsequently replaced the center gasket and both seals to be sure.
If you love it, lube it.

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 08:27:11 PM »
Since you have already run the gearbox with no oil in it, I would just split the motor check everything and replace all bearings, seals and gaskets. Good luck

Offline MaxPower

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »
It probably is the crank oil. But those bikes are really restricted with the stock exhaust. If you have the money get a RM exhaust and give it a try. The worst that can happen is your bike will run better and be lighter after you have it together again if the issue didnt turn out to be a oil filled twin wall exhaust

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015, 10:54:24 PM »
Its got a FMF on it, and I really dont think running it for a short period of time in neutral will damage any bearings.

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 04:42:37 PM »
Ends up after splitting the engine and finding the centre gasket OK and cases OK that the new Genuine crank seal that I fitted has the wrong ID  :'(
Incorrectly supplied from my Suzi dealer....BUGGER!
At least I found the problem

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 07:08:05 PM »
thats alot of effort and cost to find out the dealer forked up on 1 seal but at least you know where your bottom end is at and no need to go in there for awhile